Is this a good monitor for video editing?

Thanks for the advice guys, but as i was on a short budget i went with the dell u2410, the order from dell was horrendous but finally its coming on monday, i have a LG HDTV so il be switching continuously to check colours, as i do music production, its becoming ever so similar the whole process of referencing across different monitors both audio and visual ones, i was surprised at the almost identical process, but still its exciting stuff.

*Below no longer applies

Hi Im looking for a good Monitor to edit videos on :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-...screen/dp/B003A4H17S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

if not maybe one for similar price range?

also is there some calibration software under £200? iv never used one before so one thats easier to use perhaps?

I'm on a tight budget and not a professional when it comes to these things, but i learn pretty fast once iv got the product.

thanks

Last edited:
I'm watching this with interest, too. Some people calibrate with Spyder or something similar, but I've never tried it.

I am now in a position to buy a new audio card, video card, and monitor. I don't want to invest in a lousy video monitor, when I could have bought something that would have yielded much better results down the road.

Yesterday I read about folks using something like a Matrox MXO to calibrate the signal for a standard HDMI monitor. I looked into this, and it seems to maximize the calibration a 1:1 Pixel Mapping monitor is required.

So... I looked around to find a good, cheap IPS monitor with good color gamut. CNET liked the Dell UltraSharp U2412m-- but I can't find anything that says it would maximize the Matrox calibration with 1:1 pixel mapping.

I have also found conflicting information about the (even cheaper) LG IPS225T-BN. Some sites say it has 1:1 pixel mapping and others explicitly state that it does not.

Is a Matrox+consumer-IPS the most cost effective to get "close enough" calibration for home-hobby color grading? Are there other options that are more economical like (AVA or blackmagic) and, if so, what are those systems and what monitor requirements would that entail?

Could something like the Matrox MXO2 Mini output to a decent audio monitor set as well? Can it function as a replacement for a video card and an audio card, or would I still need an additional audio interface for my speakers? Would I still want a video card to maximize the Adobe Premiere CS6 or would the MXO simply bypass all benefits of the video card?

Yeah, I'd calibrate with a Matrox, AJA IO or Blackmagic device.

An AJA IO HD would be better for audio.

Something like an MXO2 mini, or a BMD Intensity would work, but I'd rather balanced XLR or TRS outputs from an AJA IO HD than the unbalanced RCAs on the MXO2 and Intensity.

Any of the AJA IO range wll give you calibration, and AFAIK, both the BMD Intesnity, and the UltraStudio will give you that as well - that's if you're looking for breakout boxes; some of the internal computer cards will give you calibration, but obviously that's not going to work if you're on an iMac or laptop

Last edited:
in the end i went for the Dell U2410 and got the colormunki display, I'm just a bit worried though coz i just read its not supported for mac, and i got a 13" macbook pro early 2011 base model, and i only have a mini DP to HDMI port at the moment guess il find out when it comes.

It will be compatible with Mac as long as you have the right inputs. Not supported doesn't always mean not compatible, it just means that if you have an issue, they're not going to be able to help you too much.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd set up two of these as my two computer displays:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/BT-LH2550.asp

And then use this as my playback/reference monitor:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/th-50bt300u.asp

Would certainly be a fun room to edit in ;)

Last edited:
here is a tip.. if you do color correction get a proper monitor.. if not get the best one for the price you find.. color corrected monitors are expensive so if you got a buddy that is a colorist is a plus. i work off two samsung LED monitors, they are quite cheap but awesome picture.. ofcourse if you talk to a colorist he will tell you those are the cheapest monitors he has seen.

Hi Im looking for a good Monitor to edit videos on :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2711-...screen/dp/B003A4H17S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

if not maybe one for similar price range?

also is there some calibration software under £200? iv never used one before so one thats easier to use perhaps?

I'm on a tight budget and not a professional when it comes to these things, but i learn pretty fast once iv got the product.

thanks

You might also want to investigate options like the NEC PA231W, the NEC P241W, Asus PA238Q, HP ZR2440w, Dell UltraSharp U2410, BenQ EW2730, BenQ XL2420T, and Viewsonic VP2365-LED.

The NEC P241W comes with its own calibration software and hardware, I think. Whatever you get, you might want to check out the lite version of DaVinci Resolve.

Last edited:
I use the advice from an old school editor and I take it one step further because of evolving technology.

You need really 3 monitors: a computer monitor, an HDTV, and a CRT TV. Making film you need to consider the different medias your production will be viewed from the most to see the differences from one to the other. I learned from editors who worked with Mac based AVIDs with Apple monitors and CRT TVs.

Working with all 3 will make you conscious of the safe margin difference from a computer monitor to an HDTV to a CRT TV. Also, there will be contrast and color differences from one type to another. How do you think studio productions work on everything from old TVs to computer monitors?

The sound for my 22 minute short was also mixed to work on everything from a home entertainment center to a laptop computer. I made a MP4 version for smart phones too.

I use the advice from an old school editor and I take it one step further because of evolving technology.

You need really 3 monitors: a computer monitor, an HDTV, and a CRT TV. Making film you need to consider the different medias your production will be viewed from the most to see the differences from one to the other. I learned from editors who worked with Mac based AVIDs with Apple monitors and CRT TVs.

Working with all 3 will make you conscious of the safe margin difference from a computer monitor to an HDTV to a CRT TV. Also, there will be contrast and color differences from one type to another. How do you think studio productions work on everything from old TVs to computer monitors?

The sound for my 22 minute short was also mixed to work on everything from a home entertainment center to a laptop computer. I made a MP4 version for smart phones too.

+1 on the CRT.

I've been in a lot of DaVinci 2k suites, and they always have an HD Plasma and a CRT. Talking to a colourist at FotoKem in Burbank, he said the plasma can sometimes be kinda funky, and introduce all sorts of different artifacts. In fact, as he was saying it, he paused the clip he was working on and said see those artifacts up there (pointing to the plasma), they're actually being introduced by the plasma. The CRT had a completely clean, artifact-free image. Properly calibrated CRT production monitors don't have any of that, and are the best monitor to use to colour grade on, or at least have as a refrence monitor.

I've also been in a high end Lustre suite at Deluxe in Melbourne, and that was set up as a small theatre that the Director and DP sit in, and a colourist at the back with his panel and computer monitor. They use a 4k projector to project onto the screen just like any cinema. The suite was horrendously expensive for anyone on an indie budget, but it was pretty impressive, and they get a lot of high budget people in there.

Last edited:
Back