Getting a good to-go laptop

Hey! I was wondering if anyone can help me on what specifications i should be looking for on buying a on the go laptop that can handle Sony Vegas on it without lagging the whole computer.Sometimes when I film say a live event, the person running it will ask if i can show a early footage taken. Now sense you cant just sync audio and video without editing i have ran into a problem. It will also help on road trips back so I can start editing then and there. So anyone know how much ram i should look on having on this, or anything else that matters? My budget is around 800$.

- Frank

Check out this link (towards end of the page): http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration. For laptop I am not very sure but a quick search found - ASUS N56VJ-DH71 (if you can stretch $150 more or look for a better deal) or Acer Aspire V5-571PG (touch screen) may be worth checking out. Also Dell and HP does have 8 GB RAM laptops.
Hey I think I found one that fits the needs. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 8 but heres the specs
Operating system - Windows 8 64
Processor - AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M (3.2GHz/2.7GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
Screen size - 15.6-inch diagonal High Definition BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
Memory - 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive - 640GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

It's the HP ENVY dv6z-7200
Look good to you? 550$

Wouldn't touch a low end AMD processor(especially a mobile one), they won't hold a candle to an Intel. Plus, all you have is the poor gpu built into the chip.

This Asus for $600 isn't a bad deal. Much better than that HP for $550. Upgrading it to 8GB would be all that would need to be done. The processor will be better, along with the standalone gpu. Can't go wrong with a bigger HDD, either. And, I'd prefer the W7 over W8.

Last edited:
Hey I think I found one that fits the needs. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 8 but heres the specs
Operating system - Windows 8 64
Processor - AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M (3.2GHz/2.7GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
Screen size - 15.6-inch diagonal High Definition BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
Memory - 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive - 640GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

It's the HP ENVY dv6z-7200
Look good to you? 550$

Since its an AMD dual core I would suggest you should move ahead for newer models unless you don't want to feel outdated. Definitely go for an 8 GB as Sony recommends so. Check out Samsung Series 3 laptops too. take your time before you finalize because there are lots of models which have manufacturing issues and sold at an attractive price.

I would like to recommend an MSI notebook, theyr not overly expensive, use good components, have good warrenty, and I have excellent experience with them myself. For $800, you can get the CX61.
Thats an i7 processor, 6gb of ram, 750gb storage, and a standalone Nvidia 645M graphics card, which will nicely speed up your gpu-accelerated processes.
link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152377

That said, almost all laptops in this price range use the horrible, and outdated 5400rpm hard drives. The MSI does the same. I can't really recommend anything using these drives for editing, as faster drives would do wonders for your editing experience. Manufacturers try to market their notebooks with lots of ram (even though you are often off with less but faster ram), lots of disk space (even though you are often better off with a smaller but faster drive), etc, etc.

So I would strongly recommend having the hard drive upgraded after you buy it. Your local computer store can swap out that slow hard drive with a solid state drive. SSD's have read/write speeds that far exceed traditional HDD's, and come alot closer to the speeds of RAM memory, and improving your entire experience.

The good thing is, you can always do that after you buy the notebook. The MSI will give you the most bang for buck (as far as i know) If editing goes smoothly then, thats good, don't change a thing.
If you still feel you want to improve, you know that the hard drive is the bottleneck.

P.S. Sweetie is right, if it doesn't absolutely have to be a notebook, you'll get even better bang for buck buying a desktop.

Last edited:
Back