• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with a logline

Hi all,

It's my first time using this forum and I wanted to use it so I can seek some advice with a logline for a film that I'm writing.

I don't want to tell you too much about the film, what I'd prefer is for you guys to imagine that you're some bigwig movie exec, looking for a new project to greenlight and these two loglines come across your desk. Which one do you think is better?

The title of the film is: Creatures Seeking Approval

Logline 1:

A modern gay couple explores an open relationship. Heteronormativity is just so old-fashioned.

Logline 2:

Samuel and Bryan are a modern gay couple. They're depressed, they're self-loathing and they're about to explore an open relationship.

I'd love to hear your opinions, which of these do you think is better? Or are they both terrible?

Not sure what you mean by modern gay, perhaps you should use the word experimental or young? And I have no idea of the story/plot, sounds like one scene.

Answering your question, the first is better because it gives pretty much the same information with the second but in only one line.

Nevertheless, someone should know the plot to see if your logline is proper.

Also I find your logline a bit confusing. It's like the couple tries two experiments. The first is the clear one, trying an open relationship and the second arises from the fact that you name them "modern gay couple" and that you say heteronormativity is old fashioned, so it seems that they are not really gay but they are just trying it.

Names are not required for loglines unless if you specify a name and everyone recognizes it. Instead of saying "Samuel and Bryan are a modern gay couple. They're depressed, they're self-loathing", you can say as "Depressed, self-loathing gay couple ..."

Neither of those would lead me to read them IMHO.

Here's a different approach to help look at it from a different angle.

A gay couple, dissatisfied and depressed at the current stagnant state of their love life, decide to begin an open relationship in an effort to rekindle their romance.

Optional: Add the results as a second sentence.

I prefer the first but I echo the sentiment that neither is quite working for me maybe something along the lines of:

A self-loathing gay couple's experiment with an open relationship leads them to [what happens?]

Back