Naming a Film after a Scientific Theory

Hi!

I'm currently working on a script which is based upon a real scientific theory. After munch consideration I feel the name of this specific scientific theory would be a brilliant title for the film, the question is; do I have the right to use the name of this specific theory?

I'm not going to drop the name of it here, but goes something like "Einstein's Theory of Relativity", including the surname of the scientist who came up with it.

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Patrik

Honestly, if you put someone else's name on it, you may be asking for trouble.

Often with film titles, though, less is more. So using your example, if you're looking at naming your film "Einstein's Theory of Relativity", it would be more effective to simplify it to "Theory of Relativity".

That's a well-known scientific theory, and everyone knows it was Einstein who forumalted it, so it's not necessary to put his name on it. Plus, if it was titled with his name, I'd probably assume it was a documentary about his work.

Same with "Darwin's Theory of Evolution". "Theory of Evolution" is concise, and opens the theory up to both literal and metaphorical interpretation in the film.

Honestly, if you put someone else's name on it, you may be asking for trouble.

Often with film titles, though, less is more. So using your example, if you're looking at naming your film "Einstein's Theory of Relativity", it would be more effective to simplify it to "Theory of Relativity".

That's a well-known scientific theory, and everyone knows it was Einstein who forumalted it, so it's not necessary to put his name on it. Plus, if it was titled with his name, I'd probably assume it was a documentary about his work.

Same with "Darwin's Theory of Evolution". "Theory of Evolution" is concise, and opens the theory up to both literal and metaphorical interpretation in the film.

Tnx for your reply! I understand. The thing is, if I remove his name from the theory, no one will understand, it's like taking out Newton from "Newton's Law" or removing Drake from "Drake's Equation". I could of course come up with a completely different title, but since the premise of this film is to offer an alternative view on this theory, I'd say there is no better name for the film than the theory itself. The ambition with this film is to introduce the audience to a theory I believe could have a huge impact on their future lives, even though nobody's heard of it before.

But maybe you're right... it's like asking for it. Asking here is free though.

Welcome to indietalk.

The great thing about writing is it's so easy to make changes. Use
the title you feel would be a brilliant title. Finish the script. If
somewhere down the road a lawyer fells you could get into some
liability then with a few keyboard taps you can change it.

I don't understand why you won't mention your title here but your
two examples ("Newton's Law" "Drake's Equation") would both be
fine as titles. So write your script using the title you like.

Welcome to indietalk.

The great thing about writing is it's so easy to make changes. Use
the title you feel would be a brilliant title. Finish the script. If
somewhere down the road a lawyer fells you could get into some
liability then with a few keyboard taps you can change it.

I don't understand why you won't mention your title here but your
two examples ("Newton's Law" "Drake's Equation") would both be
fine as titles. So write your script using the title you like.

Thank you! :)

Well, last year a wrote a similar story on a similar subject and just when I was about to wrap it up, some guy shows the world his new script... almost identical, same topic... same idea. I don't know why, but I feel like it would be bad faith start talking about it before it's finished. I guess I'm a superstitious guy, may well be... however, this time I take precautionary measures, even though I know it's overkill! It's just the way I am... like a tic that I have.

Tnx for your input regarding the title, appreciate it!

Same with "Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection". "Theory of Natural Selection" is concise, and opens the theory up to both literal and metaphorical interpretation in the film.

Fixed it for 'ya. ;) Evolution had already been well-established by the time Darwin blew the lid off with his seminal examination on the subject. Basically, before Darwin, it was already known that species evolved over time, we just didn't know how. Darwin provided us with the how. Sorry, it's the anthropology nerd inside me; I can't help it.

That being said, I agree with all of your statements. In fact, with the specific example you've provided above, I'd be more inclined to go one step further and perhaps consider just calling the movie "Natural Selection" (if that were the theory relating to the movie's subject matter).

Back