FR2-le replacement

My venerable and formerly trusty Fostex FR2-le (bought used on eBay) has capitulated and now need a replacement. Need it for documentaries and narrative. Use it primarily with boomed mics.

Am looking for a like-for-like replacement meaning:

- As good an SNR as I can get
- Portability
- Similar characteristics around 2 channels, phantom, ruggedness, battery life etc...

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
* Edited *

The option I like the most is:

- Tascam HD P2 because the pres seem to be stronger than the Tascam DR680
- Add an MM-1

I'm comfortable with only 2 XLR ports because that's all I need.

However, battery life is a major issue. The FR2-le was incredible and with an aftermarket battery lasted, well, never found its limits.

I am almost tempted to buy a brand new Fostex but again would value your opinion.

Last edited:
If you are going to be using a mixer/pre you don't have to worry about the mic pres in the recorder.

Now that you're in replacement mode with a bit more budget you may want to reassess your needs/configuration.

You may want to pair the Tascam DR-70 with a Sound Devices MixPre-D. A bit above your budget, but will bag well, give great sound and be very upgradeable.

There are lots of possible permutations out there.

Question about pres. My thoughts were that if I bought a mixer with good pres and a recorder with good pres, this would be a strong combination as the combination would be strong. Is this correct?

For most purposes, no. It's like taking two of the same lens when you don't bring a second camera to the shoot. If the mixer breaks, then the pre-amp on the recorder becomes relevant, much like the second identical lens won't matter unless you scratch or smash it.

Question about pres. My thoughts were that if I bought a mixer with good pres and a recorder with good pres, this would be a strong combination as the combination would be strong. Is this correct?

Sending audio through one pre then through another pre is kind of like hooking up 2 24-70 lenses to your DSLR, one looking through the other one.

You can technically do it, but it does not add any quality - it would detract. The result would not be pretty.

You gotta decide where your preamp stage is gonna be. Is it gonna be only on the mixboard? Set the recorder to record line level. Is it going to bypass the board? Use the pre on the recorder then. Don't use both, t'wont be good :)

Thanks for this by the way!

So, I could buy a 302 right now and hook it up to a spare DR100 or even buy a DR70. This would then turn it into an awesome piece of kit.

Otherwise, I could buy another used Fostex (reason for the Fostex is battery life) and hook it up to a 302.

Is this correct?

The Tascam DR70 looks good but the issue I have is battery life. FR2-les seem never to run out of power so I was wondering which field recorder would last a decent amount of time.

Last edited:
Thanks for this by the way!

So, I could buy a 302 right now and hook it up to a spare DR100 or even buy a DR70. This would then turn it into an awesome piece of kit.

Otherwise, I could buy another used Fostex (reason for the Fostex is battery life) and hook it up to a 302.

Is this correct?

The Tascam DR70 looks good but the issue I have is battery life. FR2-les seem never to run out of power so I was wondering which field recorder would last a decent amount of time.

you can run portable battery packs that charge your phone to run off the portable recorders such as the tascam, these would last a few hours per pack and only cost around £10 each..

So if I want to buy a Sound Devices pre-amp (e.g. an MM-1), how do I power this externally? Its 2 little batteries are going to run down extremely quickly so was wondering if there is a solution.

Do you know how to do this?

Moose, they're indigenous to north America. That means you can pick up an Uzi, M50 or even some heavy artillery or a grenade launcher at the local store or off the web before you head out into the bush, an angry moose has no chance!

G

With the sound gear, I'll be able to hear it coming from a mile away. Still have a ringing in my ears.

That gear is seriously powerful.

Back