• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Quick Question........

Hi there!

Quick question...I've got two screenplays for sale (both are advertised here under Screenplays) I've got a few people that have read the synopsis' and first 30 pages of the scripts (some read the full script) and are interested. What is my next step? Do I ask what their budget is and go from there? What all should I ask and do?

:huh:
Screenwriter

Last edited:
Unfortunatly the answer isn't a quick or easy one.

When you say "interested", what do you think they mean? Interesting in buying it? In that case the next step it to ask them how much.

They are interested in buying it.....YEA!!!!!!!!
But, should I ask what their budget is and they give me a percentage of their budget? What do I do afterwards?

I agree with directoric in that there isn't a standard answer.

From most producers I'd expect an offer of an option, but that's unlikely until they've seen the whole script. No matter how ggod the first thirty pages is, if there are structural problems the producer is going to want to keep the film in development until the film is ready to raise money on.

The value of the option will be directly determined by a number of factors, not the least of which is how desperate you are to get your first feature credit. An experienced producer will come to an unknown writer with a low or zero figure for the option, explaining that the expereince you'll gain in going through the development process will be of great value ot your future career. This is usually the time that you'll hear phrases like "Well, I can see the potential in this script, but I'm going to have to invest a lot of my time in devleoping it with you."

The money side of the business is almost always determined by who, whom most. If the preoducer needs your script more than you need to sell it the price goes up, if you need to get it into production more than the producer needs to acquire it, the price will go through the floor.

I think the only piece of advice I'd give is this:

You are auditioning the producer as much as they are audtioning you.

By this I mean beofre you option your script out for nothing, or even for a fee find out what else they've done. If it their first feature and they plead poverty ask to see some of their shorts. Whatever you do, you need to see some benefit for yourself in it and if it's not money, it's got to be a good product that is properly marketed.

see what they offer, then if that doesn't live up to what you are willing to part with the script for, ask for more. Know what you are willing to drop to for cost/credits/control. Be realistic about it...if it's your first script, those expectations should be lower than if you've done work that's been picked up in the past. Knowing that it'll make the next ones have the potential to sell for a little more...et cetera...et cetera...

You shouldn't let your screenplay go for less than $100K. Standard average sale price for a feature is $250,000, but the wiggle room for buyers floors at $100K. Don't worry about their budget, worry about yours.

check with plagiarist.org before you sell it. Im not saying you plagerized someone, but often people have simular visions when writing a story. Sometimes people dont realize their writing a story based on a movie or story they saw or heard as a young child. thinking their story is orriginal before someone slaps a copyright lawsuit on you.

I think Michael Jackson was sued by someone whos song sounded very simular.

If they do buy...do I get a percentage from their budget?

Writer fees are supposed to be a percentage of the production budget. You should look at the WGA website for guidence.

However, it's not as simple as just selling the script. There is a staged process.

Stage One - an option or shopping agreement.
This is where the company says "We like this project and we'd like to develop it for production." This figure can be a low $2000, for a three year option. The option gives the production company three years exclusive rights to try to get the film into production. This stage may also include the need for extensive rewrites. The number of rewrites are usually contracted into the agreement. However, it may also include the right for them to get the rewrites done by another more experienced writer.

Chances are that three years down the line the option will expire with the film unproduced. This can happen for any number of reasons. Some projects that look hot just fade away over time.

Stage Two - First day of principle photography
The next payment stage is normally on first day of principle photography. It may be your whole fee, or it may be a part payment. 50% is standard. If your fee is 5% of the budget, then on a $100,000 budget you'd expect to see your first $5000.

Stage Three - Completion - If the filmmakes it all the way to completion then you'd expect your final payment stage. Your final $5000.

The other deal that you might get offered is called a defered payment. This more than often means that you only get paid when the film is sold, post completion. This also called a "back end' deal.

The formula is usually that you get less on an "up front" deal, because the producer is taking the risk and you get more on a back end deal, because then you are taking the risk.

Back end deals are common on indie projects where resources to make a film are more available than up front cash. This is how it's possible to make a $500,000 film when you've only got $70,000 in cash or direct funding. All the rest of the film's costs are defered.

The real problem with back end deals is that there is always a heirarchy of who gets paid. This usually means investors first. the trick to negotiating a back end deal is to ensure that not only do you get compensated for taking the risk, but also that you get placed highest in the heirarchy of payment.

The other probelm with back end deals is a little scam called the "rolling gross." This is where the producer adds more and more costs into the picture, so on paper the film never goes into sufficient profit to pay out on the deferments. The producer, of course, is earning off the costs.

Last edited:
Not sure where you guys are getting your numbers, but there needs to be some clarification.

Options run from 6 months to 1 year with renewals. Nothing over one year. Option fees run from $1 and up, depending on the prodco.

No one gets 5% of the budget other than an "A" list writer. Most of the time it's 3% and done in stages, usually 40-50% up front and the rest upon completion of production. A low budget of $2M production costs will only get you $60K, (like $30K against $60K) so the $100K b.s. is not a "floor".

afac - My suggestion is to ask them for a written contract. This is where most people (including me) would suggest getting an agent, manager or lawyer. If you don’t want to do that, then read the contract carefully. If the offer is something you think is fair, sign it.

If you want changes, make a list of the things you would like to change and ask for another meeting.

If a percentage of the budget is something you want - ask for it. Since it’s not a guild project there are no rules. They can offer .25% and you can ask for 25%. The standard is 1.5% to 4% depending on many factors - but the producer doesn’t have to adhere to this standard.
Pilyav said:
You shouldn't let your screenplay go for less than $100K. Standard average sale price for a feature is $250,000, but the wiggle room for buyers floors at $100K. Don't worry about their budget, worry about yours.
I’m with Writumcowboy - I’m not convinced $250,000 is the standard average sale price for a feature script, and I wonder where you got that number.

I know writers get paid that much, but I think your standard is a bit off. The WGA minimum for a movie budgeted at $5,000,000 and above is only $97,068 so maybe your standard is based on WGA sales. The non-union, independent, low budget standard is much less than 100k.

I make entire movies for under $75,000. There is no way I could pay $100,000 for the script.

Thank you guys soo much for your input! It helps alot.........Keep it up!

afac81a
:yes:

PS: I have two full features that are available. (they are listed here under Screenplays)---Go check it out!
;)

Last edited:
Back