SS DOV SIMENS 2 day film school

My friend took it, I've listened to his tapes

DOV rules in my book. His workshop gets you fired up to just go out there and make a movie.

My co-director/writer/friend and I were going to take his 2 day thing about 9 years ago. I ended up having to bail because of work but my friend went and loved it. He bought the tapes for me and I did listen to those. I thought it was a very practical, no-bull look at the world of indie filmmaking, and I still apply many of the strategies from his workshop to my day job and my filmmaking to this very day. I've been meaning to eventually go to one of his workshops myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I would love to take one of his scriptwriting workshops and I imagine the filmmaking workshop has probably been overhauled due to the digital revolution (though Dov was/is big on shooting film).

Last edited:
I went to his seminar and was very, very unimporessed. THe problem was I had alrady been making short films and doign research, so 95% of what he told us was unapplicable to me. He yells a lot. At one point he screamed "How are you going to make a film if you don't know where to get film stock???!!??". I was so fed up, I yelled, "I'd call my sales rep at Kodak, Kim 1-800-621-3456," and listed my accout # with Kodak. It did NOT endear my to Dov.

But, contrary to my opinion, most of the people I went with (most had never made a film yet) enjoyed it thoroughly and said they got a lot from it. Different strokes for different folks. So it's very preferential whether or not you will get soemthing from the "Two Day Film School". I did not, but people I know & respect did.

I agree with Boo, if you are already an accomplished filmmaker, you're not going to hear any startling revealations, but for a new filmmaker, I think Dov is great. My friend who went to the seminar also has a BA in RTVF, and attended a one semester program at NYU School of continuing Ed, and to this day still says he learned more from Dov in 2 days than he learned in 4 1/2 years of schooling. You can't learn much about the nuts and bolts in 2 days of lecture, but I think Dov opens a lot of people's eyes to the business end of filmmaking.

Hello, If you want to take some good classes go here: http://www.dvcreators.net. These guys are good. I took there classes in Toronto learned alot. I also bought the "DV Enlightenment DVD" http://www.dvcreators.net/products/dv_enlightenment.html. This thing is amazing! You will learn stuff even if your advanced. You can view some sample of the DVD on the page of the link above. They also have other DVDs that will teach you other aspects of production. Dig through the website quality stuff. :yes:

Toxzy

How long is that DVD? $99 is a big chunk of change. I've read a plethora of websites that deal with light. They don't get into the detail this DVD does I'm assuming but it is one of those, can I learn through experimenting or will that $99 immediately pay off. I've considered buying it because I enjoy the website. They have lots of resorces, free ones, that have been helpful.

The DVD is pretty long and has a ton of information. I also am the type that learns through experimentation but I feel that I've learned alot from this DVD very quickly. I don't know how educated you are with lighting so I don't want to tell you to go out and buy it, but I will vouch for it saying that it's the best light education I've gotten out of all the books and websites I tried. Did you watch the demo vids? They can give you a sense of what’s on the DVD. This DVD is high quality! :yes:

Toxzy

Last edited:
Back