Directors: What are your goals?

As a director what are your main goals? What are your main objectives?

For me (granted, I have zero experience), the most important thing is creating a good working environment. That means everyone on set is comfortable and having a good time, stress is kept to a minimum (as much as it can be), and both cast and crew trust me and my judgement (while at the same time feeling like they can make suggestions to me and that I'll seriously consider what they say).

I figure that if the working environment is good, people are going to put more effort into their work, and the end result will be a lot better. Of course, this starts in pre-production, making sure that the people you hire are going to be easy to work with. Talent is important, but I don't care how talented someone is, if they're impossible to work with, they're not worth it.

But, as I have zero experience, I'd like to know what the main goals and objectives of others are.

How Ridley Does It

Great Scott's go-to crew
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054982

"One of the advantages with Ridley is he's incredibly well-prepared and knows what he wants and is very good at communicating that to everybody, so you're very efficient as a unit with him," Huffam says. "Often (when you go on location) it's 'let's take everything because we're not sure what's going to happen.' With Ridley, if you say, 'This is a very difficult location and we need …,' and he'll just say, 'Right. Well, we don't need this or that, but I do need this.' "

As exacting as the filmmaker can be, Huffam says no one on his sets sports "I Survived Working for Ridley Scott" T-shirts.

"Yes, it's challenging and demanding, but it's a pleasant experience because everybody knows he appreciates what they do," Huffam says. "Even when there are newcomers, they very quickly become his crew."

Despite some hiccups -- including malfunctioning 3D camera rigs that caused delays early in the shoot -- Scott managed to finish "Prometheus" on time and on budget and lock the print well in advance of today's bow, a rarity for a vfx-heavy film these days.

"He is the most efficient director I've worked with, as well as incredibly creative, so it makes my job easy," Huffam says. "Or I should say easier."

Back