Steven Spielberg: The Greatest Director

A

auteur13theory

Today, Dec. 18, marks the 57th birthday of who I think is the greatest director to ever live, Steven Spielberg. I grew up on his films. He has graced us with classics such as Jaws and E.T., educated us with The Color Purple, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan, he brought dinosaurs back to life in Jurassic Park and the Lost World, as well as entertained us with his recent projects of Minority Report and Catch Me I You Can. He has also been part of an endless number of projects that has entertained us through the years. To me, he is the greatest storyteller, and I would just like to thank him for what he has done for me as well as wish him a happy birthday.

What are your top three Spielberg films?
1. Schindler's List
2. Jurassic Park
3. Catch Me If You Can

1. Saving Private Ryan - quite simply the most powerful cinema experience I have ever had.

2. Schindler's List - I cried my eyes out during this film, I will never understand how we as humans let hate drive us.

3. E.T. - if I can ever make a movie 1/10 as enthralling as this one, then I will consider myself successful.

Speilberg is my icon. My only gripe about him is that he won't record Audio Commentaries on his DVDs.

Poke

I thought A.I. was ok but just hated the drawn out ending, mainly coz i was in the cinema waiting for the damn thing to finally end.
Don't forget his recent mini-series Taken either - that was quality!
:D

pokewowplayer1 said:
1. Saving Private Ryan - quite simply the most powerful cinema experience I have ever had.

2. Schindler's List - I cried my eyes out during this film, I will never understand how we as humans let hate drive us.

3. E.T. - if I can ever make a movie 1/10 as enthralling as this one, then I will consider myself successful.

Speilberg is my icon. My only gripe about him is that he won't record Audio Commentaries on his DVDs.

Poke

I can't believe I left out Raiders of the Lost Ark. I should be excommunicated from the SSWC (Steven Speilberg's Worshipers Club) on the spot.

Raiders is #3 hands down. The greatest Action/Adventure of all time. There is never a dull moment in it.

Poke

WeightOnWheels said:
A.I. great! underrated.

Yeah.... that movie didnt impress me, i dont know why it just didnt amuse me in the way i thought it would do, but still, a nice piece of work

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Jurassic Park 1
3. Raiders of the Lost Arc

HM: AI (I felt most people, including myself, were taken because it was so character driven, at most points not really just revelling in the technology of the time... the ending was quite interesting and unpredictable yet totally predictable - difficult to describe - but some say maybe even kubrick wrote the end), ET, CEoaTK, Goonies

have not seen: Catch me if you can, Duel, Schindler's List (I can't stomach most stuff about the holocaust)

1. Schindler's List --- probably always will be

2. E.T. ----- I just saw it the other day and I had forgotten how good it is.

3. Catch Me if you Can ----Mainly because it is fresh in my mind, and it is a rare film for him because he didn't generate the idea, more of a director for hire thing for him, and he didn't have the huge dollars he normally has

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I saw it at a young age and it's only time I ever walked out of theatre and walked right back to see it a film again.)

2. Jaws (Classic man vs. nature)

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Pure fun)

4. Saving Private Ryan (Hopefully makes people think twice about war.)

5. Schindler's List (I think I could only sit through this movie once. It's just too painful.)

Scott

I've always felt that Spielburg only really delivers on Sci-Fi. So,

1) Close Encounters - (For the same reasons as Scott)

2) AI - (even though I'd rather of seen Kubrick's intended version and Spielburg blew the ending)

3) Minority Report - (Where again he blew the ending)

I enjoyed Catch Me If You Can much more than I thought I would. Even on subsequent viewings, my feelings for the picture remain strongly positive.

But my favorite of his will likely always be Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yes it is. The Goonies (also previously listed) was a Richard Donner movie. The problem is that Speilberg was the EP on both films. So sometimes he gets mentioned as the director.

Poke

Duel with dennis Weaver and close Encounters. I cant believe Close encounters is over 25 years now. I remember seeing that at the theatre.

I wish more UFO movies were made. Good ones like that with good story lines. Not all this flashy high tech stuff that has to carry the movie along.

auteur13theory said:
What are your top three Spielberg films?

1. Jaws (some of teh best cinematic characters & suspense ever - still hold up today)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (set a tone & style still unsurpassed)
3. Saving Private Ryan (again, re-invented a cinematic style unheard of before in movie combat realism)

three of the most variant and diverse films all from the same director.

The 3 most underrated Spielbergs movies

1. 1941 ( I loved it as a kid & I like it better now)
2. Empire of the Sun (the first Spielberg film where the kid grows up in the end)
3. The Terminal ( a paint by numbers directoral number that was still very, very good)

Back