Favorite Long Shot Fight Scenes, and how to make em'

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so-- Hi! Second, I just finished binge watching Marvel's new Daredevil TV Show and... wow. I was also particularly gob-smacked by the one-shot fight scene that took place at the end of episode two. ( watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY ) It was amazing and reminded me of that one long-take in True Detective, as well as Oldboy. Anyways, it was also done without any wipes and used alot of sound based story-telling*(you know what I mean.) So, what are your favorite One-Take, long fight scenes and what are your tips on what make them better :D. Please let me know vvvvvv

Love the fight scene in Oldboy, and some classic martial arts films had some great ones, even more recent Donnie Yen ones. For gun fights, the standout was in Hard Boiled I believe where it was like 3 minutes nonstop of perfectly timed squibs.

I do a lot of fight scenes and have been for the past 5 years or so, but never really went on long or one takes because usually only one of the two actors have some if not extensive martial arts expertise. I think they key to making them work is blocking. You definitely would need at least a couple days dry running the entire thing so it flows properly. Elbow and knee pads highly recommended.

For the fight itself, I go back to my old pro wrestling days. The movements need to be more exaggerated than they already are. To keep interest, it still has to have some 'cool' factor about it, so take a bigger step on an arm drag or something to use up more of the frame.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Back