Looking to provide a website for an indie filmmaker.

Full disclosure from the start: I am not a filmmaker in any sense. I am a web designer.

I have spent the last month and a half putting together a Flash website for an independent filmmaker. She was very receptive during the development process, but then dropped off the face of the earth after she told me that "a check was in the mail." Unless she sent this check via drunk carrier pigeon, she probably never sent the check (It was over a month ago, and we live about eight hours from each other). Since then, I have been completely cut off; phone calls go directly to voicemail, and emails go unreturned. She's constantly updating her status & tweeting, so I know she's OK. Bottom line is, she's probably flaked.

Anyway, I have already completed the website. So I'm just sitting on a completed project that I can't publish. But I really don't want to throw it away, so I'm trying to sell it if anyone out there is interested.

The website is made with a combination of Adobe Flash and HTML, and it includes a complimentary mobile site to go along with it. I'm willing to change to pretty much any aspect of its design, but I'd prefer not to change the layout.

I'm almost always available for updates (except in rare cases, I do not charge for them), and I intend to work alongside you as long as necessary to make you happy with the end result. I've made a website for another indie filmmaker in the past which you can see here: www.boondockfilms.com

If any of you are interested in an incredibly inexpensive website, please let me know. My personal website is www.undinestudios.com

Thank you for your time,

Ben

Here is a sample of the site I made for her: EDIT - because we're back on, I wanted to take the sample down. See below VVV

August 16th, 2011:

Believe it or not, the previous client called me back this morning after a month-long block and told me that she found out she didn't have the money to pay me, and simply didn't know how to tell me.

It's hard to feel sympathy after being ignored for so long, but I'm also just relieved that she called!

We're back on for launch, as it turns out.

To anyone that I spoke to via PM, rest assured that whatever projects we talked about still stand at the discussed price. Only difference now is that it'll be developed from the ground up with you in mind.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Nice work.

I keep thinking I want a nice website for an older movie I made. I
did the site and it turns out I'm a better writer/director than a website
designer.

What do you charge?

Nice work.

I keep thinking I want a nice website for an older movie I made. I
did the site and it turns out I'm a better writer/director than a website
designer.

What do you charge?

Thanks!

I was looking to scoot the aforementioned website out the door for somewhere between $200-$250.

If you're looking for a website for a specific film, I have made a couple of them. Here are a few examples:

www.daddyslittlegirlshortfilm.com

www.commitmentshortfilm.com

I charged $300 each for those. I can be flexible though; I'm trying to build up a collection of film sites.

Would you mind linking to the films site you mentioned?

Just so people know I'm not ignoring ben, we have taken this to PM's.

His work is excellent and I'm seriously thinking of cheating (umm)
hiring him for for this generous price.

Heh, I PMed him too. He is in demand!

Why do people do that? It's happened to me too. If only there were some sort of way on the internet to secure the payment on one side until the product is finished on the other then exchange them.

The website looks great, I'd try and hire you like everyone else but I'm too stubborn in doing everything myself. Maybe one day I'll learn how to make a website with more than one page.

Why do people do that? It's happened to me too. If only there were some sort of way on the internet to secure the payment on one side until the product is finished on the other then exchange them.

The website looks great, I'd try and hire you like everyone else but I'm too stubborn in doing everything myself. Maybe one day I'll learn how to make a website with more than one page.

My fault - I was waaay too trusting. She really sold herself well, so I didn't feel it necessary to ask for a deposit. There's still such a big part of me that just wants to call her every day until she picks up just so I can ask her what the heck happened. During the short time her sample site was online, it made its way into search engines, and two actors from her most recent film found it. They called me and asked if I knew how to get a hold of her. Allegedly, they had not yet been paid, and she wouldn't accept their calls. I don't understand how people like this get work...

I understand your stubborness. :lol: I got into web design when I was a teenager - I was in a band and wanted to make a website for us. If you change your mind, you know how to reach me!

If I'd seen you a month or so ago there might well've been business to be done! ;)

Ah well, your work is good and I look forward to seeing you cook some stuff up for Rik, IT, PTP, Harpsichoid, Dready... :P

Believe it or not, the previous client called me back this morning after a month-long block and told me that she found out she didn't have the money to pay me, and simply didn't know how to tell me.

It's hard to feel sympathy after being ignored for so long, but I'm also just relieved that she called!

We're back on for launch, as it turns out.

To anyone that I spoke to via PM, rest assured that whatever projects we talked about still stand at the discussed price. Only difference now is that it'll be developed from the ground up with you in mind.

Thanks all.

I know how you feel. I've been burnt a few times being employed with money that people don't have..

I'ts very poor form. Keep reminding her what she owes or she will most likely and conveniently forget about it.

I know how you feel. I've been burnt a few times being employed with money that people don't have..

I'ts very poor form. Keep reminding her what she owes or she will most likely and conveniently forget about it.

Yeah, I have a feeling that I'll have to call her pretty frequently until she pays it off. She said she'd be making the first payment this Friday, but for all I know it may only be $20...

To offset this, I'm putting the site on layaway; it won't launch until it's paid off.

I commissioned this member, benUndine, to create a logo, and he lost the logo due to a PS crash, and was supposed to start from the previous saved version, but has not responded to emails over the past two months. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this person, as I have no logo as well as no communication. I hope he sees this and will rectify the issue.

I commissioned this member, benUndine, to create a logo, and he lost the logo due to a PS crash, and was supposed to start from the previous saved version, but has not responded to emails over the past two months. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this person, as I have no logo as well as no communication. I hope he sees this and will rectify the issue.

Yeah, I know that Paper Twin had the same problem.

I hope it's just a technical error because this is exactly the sort of unprofessional behaviour that he was accusing clients of...

Back