Time To Declare War on The "Shaky-Cam"

An article in Salon by critic Matt Zoller Seitz. It's a blistering attack on Blair-Witch-style camera movements as exemplified most recently by "Battle: Los Angeles."

All I can say is OUCH and amen.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/...ies/film_salon/2011/03/15/battle_la_shaky_cam

Excerpts:

How to describe the aggressive dreadfulness of "Battle: Los Angeles," maybe the worst-directed Hollywood movie I've ever seen? Incompetent doesn't do the trick, because it implies an inability to master basic craft. That's not the case here. "Battle: Los Angeles" takes one of the more controversial cinematography fads of recent years -- the "shaky camera and shallow focus equals 'reality'" fad -- to noxious new levels of excess. The movie is the work of professionals who decided to make their film look bad on purpose.

[...]

To call this approach amateurish would libel amateurs. A quick check of YouTube will reveal many taped records of spectacular and terrifying events where the camcorder or flip phone is rock-steady, there's depth of field, everything is in focus, and the shot holds for 10 seconds, a minute, two minutes or longer -- characteristics that actually intensify the level of fear, awe and helplessness, because they let you imagine yourself into another physical space and see where objects and people are in relation to each other.

[...]

Simply put, this crap is transparently cynical and opportunistic and has become totally played-out since 1999's "The Blair Witch Project," arguably the hit that made home video panic-cam an official, approved technique in mainstream productions. But 12 years later, directors who keep treating it as an aesthetic security blanket -- especially at the big-budget level -- should be required to get a tattoo across their foreheads that reads "Hack." Get yourself a tripod. Make a shot list. Think about where you're putting the camera and why you're putting it there, and try to redirect the audience's attention by moving the camera or refocusing rather than cutting every three to five seconds. Stop covering action. Start directing again.

etc.

I loved Pi. Seriously great movie; well written, well acted, engaging and clever. I never want to watch it again; the shakey cam overload during basic conversations nearly ruined the experience for me.

On the other side of the coin, I loved Diary of the Dead, start to finish. The handheld-ness of it effectively made the point (Romero does not equal subtle) and unnecesary jitter was kept to a minimum (making the characters film students rather than people with camcorders helped).

Oh, and adding the shakey cam to the CG shots in Firefly, definitely added to the experience, particularly at the time. So, yeah, there's a time and a place, and it can be used well, but I definitely agree that it's easy to overdo.

War on Shaky Cam continues:

A documentary featuring the classic and now, iconic "Shaky Cam" director Michael J. Elude whilst he worked on what would be his final feature film. The documentary includes actual interview footage of Elude himself along with interviews from his favourite actor Bruce Baldwin and various other members of his cast and crew during the making of the now earmarked cult classic, "Indistinct Hero". Elude directed 58 shaky cam films in total before his untimely death during January 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZ12w9SlWI

Last edited:
Back