• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Opening Credit Sequence...Who goes first?

If you have wrote and are directing a short film, and you have have an Independent Studio that will cover DoP /Sound / Editing / Lighting...when it comes to the Opening credit sequence, how does it go...If the Writer / Director has their own Production Company, and they are funding it, does it go first??? Spoke with the Studio handling my next film, and they want the Credits to feature their Production Company first, then 'in assoication' with my Company...Any thoughts?

whoever paid the most money should get to go first

I would have thought so...The Film is being solely self funded, but the Production Company have mentioned they want their title on first...But, will just need to discuss the matter more....
Was always curious any how's, when you would watch a film and how it would differ at credits

'COMPANY NAME Presents'

'COMPANY NAME in association with'

etc....always wandered what the diffrerence was, if there is one

I went back and re-read your post and it sounds like the other studio is helping in a big non-financial way, so maybe it's in your best interest to let them have first billing. It doesn't really affect you much so you might as well make them happy.

As far as the actual labeling goes, there are tons of ways to do it, and there is no "correct way."

If you both have animated logos, I would recommend just cutting from one to the other with no additional text.

If there's no animated or full screen artistic logo, using text like "in association with COMPANY NAME" is just a way to string along a few different companies working in collaboration, and the order of importance decreases as you go.

This might be an example if you had 2 companies helping plus your own:

"COMPANY WITH MONEY" PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS

IN ASSOCIATION WITH "COMPANY WITH LESS MONEY" MEDIA

AND "COMPANY YOU STARTED" PICTURES

A FILM BY "DIRECTOR NAME"

Then you can start with the rest of the hierarchy with above the line talent and crew. There's another thread on this board that goes into detail about that

Last edited:
But, will just need to discuss the matter more....
Was always curious any how's, when you would watch a film and how it would differ at credits
This is done by discussion and then finalized in a written contract. There
is no standard order. When more than one prodCo wants screen credit
the people involved sit down and talk about it.

Often the prodCo who initiated the project is listed first. But many times
the prodCo that put in the most money will be listed first. There are times
when a name actor or director has a prodCo and as part of their overall
deal their company name will be listed first even if they did not initiate the
project or put in the most money.

I'm a little confused.... you know what these people are giving you. You're working with them.

They help you (most likely?), give em some cred.

Although honestly, I've always felt that the Production Company that was stated "In association with" was kind of lesser in the matter... I'd certainly be asking for my spot to run first... but that's just me... if they funded it or even gave some money, I'd most likely do it their way... cause they are the money people.

I'm a little confused.... you know what these people are giving you. You're working with them.

They help you (most likely?), give em some cred.

Although honestly, I've always felt that the Production Company that was stated "In association with" was kind of lesser in the matter... I'd certainly be asking for my spot to run first... but that's just me... if they funded it or even gave some money, I'd most likely do it their way... cause they are the money people.

im confused to, simply because im a complete novice...the Film is solely funded by myself, as was my last one, which I have no issues with the Production Company used on that one, having their logo in opening credits...Just, would like mine to go first (reason I asked, was didn't know whether there was some type of industry rule on the matter, and with these guys im working wiith, being a lot more experienced, I didn't want to risk falling out with someone)

im confused to, simply because im a complete novice...the Film is solely funded by myself, as was my last one, which I have no issues with the Production Company used on that one, having their logo in opening credits...Just, would like mine to go first (reason I asked, was didn't know whether there was some type of industry rule on the matter, and with these guys im working wiith, being a lot more experienced, I didn't want to risk falling out with someone)

I reread your first post again. It says they are handling DP, Lighting, Editing, Sound, etc? That's quite a bit. Lighting, Editing, and Sound alone, I'd give them the credit they ask for.

Let's look at it this way. When Adam Sandler makes a movie, Happy Madison is almost NEVER the first production company credited. It's normally one of Sony's studios which have backed his directing and producing.

Seeing as how much they're giving you, I'd honor their request. In the long run, it won't have any real impact on you other than avoiding a falling out.

Back