Can I charge these people more money?

I filmed an event for this company and edited the footage into short video. I already knew they were ripping me off from the start since I am a college student. The agreement was $50 upfront and then $75 for the edited video. So a total of $125. (Each guy in the event paid $200 to get in, but whatever). I didn't care as long as I got paid. Also they rushed me to edit the video within 2 weeks of the event. So I rushed and put my school work aside to edit this video. I got paid the $50 when I filmed it, I completed the edited video about 2 weeks and contacted them. I preferred to do the payment method online. They told me they will pay me after I send the video. I guess they thought I would be push overs because I am young, not the case. I told them I will send the video after I received the money. I mean it makes sense, its not my 100th anniversary, I have no reason to keep the video but they have every reason not to pay me. No response....It's been two months now and they finally contacted me about the video. I'm annoyed because I think it unprofessional but I also think the agreement we made online is null now. They said they within 2 weeks I had to complete the video and they will immediately pay me. That did not happen. Do I have the right to charge them a late fee? Im still new to the freelance world so I want to know if that is common. But I feel like I would be stupid giving the video for the original price when they didn't even follow the agreement we made initially.

What's in your agreement? I usually have agreements signed up front, and an invoice with estimate and request 50% up front (if I'm doing the whole thing - if I'm working as crew, the agreement is different)

Once you send the final payment invoice, specify your terms (usually nett 30). Somewhere between 40-70% of your clients just won't pay within the time, so I tend to send a reminder with a warning about late fees.
Usually once they get a late fee notice they'll pay immediately. That being said, it depends on the client - if you're in contact with them, or you have a good relationship with them, I don't think there's a need to be too terse (just confidently assertive). If they're a bad client, or they're non-responsive, then do what you need to.

I dont know that I'd add late fees without warning, but IMO you could send a payment request and warn that there will be let fees incurred if not paid within x days.

Do I have the right to charge them a late fee?
Yes. You have the right to charge them a late fee. They have the right
to refuse to pay it.

Im still new to the freelance world so I want to know if that is common.
Without a late payment fee agreed upon in writing it is not common for
clients to pay a late fee.

But I feel like I would be stupid giving the video for the original price when they didn't even follow the agreement we made initially.
I wouldn't hold the video for ransom. But if you feel it's important to
hold it until you get what you want then you should stick to your principles.
I suspect you'll never work for them again and that they'll never hire
you again so what happens if they don't pay a late fee? Do you never
deliver the video? Even if they pay the $75?

Sometimes it's just better to learn something and move on. If they pay
the late fee you feel is owed you, great. If they don't, but agree to pay
the $75, it might be better to take the money.

I'm sorry but this entire conversation seems rather petty to me. We're talking about $75 right?

Dude, just deliver the fucking video. You've already completed it, right? Why would you hold it hostage for a measly $75? Deliver the video and then ask for the payment. And no, you can't ask for a late-fee, because you still haven't delivered the product. To even entertain this idea is kinda ridiculous. In the filmmaking world, you do the work and then get paid, not the other way around.

Deliver the product. Your reputation is at stake.

I'm annoyed because I think it unprofessional but I also think the agreement we made online is null now.

What is your agreement? And therefore, who is being unprofessional? I agree with Jax's response, did your agreement stipulate payment before delivery? If so, then yes, they are being unprofessional by breaking that agreement. If the agreement stipulates payment after delivery, then you're the one breaking the agreement. If the agreement doesn't stipulate when the payment should occur, then unfortunately, the unprofessional behaviour here is yours, because you omitted this stipulation from the agreement! With no prior agreement in this regard, your client is perfectly entitled to demand delivery before payment, regardless of how unreasonable you consider it to be.

Personally, my terms are 50% on commencement of work and 50% after approval but before final delivery. Occasionally I have a client who can't or won't agree to this, in which case I have to judge whether or not to walk away from the gig. If I decide not to walk away, then I'll push for an agreement which protects me a little more from non-payment after delivery. Say 25% on commencement, 50% half way through and 25% after delivery (I've also agreed to 3 payments of a third). My contracts also often include penalty clauses; penalties I have to pay if I fail to meet my end of the agreement (say missing the deadline for example) and equally, a penalty the client has to pay for not making payment after the agreed period (in the case of payment after delivery).

In your current situation (presumably with no agreed stipulation of when payment should be made), I personally would send them the completed edit with an invoice requiring payment within 30 days of receipt and laying out a reasonable late payment charge should they not pay within 30 days. Sure, you're running the risk of not getting paid, especially now there's been a dispute and considering that the amount is small enough for them to maybe think it won't be worth you pursuing them if they don't pay. If this is the case, you'll probably need to take the philosophical view that you'll have learnt a very valuable lesson about being a freelancer (the importance of contracts and the stipulations within them) but paid only $75 for it, which to be honest is vastly less than the price I've paid for some of my lessons!

G

Back