Can we just stop and appreciate this?

So, last week I saw The Theory of Everything with my girlfriend. The movie was great, I loved it. She cried the whole time. It was adorable. But while watching it, I couldn't help but pick it apart and analyze every aspect of it like I do with every movie. One of the things that stuck out to me was the color of the movie. Every shot looked like someone painted it by hand. It was absolutely beautiful. It wasn't unnatural, either. Just, look.

the-theory-of-everything-movie-still-5.jpg

x900.jpg

stephenhawkingbio.jpg

It's something you'll have to see to fully appreciate. Stephen Hawking has a really awesome story. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you haven't already.

I thought it was unbearably saccharine and that the switching between different film stocks was rather distracting. It was like the director/DOP was desperate to turn every image into a 'magical moment', completely at the expense of any believability or humanity in the film.

Conversely, I saw A Most Violent Year the other day, which is shot by Bradford Young who did Ain't Them Bodies Saints and Selma and I thought that he had a beautiful painterly eye for composition. I felt the same way about Greig Fraser's work on Foxcatcher.

Back