Should I wear formal or casual clothes?

I have been asked to come in for a job trial session for the "Photo Editor" position. They are a sportswear company.

Silly question but what type of clothes should I wear for the trial, formal (suit and tie) or casual? I rarely go to job trials.

Thanks.

What you really should do is go to the company is a few days before your appointment at the opening or closing of the day and see how the employees are dressed. Are they wearing jeans and T-shirts? Wear nice pants and a collared shirt. Are they wearing nice pants and a collared shirt? Nice pants, collared shirt and a blazer.

Etc.

You want to dress one step above whatever is standard for the company. If it's a jeans and T-shirt type of place you don't want to show up in a suit and tie.

What Alcove says is great advice.
While some think you can't overdress, it is surely possible.
Actually I know of men in suits not getting the job or business, because they overdressed.
First impressions are indeed important: completely under or overdressing can make you look like an alien who doesn't know where he is applying ;)

Dress smart, don't dress formal.

It's not the 1960s: a suit doesn't have to have a tie or even a jacket. More important are a decent pair of shoes, a collared shirt and clean grooming!

Back