Tri-pod mounting question

Cameras typically have a 1/4 inch threaded hole to screw onto a 1/4 inch bolt like on the top of a tri-pod. My question is simply, is this mount the same size in countries that use the metric system? Or do camera companies have to make models according to what country it's sold in? Since almost the whole world uses metric and Cameras are designed and made (for the most part) in countries that use metric, I've always found it odd that the standard size is 1/4 inch instead of say 7mm or something.

1/4 x 20 and 3/16 x 20 are the only ones I've ever seen. Lots of folks on this board from PAL/metric countries - so maybe there are some out there.

I'd hazard to say that while cameras are designed and made in metric countries (Germany, Japan) they are designed for markets that are dominated by standard/imperial (US and UK).

gipsy

Id reccommend using a system that accepts a bogen or manfrotto plate mount on your steadycam apparatus. Id shy away from having a $2500 camera held on by just on a 1/4 x 20 screw. The mounting plate will rest firmly against the bottom of the cam and will be more robust of a mount.

Not quite an edit:

I meant 3/8" not 3/16".

IB: The plate, an excellent idea, still attaches to the camera via the same mount screw - but I get where you are going with the suggestion.

Last edited:
gipsy

Id reccommend using a system that accepts a bogen or manfrotto plate mount on your steadycam apparatus. Id shy away from having a $2500 camera held on by just on a 1/4 x 20 screw. The mounting plate will rest firmly against the bottom of the cam and will be more robust of a mount.

Thanks guys, i was just asking in general and I think you're correct that they probably market primarily in standard countries. I wasn't so concerned with changing my stabilizer I really was curious, and frankly you shouldn't put a 2500 dollar camera on a 29 dollar anything. Ours is more for consumer grade cameras from Best Buy not the really nice stuff you guys have. For a 2500 dollar camera I would use a vest, or a merlin or something top-end. I will look into the manfrotto plate for a different model stabilizer we're working on for heavier cameras so thanks for that suggestion that's great.

Back