• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting for beginners

I am currently in film school now and working on writing a 20 minute thesis film. If you are anything like me, you've spent a lot of time on youtube trying to figure out how to write a good story. Honestly it wasn't until this year that I finally started to get the hang of it.

So with that being said, I started a web series over on my youtube channel about how to write a screenplay for a short film. I basically talk about everything I have learned so far throughout my film school career haha. As of now I only have part one of the series, but I am about to post another addition very soon. It should expand to about 5-7 parts by the end of it all and I plan on making it as comprehensive as possible.

If you're interested in checking it out, here's the link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmEeISKlVto

If you are anything like me, you've spent a lot of time on youtube trying to figure out how to write a good story.
I guess I am nothing like you. I haven't spent even ten seconds
on Youtube trying to figure out how to write a good story. What
I did was read. And I read a LOT. Novels, short stories, screenplays
and even articles. And I wrote. A lot.

But maybe I'm "old school". Perhaps these days writers spend a lot
of time on YouTube watching videos rather than reading.

Most youngsters don't even have the attention span to sit down and read anything these days and finish it, let alone comprehend or retain the material. Sad really.

I totally agree with you, and I'm sorry if I caused confusion. Most of my inspiration comes from reading books and screenplays, watching movies, and just generally living life. Those are the best sources of inspiration. However, when I referred to searching youtube, I meant more for story structure and methods to apply to my ideas. Every story follows a basic beat structure. That is something you won't get out of reading unless you learn it first. From my personal experience, once you gain the knowledge of story structure, then you can holistically study screenplays and books, and ultimately write a better screenplay.

Most youngsters don't even have the attention span to sit down and read anything these days and finish it, let alone comprehend or retain the material. Sad really.

Jesus, fuck off with that, will ya. I know plenty of people from my generation who love to read. Myself included. I also know plenty of older people who don't.

And no, I will not get off your lawn.

However, when I referred to searching youtube, I meant more for story structure and methods to apply to my ideas.

No confusion at all. I, too, was talking about story structure and
not inspiration. I learned that every story follows a basic structure.
Not from spending a lot of time on YouTube trying to figure out
how to write a good story but from reading good stories.

I think it's great that you finally started to get the hang of it and
are passing your knowledge on through YouTube videos.

Back