Script Feedback and the Forum

Hello good people.

This is just a general wonderment that I have, that I could perhaps attribute to my own lack of experience.

I see a lot of people posting requests to get feedback on their scripts here. What I wonder is how they're brave enough to not feel like they could be plagiarized? As a screenwriter, I'm so so weary and afraid that in times when it's tough to create something COMPLETELY original and different, something that I do accomplish could be stolen by someone before it even hits the sets.

I guess a lot of it is having faith in the ad-honorarium aspect of the forum, and trusting that this is a community of artists that are all here to help and support one another, but I was just wondering if anybody else thinks it would be a reasonable concern to worry about being plagiarized.

The only reason I ask is that I have a script for a feature that I'm trying to get feedback on from people other than my friends, most of whom aren't really 'film' people, and where a part of me wants to go ahead and ask the world and their brother for feedback, the other part of me just takes a million steps back in protectiveness. Thoughts? Am I being realistic or just overly cautious?

Cheers

The fear is not entirely unreasonable. It is unlikely that your
script will be stolen. I don't know of any examples of it happening.
Yes, I know of lawsuits filed by writers claiming a big hit film
was actually their idea but most get nowhere. And even in
those cases the writer usually claims the studio, the writer and
the director had access to their story through a pitch or a novel.
But someone on a message board offering to read a script to
give feedback and then stealing it, financing it, producing it
and distributing it? I don't know that that has ever happened.

Registering the copyright will give you legal standing if your
COMPLETELY original and different creation is stolen. But that
doesn't help much if your goal it to get the project made.

I suppose it could happen. It's good to be cautious. As far as
I know it has never happened.

Right. I guess there is perhaps such a thing as being too careful. I know it's unlikely, I suppose I'm just wildly paranoid. =) Thanks directorik. The mail-in copyright will be the thing.

I think I read on a different post that you're a screenwriter as well. Where do you turn to for feedback normally? Do you keep it within the family, so to speak, or do you try to get someone on board to formally collaborate with you as a script editor? I'm still new to the screenwriting side of things, and I'm trying to find my feet.

If you're paranoid by the masses, you could become premium. Then you could ask for feedback from just those that have supported the site (this number is of course smaller than the general users and guests that can see the forum)

There is always that, ofcourse. =) Thanks SkyCopeland. I'm just trying to gauge how other screenwriters do it normally. Is it common practice to seek support over the internet?

The mail-in copyright will be the thing.

Don't. Just don't. This method gives you about as much protection as putting the date on your piece of work and stashing it in your bottom draw.

I believe it costs $25 to register your copyright properly. When the price is so low, why use other methods that don't work?

i think you'd be more likely to have it stolen if you posted it publicly. people who aren't even members might come by one day, search for a script they can use and then take it.

once someone volunteers, send them a link via private message. less likely anyone will steal it that way.

There is always that, ofcourse. =) Thanks SkyCopeland. I'm just trying to gauge how other screenwriters do it normally. Is it common practice to seek support over the internet?

I'd say it's common? Honestly, I don't know where else the general public would seek for advise. There are script treatment businesses, but that's pretty costly.

I send my scripts to my peers getting degrees in Creative Writing for Entertainment... If not for them, I'd most likely be asking in IndieTalk's orange section.

Back