A Cheap Digital Film Camera

Anyone interested/have the skills to collaborate in developing an inexpensive (relatively speaking) digital video camera that would shoot like a film camera without the film? Here's my idea, use a medium format digital film back in the 8-12mp range, like the ones made by Leaf etal and used on Mayima and Hasselblad, as an image sensor and create (essentially) a large, boxy EVIL camera with a sustainable burst rate of 24 images per second. The digital backs tend to get a bit warm and overworking one like that would create a bit of heat, but the general package is small so we could dedicate a large portion of the overall package to cooling. The workflow for the project would be linear, like real film, and you could edit each frame individually.

So who's with me?

Are you thinking on using a film camera with a digital back, or building a film camera around the digital back?

Two different things, with difficulties ranging from hard as fuck, to fucking impossible.

Also, there are NO digital backs. I think they start at 5K. Plus, you know, everything to build the camera.

To do this, you should have the an electronics degree, the knowledge of a filmmaker, and the precision of a watchmaker.

I was thinking of building a camera around the back. I've seen used backs as low as a few hundred dollars. As I see it, the major consideration is getting the sensor to handle the frame rate without melting.

Back