Directors Calling Directions

I'm not sure where to post this, but...

Hello. While watching behind-the-scenes footages of movies during shooting, I've noticed (especially after I bought the Life Aquatic DVD) that directors tend to call out directions to the actors or camerapersons whilst acting is occuring. Being a filmmaker myself, I thought "Gee, that would be really convienent!". But, I came to a haunting question: what about what the director says? I guess my question is: Do they take out the callouts from the director in post, and if so how do they still maintain the original audio? Or do the mics just not pick up on the callouts? I'm quite confused :huh:

Interesting comments, and too bad they ended up with two very strong personalities clashing. I can see both their points.

I, for one, will give my actors "cues" to when to move if I think they are taking too long a "moment" when I know I have what I need. It happens more when the actor is not as accomplished as I need (which is the burden a low budget/no budget film has to bear.) If you have a great actor, I like the comments Morgan Freeman had of "what do you want from your director...? (answer)..."Get out 'da way." With Morgan Freeman, I plan to "get out 'da way."

On my shoot this weekend, I had a number of shots where the camera was moving and dialog had to occur just as the camera was done with it's move. I had the DP giving me hand signals which I was relaying to the actors. I am not sure how else I would have done it. I don't really consider that "directing" tho -

Two slighly unrelated examples:

-Because he never (or rarely) recorded source sound in his movies, Fellini used to play records of classical music in the background while the actors were acting - kind if the same technique, but didn't, as clive was describing, break the actors' concentration

-When James Dean was working on East of Eden, the actor who played his father had some tension due to the fact that Dean swore frequently, which the other actor found offensive. During scenes when their characters were fighting, Dean used to mutter cusses under his breath to piss off the other actor to make the scene more realistic

Hope this is relevant...

Back