I truly need your help

I have this posted in another forum too, please don't 'flame' me for doing so, I really need the information.

So: I'm 16 years old and live in the UK. I have several ideas for short films, as well as two feature films, scripted and some storyboarded. I now need a camera.

Is it possible that somewhere in the UK, I could be given the money to purchase a Canon XM1, XM2, XL1S, or someother 'prosumer' camera? Or instead of money, just be given the camera itself? Now, I need any help at all getting to this goal, so any hint you can give me, no matter how small would be incredibly fantastic.

And just to reiterate a point, I'm not asking for funding for the shorts, scenes (or eventually films), just for the camera.

CalumH said:
I have this posted in another forum too, please don't 'flame' me for doing so, I really need the information.

So: I'm 16 years old and live in the UK. I have several ideas for short films, as well as two feature films, scripted and some storyboarded. I now need a camera.

Is it possible that somewhere in the UK, I could be given the money to purchase a Canon XM1, XM2, XL1S, or someother 'prosumer' camera? Or instead of money, just be given the camera itself? Now, I need any help at all getting to this goal, so any hint you can give me, no matter how small would be incredibly fantastic.

And just to reiterate a point, I'm not asking for funding for the shorts, scenes (or eventually films), just for the camera.

I don't think anybody is going to give you a camera, but my best advice would be to find someone who owns a camera, and collaborate with them. You can write/direct, they can DP.

don't take this the wrong way but................

listen, I have this deal for you that will get you your camera, its called W.O.R.K., seriously though, get a part time job doing something. You know life is not a place where you just make a wish list and then WHAM the wish fairy comes in and grants you everythign you ever wanted, no, you need to start at the bottom of he pole and work your way upward. I don't mean to sound mean here, but honestly, to ask for something and not give in return is both childish and lazy.

I fully agree with cgregory. You can't just expect to be handed a camera. If it was that easy I would have already done that.
How hard have you tried to find someone who will collaborate? Try posting on a board like this and see if anyone is interested. I bet you will get a response.
Hey if that doesn't work get a job, make some money and purchase a camera. That is always a good option.

Well this isn't exactly the "honest" thing to do but it works as long as you do not have a long drawn out production shed. I did it myself for a short.
Buy a Camera-shoot-return. Many Stores have fourteen day return policies. If all else fails.
Good luck.

"get a job"

yeah no kidding. but that kid is just askin a question. Plenty of people find ways to circumvent or beat the system. Takes tenacity. And outside-the-box-thinking. Lots of grants out there for creative people.

You gotta do the diggin. While nobodies ever just "given" me a camra, I have found ways to get money from "the system".

"shoot and return" there ya go. One of a million of different ways to "beat" the system.

He's just askin...

But, yeah, hard work pays off too. No doubt about it.

Welcome from the UK :)
Well it's true your best bet is to start working and getting used to that and dealing with cash.
But there are grants and such out there but im sure they have conditions on them and whether that requires experience or anything im not sure.
I know talentcircle.co.uk has a good resource section with hints etc.
If you're serious about doing filmmaking then hook up with the UK newsletters and websites and learn a little about the industry.
Shootingpeople.org is the UK writers network.
Some people can get away with renting a camera but that's not exactly cheap and in the long run you're probably better off buying your own.

Aside from that all i can think of is a college or uni course where they will provide you with the equipment and you MAY get the chance to work on your own stuff as well.
Best of luck :D

Possible camera sources

Hey

Don't despair. Let me suggest a couple directions that may help.

Firstly, the fact that you are only 16 may be your biggest asset in getting use of a camera.

What you need to do is contact your local arts funding organisation and your local council and ask them what facilities and training schemes they run for young film makers. You may find that real close to you, some youth organisation has exactly the equipment you want to make your film, plus a whole load of editing goodies, plus training.

If not, don't despair, check out your local Further Education College and find out if they run a part time video production course, If they do, sign up for it and get some basic training. This will also give you access to equipment and other people to help you crew it and people with their own equipment, who might help you.

If you are erious about film making as a career, maybe you could look at doing a two year National Diploma in Media with your local FE College, which would give you two years of training, plus access to kit.

If all else fails ... get a job.

Clive

I hope that my reply does not come across as a flame.

Are you sure that you need a camera? You may want one, but do you need one? Could the camera be postponed while you do something else? There have been many times when I have thought that I needed something, but finance didn't permit, and after a while it occurred to me that I didn't really need it. Is it only a camera that you need, would you need an editing suite and a projection screen as well?

All I can think of is www.findit.co.uk where you can browse for things and post a free advert. I think you're going to have to offer some money in return though. A long shot is is to run the camera name through the www.google.com search engine like this "cameraname" +"message board" and through the www.dogpile.com search engine like this "cameraname" AND "message board" and find message boards that are dedicated to that camera, and post the same query there. Perhaps you could invite someone down to your place that owns one in exchange for board and maybe a fee. Also try www.ask.com and ask questions, the more to the point the better, like Where can I buy a used cameraname?

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you want to try it out filming these.

Back