What inspires you to do this?

Indie film making is a form of madness. I have suffered less painful experiences breaking my leg. And don't even get me started on musicians in music videos.

And then last night I watched Conan the Barbarian (2011), an absolutely disastrous movie which looked as if it had been directed by a 12 year old.

This is the type of movie which inspires me as I know I can do better. We don't have to put up with this kind of rubbish film-making and I want to succeed. I may not get an opportunity but it gives me the motivation to try in the vain hope of success.

So what do you watch that inspires you to greater efforts?

I am not inspired by the short comings or failures of others. What
inspires me to greater efforts is a sense of self - I want to be better
than I am.

112.jpg

So what do you watch that inspires you to greater efforts?
What I watch are "doable stories."

"I could do that" I think to myself.
Not that it's simple or easy, but it's within the realm of reasonable.

There are things I can't do, and I'm pretty sure the effort required to achieve them is not prudent for me.

'Winter's Bone' or 'Safety Not Guaranteed' - Doable.
'Captain America' or 'Gravity' - Not doable.

Only just starting out as a filmmaker but I know this:

- The only times I'm truly happy is when I'm working on a film or photograph, because I know I'm making something worth watching.
- I just want to tell stories as beautifully as possible, that's what I liked to do when I was five and that's what I still like to do right now.

I know that I want to tell stories, and that filmmaking is what suits me best. I see all of the great cinema coming out now and that has been, and it's truly amazing to think that with the technology that currently exists allows us to do things past generations couldn't. Why not use those tools and learned techniques to the greatest of our advantage if that's how we want to artistically express ourselves? It's just a magical art. And I love doing it.

Oh per-lease. There are plenty of ways to make more money.

If someone tries moderately hard, they will easily be a dollar millionaire at the age of 40 in plenty of other professions.

You can't spend money when you're working. Many other things keep us there.

These days a real budget is what inspires me. To audio post types like myself a real budget means quality production sound, and enough time and money to be creative and enhance the project through sound design rather than my usual role as turd polisher extraordinaire.

Oh per-lease. There are plenty of ways to make more money.

If someone tries moderately hard, they will easily be a dollar millionaire at the age of 40 in plenty of other professions.

You can't spend money when you're working. Many other things keep us there.

True. But for many of us this is the desired way to make money. For
someone like me it's really the only way I know. I dropped out of school,
I have no degree in anything, I have no other skills. So, yes, there are
plenty of ways to make money, but I can't come up with one that I like
better. Or one that will pay as well.

What has inspired me to greater efforts from the age of 13 was making
money doing what I love. Not just making money. You asked a question
yet you dismiss the answers. Are those of us who inspired to greater
efforts by money not what you want to hear? You're inspired by the failure
of others why can we be inspired by making money?

These days a real budget is what inspires me. To audio post types like myself a real budget means quality production sound, and enough time and money to be creative and enhance the project through sound design rather than my usual role as turd polisher extraordinaire.

This I understand. First time I had a budget, I didn't want to go low budget ever again. The music vid was good enough that every single person who commented on it on IT was extremely positive. Think that was a first!

my mental illness? lol

I like psycho stuff and killing people, and I like a lot of blood... yeah... here, I said it :cool:

making films is an escape from reality to fantasy where I can do what I want, it's my free world! :cool:

uh and boredom :rolleyes:

True. But for many of us this is the desired way to make money. For
someone like me it's really the only way I know. I dropped out of school,
I have no degree in anything, I have no other skills. So, yes, there are
plenty of ways to make money, but I can't come up with one that I like
better. Or one that will pay as well.

What has inspired me to greater efforts from the age of 13 was making
money doing what I love. Not just making money. You asked a question
yet you dismiss the answers. Are those of us who inspired to greater
efforts by money not what you want to hear? You're inspired by the failure
of others why can we be inspired by making money?

If money was the genuine inspiration then you'd be doing something else. Money is much easier and more plentiful in other areas.

And I'm inspired by the idea of doing something good, rather than the rubbish I saw the other night. That inspires me.

my mental illness? lol

I like psycho stuff and killing people, and I like a lot of blood... yeah... here, I said it :cool:

making films is an escape from reality to fantasy where I can do what I want, it's my free world! :cool:

uh and boredom :rolleyes:

Please keep doing it. You have a talent.

What inspires me to do this..?

Those moments of sheer brilliance (though rare) and those moments when I successfully fix the horrendous ones (of which there are plenty).

While I'm certianly inspired and driven to do better by things I like, I think my motivations are not so cut and dry. My love of film music I usually put down to Tangerine Dream's "Legend", Goblin's "Susperia" and Danny Elfman's "Edward Scissorhands" (all Elfman, really, as that I was an Oingo Boingo fan first, but that's the one that really got me into his film music).

I want to make music. The music I really want to make, I'm well aware that no one (or not many people at least) want to listen to. That's fine, and it's not going to stop me from making it. So I'm always going to work a day job of some sort. I had on-and-off done some film stuff for friends. Great if they wanted weird music, but I wasn't really good enough to do most film scores, and didn't know much about it. I was doing a project and I realized that not only had I improved, I could learn the specific skills I need. Maybe that could be my day job, and I'll do my weird music on the side. I already loved the artform and have spent the past few years teaching myself everything I can. Which in turn has made my other music better, some of it even interesting to people who aren't me! I'm a long, long way from film composer as day job, so still working full time, doing film jobs as I get them, and trying to squeeze in other music (currently entering a remix contest for nerdcore rapper mc chris, a personal favorite of mine. Work in progress if anyone wants to listen/give me feedback!)

So more than anything, I guess, what drives me is being able to do nothing but what I love to do. If I never make it (odds are I won't), I'll have lived my life trying and that's pretty awesome too.

If money was the genuine inspiration then you'd be doing something else.

Why? The whole point is to make a living at something you love to do. So, yes; money motivates me. Money is the recognition that I have the talent, creativity and knowledge as well as the people and business skills to actually earn a living in a very competitive industry.

Why? The whole point is to make a living at something you love to do. So, yes; money motivates me. Money is the recognition that I have the talent, creativity and knowledge as well as the people and business skills to actually earn a living in a very competitive industry.

This is exactly what I mean. You 'love' to do it and want to make money out of it whereas the people I know hate what they do but make a ton of money.

One guy I have known since childhood sold lightbulbs for a living. He sold rather a lot of lightbulbs, is very wealthy but grew to hate lightbulbs to the point he went through depression for several years, came out the other side and is now retiring at the age of 42. He never needs to work again and lives like a king because he did something he hated purely for money.

In fact, I am tempted to turn that into a short film.

Back