• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Summer for Winter?

I am shooting a movie this june and am wondering how I can acheive the look of december? The story takes place in a smaller, mountain-type of town. I am mostly concerned with the lighting being too bright or too harsh, as when I think of winter in the mountains I see softer lighting, maybe overcast.. Any help or ideas are appreciated!

Big silks :)

121005-1421B-thumb-400x266-1004.jpg

overhead1.jpg

tumblr_mdi5eri3wP1qg4k1d.jpg

It really depends on the look you want. 'Winter' is really very broad.

I wanted to shoot natural lighting, cloud cover, almost like walking through the fog. Was aiming at shooting the Santa Cruz mountains actually, but most of the time it is bright with blue skies and harsh lighting, very opposite the look I'm going for.

Any chance part of those mountains get routine heavy fog layers?

MW-144-Coastal-Fog-Redwoods-Muir-Woods-National-Monument-Marin-County-California.jpg

Relying on weather is a PITA, but if you could find something more like that, then shooting for a de-saturated look, and shooting in the early AM when moisture is high and the sun is low, might actually get you what you need.

Hmm, Santa Cruz mtns. Sorry I thought we were talking San Bernadino Mtns like mentioned before. That pic (not mine) is from Marin County (Muir Woods). You might have to head north to get a good marine layer to hide under. Summer weather in Santa Cruz (iirc) isn't as variable as it is along the Marin/Sonoma/Mendocino coasts.

Last edited:
Back