Just for Kicks - Superhero Movies

Like it says on the can - just for kicks, if you could make a superhero movie that hasn't been done recently what would you make? And be detailed about it. At least say who you'd cast!

Let's assume you have all the bells and whistles. Billion dollar budget, whatever cast, so forth.

For a short while I subscribed to Wizard Magazine way back when. Is it still published?

Anyway, it was pretty fun what they did...casting comic book movies etc, that is.

I don't know. First of all, I'm not totally clear on what qualifies as a super hero, and what does not. I know I'm already on record as wanting to see Frank Miller's Ronin adapted to a (very cool) film. Does Ronin qualify as a super hero? Well, maybe not. But he is pretty super. He's like, a cyborg 'n' all. And also at least sort of telepathic and telekinetic? When he's injured his cyborgy parts heal and can reattatch and reconstitute etc. That's pretty super.

So, who would I cast to play Ronin? First of all, if I was making it, the lead would be freaking Japanese, for God's sake! I mean, he could be an American-, Britsh-, Australian-, or whatever Japanese dude. But none of this baloney casting actors who are not of the same race as the characters on one of my films. But for that I have no clue. I'd have to see a casting call, and choose appropriately.

Well, maybe Halle Berry might be an obvious choice to play Casey Mckenna. Again, beyond Halle Berry I have no clue. I'm sure there'd have to be a casting call, and we'd see who best fit the role.

Maybe Frances McDormand or Emma Thompson to play Virgo.

Mr. Taggert. Not sure. Perhaps Guy Pearce. Or alternatively, I might like him to play The Hippy. Then who would play Taggert? Maybe David Bowie. Other suggestions?

Agat. I'm not sure. Maybe John Hawkes, if he doesn't mind doing the motion capture CGI thing, and because I'm a fan and want to give him work, and am sure he'd do a stellar job giving life and character to Agat.

Who to play Billy Challas? Tough one. Maybe Jeremy Piven. Maybe Wade Williams.

Peter Mckenna? Tough one! Racking my brain. Maybe a bit of a departure with Stanely Tucci.

Then for this film to be great, you'd need a slew of other great character actors.

Gosh, what other super hero comics that I loved haven't already been made into a film?

Lucifer deserves an adaptation. But probably an HBO or a Showtime etc series.

I suppose I'm leaving super hero territory here, but I think I will continue.

Another mini-series I liked a lot was Ted McKeever's Faith. Not at all mainstream, though. Could be a cool film, if the money came. But we're not talking blockbuster here. Too dark. Too nonconformist.

But hey, they did X-Men, and they did it very well (well, not so much sequel 3). What I've been wanting, though, is a film or films with the Sentinels.

Rom!!!!!

Dawn: Lucifer's Halo is a comic book through and through. But there could be a cool adaptation in there. We're talking arthouse, though.

And I'm not very familiar with Dr. Strange. But I think there could be a great adaptation there. Casting would be really important. Maybe Michael Fassbender. Maybe Christoph Waltz.

But I'm out of touch with recent developments in comic books. I've gone into the comic book shop, and it's cool, but I just feel mostly underwhelmed by most of the comics I browse --they're not films! Most of them are not challenging or very interesting. So there ya go. But some are and have been inspiring.

Last edited:
oooo man what a thread.

DBZ all the way, yes they did do one back in09 but it had nothing to do with anything.

DBZ is one franchines that hasn't been milked.

and when I say DBZ i mean we jump into it right away and skip dragon ball, yes it is important but if youwant to know whats going on then check out the comic or show.

SO here we go DBZ, This would be a trilogy of epic proportions. each of them running as long as Batman.

DBZ-1- Would of corse focus on the sayins, and By that I mean the Sayins how they were when Freiza was ruling over them. EVen though we only see a glimps of this time line in the series, It still holds for one hell of a story. I mean it is a classic story formula, a ruler afraide of his people rising up against him and over throwing him because he sees that they are getting stronger. I mean the whole thing ends with a great cliff hanger.

Clif Hanger-
Goku being sent away to Earth,
Vegeta, as a boy, being taken away and forced to work amongst the 2 other living sayins (we are not including Turles so NO, drop it!) all the while, he is suspicious about story freeza told him about how the Sayins died
the whole talk of the SUper sayin Myth. al

DBZ-2 We pick up with Goku on Earth, in DBZ, NOt DB, ANd by this I mean how DBZ picks up in the cartoon. I mean yeah sure we get a intro about his life or something in the beginning to tie things up but other then that it is just straight Goku finding out he is a sayin and how everyone must train for an entire year, this would be great because not only does it give you suspsnce but it ties it up with of course vegeta ( Now ruthless proud warrior) being one of the sayins to come to try and destroy earth. this also ends with a great cliff hanger

Cliff hanger
-Vegeta doesn't die, it leaves you wondering, what the hell? where is he going?
-The Namek Dragon balls, and how Bulma,krillin and Gohan leave for Namek, what will be waiting? Will it work?

DBZ-3

Now a lot does happen with Krillin,Bulm and GOhan while on their travels to namek, putting all this in would make this a 6 hour movie, so i would put this still in with the opeing credits.

Anyways
Here we go the last stand of it all- DBZ 3-
This would tie up everything I mean how the hell not. This poor plenet was nothing more then a war zone in the cartoon saga, so much going on, you got vegeta looking for the dragon balls for his wishes, and Bulma and the gang doing the same and the worst of it all-Freza is also on the planet killing everyone looking for the dragon balls. The whole situation is just not going to end well.

Goku shows up late (as he always does) in the midst of the gynu force battle and kicks some ass, he is fully healed and well trained that Vegenta thinks he has become a super sayin ( another great tie in for the story line)

We would also see vegeta die,- by now we have grown with this character and have seen many sides of him, but the last side we see of him before he dies by the hands of freza is remorse and regret. We also get the know how on Freza admitting he killed all the Sayins

The clash betweenFreeza and Goku is a epic one, and epc in the sence of the actual meaning of the word Have you seen the show ever? I mean that shit is epic.

Not to mention the story coming to an end and how it all ties up.(to much to type on here)

The legand comes true and goku becomes a super sayin and kicks freeza's ass, but sadly gets lost int he explosion of planet namek-bulma and the others get out alive.

The series would end here and not go on to the androd or buu saga. The fact that it should of ended here as a cartoon would have been enough.

The greatest cliff hanger would be wondering if Goku ever made it out of namek alive or if he was destroyed in the explosion much like the legend of the other super was 100 years back.
-

What the fuck is Hollywood waiting for? ANd no, I would recommend this movie not be a CGI BARF A THON!.

great story, I don't know who would be in it but I sure as hell have had this out line in mind for years and really needed to vent.

I think Mysterion needs a live-action movie!

For the lead role, Mysterion/Kenny, I would have to cast Ryan Gosling.

Coon/Cartman - Michael Fassbender
Cthulu - Andy Serkis
Mint-Berry Crunch - Michael Cera
Professor Chaos/Butters - Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Toolshed/Stan - Channing Tatum
The Human Kite/Kyle - Seth Rogen

Not sure if this counts as traditional "superheroes" but this:

THE SANDMAN

Like Game of Thrones, this would have to be a series on HBO, as no feature film (not even a franchise) could encapsulate it all. And to capture the tone of the comics, it's got to be a slow burn -- and not the typical in-your-face maximum loud bombast constant explosion set pieces that seem to be the template for superhero movies these days. Of all the comics out there, I would love to see someone do this.

Here's just a taste of who I'd pick:

Showrunner: Guillermo del Toro

Dream - Christian Bale or Johnny Depp
Death - Jennifer Lawrence

I think del Toro has the visual sensibility for this (Pan's Labyrinth) to adapt it to the screen.

Not sure if this counts as traditional "superheroes" but this:

THE SANDMAN

Like Game of Thrones, this would have to be a series on HBO, as no feature film (not even a franchise) could encapsulate it all. And to capture the tone of the comics, it's got to be a slow burn -- and not the typical in-your-face maximum loud bombast constant explosion set pieces that seem to be the template for superhero movies these days. Of all the comics out there, I would love to see someone do this.

Here's just a taste of who I'd pick:

Showrunner: Guillermo del Toro

Dream - Christian Bale or Johnny Depp
Death - Jennifer Lawrence

I think del Toro has the visual sensibility for this (Pan's Labyrinth) to adapt it to the screen.

YOU SIR. Seriously - if Gaiman was on board, I'd be a gofer for that shooting. I'd kill to see Sandman. They could make it episodic a-la Hitckcock Presents or TZ, so no worries about continuity.

----

Forgot I started this, oddly. Oops. Anyway, here's mine. (And this will give you an idea of how weird my interests get)

Title: The Video Rangers - (Needless to say, based off the insanely old Captain Video series)
Genre: Scifi/Comedy

Setup: This works because you have the scifi angle of the series, but you also have the comedic value of unadulterated kitsch. Imagine if the 60s Star Trek series had been made into a movie. It's that, but with a bit higher production value. Not as much shinies as the newer stuff.

Plot: Feature Film - A newly discovered planet just outside the Sirius system (Screw astrophysics. Dammit Jim, I'm a writer not a scientist!) is being settled, when BAM - space pirates attack, led by One-Eyed Icarus. There's a pirate base on that planet, thus the attack.

In response, the Video Rangers are sent to the planet to combat the pirates. Led by Capt. Rex Video, they manage to defeat the pirates and destroy their base (EXPLOSIONS FTW).

See, I warned you. Kitschy as hell. Anyway -

Cast:

Rex Video - Ben Foster (Partially because he was my fave from 3:10 to Yuma. Also I really think untapped potential)

Icarus - (pitching two, each with reasons)
•*Al Pacino - I can totally see him as a smartass, one eyed space pirate.
•*Ving Rhames - Much the same reason.

Supporting cast:

•*The plucky sidekick: Rupert Grint - He's actually a good actor, and I'd love to see him branch into something non-Potter.

•*The love interest: Olivia Wilde (Tron, new one)

•*The inside man: Sly Stallone - High ranking officer who thinks he's sending The Rangers into a trap.

•*The navigator: George Takei - Both because I love this dude and because he'd be killer as a father figure.

• The minion: Dolph Lundgren. Because - 100% pure cheese.

Cut, print, and rake in the dough, ladies and gents. So maybe it wouldn't be terribly marketable, but I'd watch it. :P

Back