• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Dogme 95 - "Tracks"

I was assigned to make a Dogme 95 style movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noaKUvTHldM

For those of you that do not know what Dogme 95 is, here are the rules:

1. Shooting must be done on location.
2. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
3. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)
4. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.
5. The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
6. Optical work and filters are forbidden.
7. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
8. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now).
9. Genre movies are not acceptable.
10. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
11. The director must not be credited.

My teacher excluded rules 10 & 11 for us.

Was pretty fun to make. My friend and I came up with the shots as we went along.

Any feedback is appreciated, and I recommend trying to shoot this style.

Thanks for watching.

For the first point, then what's the difference between a filter and just, say, changing the white balance in the camera? Would a fisheye lens by fair game?

For the second, the examples of murder and weapons aren't necessarily external and obvious. I mean, a prop is a prop, whether it's a tire or a knife (obviously found on set since you can't bring it with you). What's an example of something internal?

No story due to the no genre rule.

Audio fades out because I could not add in any audio of my own. So it changes with each cut. (Rule 3)

I'm not sure you understand the rules fully, and also maybe I wasn't clear with my questions.

The "no genre" rule means no westerns, no horrors, no mysteries, no crime dramas, etc. but you still need to make a movie that tells a story. Things actually need to happen, otherwise you just did a bunch of scenes of a guy walking around. Read the synopsis of any Dogme 95 film and you will see what I mean.

Here's an example from The Celebration: "The film tells the story of a family gathering to celebrate their father's 60th birthday. At the dinner, the eldest son publicly accuses his father of sexually abusing both him and his twin sister (who had recently committed suicide)."

And with my audio comment, I was referring to the gap of silence that starts just before every single cut in your video. I didn't suggest you add any new audio, just shorten the audio fade in on each clip by about 90%

Anyway, sorry If I'm too harsh with my criticism, thanks for sharing your work.

Back