• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Robot and Ghost (Shot on RED)

Definitely weird and I'm not sure where you could go with it but....

It looks super fun, the quality looks professional (if cheesy due to subject matter lol). And the biggest compliment I could give you is: the trailer made me want to see the film. That doesn't happen often, so good job :D

And don't forget to post a link if it ever gets uploaded to the web in it's entirety.

Hmmm. I want to like it...I like someone that grabs a RED, and isn't afraid to take chances--and that's clearly what you've done. You've created something you believe in, and you are having fun with being imaginative.

I think there is a lot lacking, however, that will hurt the production. The production value is too amateur to be taken seriously...this has to do with the props, the lighting, the acting, and the editing...all of it falls short, and that makes me feel bad, because like I said, I can see potential and imagination behind the piece.

First thing...I'd re-cut the trailer...give it to someone that is a strong editor (more importantly, a strong trailer editor). Your film is shot on RED, it deserves all it can get. As of now, the trailer does nothing for your story, nor the surreal nature of the tale.

The rest I'm not sure about...it's already been shot, so I can't really tell you to improve anything.

Another thing I noticed is the special FX is pretty bad...you've got too much going for this thing to have amateur FX...get someone that will do it for free or cheap. Find a talented guy who would love to work on a project shot on RED...there are a bunch out there if you look. This project deserves a good FX/After Effects artist.

Also, the lighting needs work. Just because you're shooting on RED, doesn't mean it's going to automatically look awesome...what makes RED look extra-nice is when you know how to use it...and lighting, framing, and composition are all majorly important...much of your photography is pretty novice.

Listen, I'm just some dude giving you advice. Don't get discouraged...trust me, I can see where you have major potential, and I love your concept and fearlessness. Keep at it.

Where did you get the RED? Did you rent it? A friend own it? If you're not wasting a ton of cash on it, I'd say get back in the saddle and keep practicing...but I wouldn't spend a lot more time and money on a project unless it's going to be better than the one you just posted...and I mean that with all positive encouragement.

Good luck.

i think it just goes to show: even if you have a RED, you can still make a shitty movie.

keep that in mind, kids.

but m1chae1 is right, there is some potential. but i think it makes more sense to work on that before you spend money on a project like this one.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a just a small problem of mine, but does anyone actually use original music on their trailers? I watched a youtube video the other day that clearly used the theme from The Dark Knight. I'm not sure if festivals care about original music or not but the music from this trailer is from a Danny Boyle film with Chris Evans in it.
I'd also suggest that you re-cut the trailer. The image quality is good but I'm not really sure what the trailer is trying to say.
Thats my two cents.

Nice one.

RED is the only camcorder out there to be able to procude quality films. I guess we just need to wait until Canon and Panasonic get their head around to use DSLR camera video quality on their camcorders. Before that it's just playing around with crappy cameras/camcorders or renting a RED.

Why did you shoot on red? None of your other stuff on that site is even production material - this looks like your first shot at a movie and you used top of the line pro equipment - the issue is that you don't have the experience necessary to compete on a professional level, and yet you're intending to release your material on the same scale as a professional gauged audience – sooooo, you've set yourself up for some harsh critiques.

Nice one.

RED is the only camcorder out there to be able to procude quality films. I guess we just need to wait until Canon and Panasonic get their head around to use DSLR camera video quality on their camcorders. Before that it's just playing around with crappy cameras/camcorders or renting a RED.

lol. This post cracks me up. 1) I wouldn't call the RED a 'camcorder', and a 2) it's not the only HDcam out there able to produce quality films. What does that even mean? Quality films? Like...as in the quality of the image, or the overall movie as a whole?

There are a plethora of cameras that produce quality images...yes the RED is a top choice, but as long as you know what you're doing, you can make nearly anything look good.

The EX1 is a great camera...so is the HVX200...

We use a JVC camera on our films...not sure the model, but it's a pretty nice 720p dealeo that kicks out some crisp images...as long as you know how to light a scene and compose a shot, you're good to go.

I just thought that post was funny. :) Had to comment.

Nice one.

As mike said, this cracks me up as well.

I'd rather shoot Genesis then RED.

lol. This post cracks me up. 1) I wouldn't call the RED a 'camcorder', and a 2) it's not the only HDcam out there able to produce quality films. What does that even mean? Quality films? Like...as in the quality of the image, or the overall movie as a whole?

There are a plethora of cameras that produce quality images...yes the RED is a top choice, but as long as you know what you're doing, you can make nearly anything look good.

The EX1 is a great camera...so is the HVX200...

We use a JVC camera on our films...not sure the model, but it's a pretty nice 720p dealeo that kicks out some crisp images...as long as you know how to light a scene and compose a shot, you're good to go.

I just thought that post was funny. :) Had to comment.

Well micheal, this is how it goes; people have different perceptions on quality. Some demand the highest quality, others are satisfied with a lot less. Obviously you belong to the latter group. After visiting your sloppy website, I rest my case.

It is true that you can make short films for your own use by filming with camcorders that you mentioned. Wedding videos and videos for YouTube. However if you really want to achieve commercial success then you need to choose more wisely. It all depends what your goal is.

What ever you do, don't quit your day job just yet Micheal. :lol:

Well micheal, this is how it goes; people have different perceptions on quality. Some demand the highest quality, others are satisfied with a lot less. Obviously you belong to the latter group. After visiting your sloppy website, I rest my case.

It is true that you can make short films for your own use by filming with camcorders that you mentioned. Wedding videos and videos for YouTube. However if you really want to achieve commercial success then you need to choose more wisely. It all depends what your goal is.

Ohhh ohh! Do me!

Definitely the hight of unprofessionalism for Michael to suggest that the equipment that you have is less important than what you do with it. :rolleyes:

No innuendo intended :D

I'm sorry you feel this way. I'm guessing you are friends and/or colleagues with ProfessorG (the OP). You (he) needs to learn how to accept criticism, especially criticism that is honest yet positive. I was very cool with the OP, and gave kudos alongside my critique. You clearly are in the wrong business.

My sloppy website? My website is clean and to-the-point. Done on iWeb stricly for function, not fashion. It does its job...and I certainly wouldn't call it 'sloppy.' Obviously your esthetics in film translate to your overall esthetics.

Don't quit my day job? Ummm...have you seen me act buddy? Maybe if you checked out a few of the many feature film trailers or short films I've been involved with you'd know I'm doing quite well for myself. And I've received many glowing reviews...clearly you've done no research and *think* what you're saying is warranted.

I'm not sure what crawled up your ass and died...but I didn't deserve this, and you don't know a damn thing about me.

What do *you* do for a day job? If it's filmmaking, I'd love to see your work.

Last edited:
Definitely the hight of unprofessionalism for Michael to suggest that the equipment that you have is less important than what you do with it. :rolleyes:

No innuendo intended :D

Definitely the height of ignorance to think that equipment makes the film.

in case it wasn't clear, i was being muy sarcastic... if it was totally clear and this is a needless disclaimer, um, sorry.

either way i'm evidently sarcasm fail :eek:

Hruuuurrer3rrrrr...

Did you thought the RED will make your film look PROFESSIONAL?

The shot framing are random at best.

I don't feel you are in control of what's going on.

Do you have some knowledge in filmmaking? OR just money to put your hands on a RED?

Nice one.

i'm so glad m1chae1 responded to this. i was going to say pretty much the same thing so i'll just give him kudos on what he said!

in case it wasn't clear, i was being muy sarcastic... if it was totally clear and this is a needless disclaimer, um, sorry.

either way i'm evidently sarcasm fail :eek:

To be honest, I thought you were being serious. It's hard to tell tone in text sometimes...no worries.

Moderator comment:
Please make sure the critiques stay professional, not attacks. Retaliation is also not necessary as the rest of the community knows the defensiveness is both unnecessary and counter productive. We're all here to improve our product/craft/art. Honest critique is the only way to achieve this goal.

Back