• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Good audio monitors?

So I have recently discovered that audio is very important in movies (yes, bit of a newbie) :)

So i'm getting a zoom h5 and ntg2.
but audio is a whole new world of knowledge for me. I have no idea where to start even.

I need good speakers ( i guess) for my editing
Ryan over at Riotfilm recommends KRK ROKIT RP-5.
and focusrite scarlett 2i2.

Now I don't get it, is the scarlett like a sound card? you cannot connect the speakers to the computer like regular 2.1 or 5.1 speakers? Considering the costs, is the scarlett 2i2 really worth it?
what do you guys think? what do you use when you edit your audio?
any suggestions would be helpful...

I reposted this post in a better area (computers and software) of the forum.
sorry..

Last edited:
The Scarlet is for recording into your computer, such as voiceovers or ADR. If you intend only to use the audio you've collected with your field recorders, the expense is unnecessary for a newbie.

As for the audio monitors, I've been using Audioengine speakers for years and I have no complaints, though I've never heard the KRK ones.

The Scarlet is for recording into your computer, such as voiceovers or ADR. If you intend only to use the audio you've collected with your field recorders, the expense is unnecessary for a newbie.

As for the audio monitors, I've been using Audioengine speakers for years and I have no complaints, though I've never heard the KRK ones.

Ok. Thanks.
Whick audio engine speakers do you recommend/use?
Also, can you plugg them in directly to computer, or do you need a "receiver" or anything?

I personally use the A2 speakers. I heard a demo of the A5's though, and though they cost a bit more, they're pretty incredible!!

They have a regular miniplug which will plug into just about any computer or even the headphone jack on an iPhone. There are good sound cards out there but they're not required in this case.

Good luck!

I personally use the A2 speakers. I heard a demo of the A5's though, and though they cost a bit more, they're pretty incredible!!

They have a regular miniplug which will plug into just about any computer or even the headphone jack on an iPhone. There are good sound cards out there but they're not required in this case.

Good luck!

Cool... Thanks.
This helps.
Now that i finished building my studio computer, i will focus next year on audio! :)

Back