screenplay release form

If you sign a release form like this:
You renounce any claim that XYZ productions has misappropriated any ideas or portions of your submission.
Does this mean you would have no recourse if say someone made a film that was almost scene for scene the same as your work?

XYZ is a made up name. What I'm asking is if that in signing this from whatever production company I would in fact be giving them right to use my entire screenplay almost verbatim, seeing as how a film is made of "portions" and ideas. Say that the film is made of seven scenes which could be considered "portions" and strung together in the same way that they were in my screenplay would renouncing the right to each of these protions equivaut renouncing the right to the screenplay itself?

Last edited:
Are you using a script coverage service? Or entering a competition? Any links?

Wherever you submit they want to cover their ass, lawsuits are a dime a dozen. But you also want to protect your work. You may want a lawyer to draw up the contract, the internet is not the best for such advice but more info would help.

No I'm just submitting my work to producers. I don't think that either coverage or contests would prove helpful for this particular project. Anyhow ain't got the money for it and I'm living on another continent.

Last edited:
It's up to you, if you agree to the language. They are most likely in CYA mode, not looking to steal, but you never know.

Back