Brand New Canon 6D

I was at the camera store setting up my pre-order for next month when my buddy showed me the brand new Canon 6D camera. The 6D is a full frame camera that slots between the 5D and 7D in terms of features and price. After spending some quality time with it, my impression is that it is a 7D with a full frame sensor and a few extra bells and whistles (wi-fi, GPS, etc.). If you are considering the 7D, but really want a full frame sensor without the cost of the 5D, this may be the camera for you.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_6d

Really? To me it seems like a Canon Rebel with a full frame and wifi/gps. The 7D has a full viewfinder, higher fps, full metal body, and much better weather sealing so I wouldn't put it at the same level as that.

All you need to do is go to that link and one of its highlighted features is that it is full frame.

I think it looks good, but it appears to be only slightly cheaper than the 5D so if that was an area I was currently aiming for I would probably still go for the 5D

Last edited:
Well, the 6D does give you a longer record time, and is apparently slightly more advanced in most ways, except that it has slightly less viewfinder coverage, which, I don't know if we'd be able to tell that difference anyway.

It looks like the 6D is 2,099, now. The 5DII is 1,599 at B&H and 1,529 at Adorama at the moment. Still 1,799 at Best Buy.

If you get the 6D kit, it comes with the ultra sweet 24-105mm f1.4L IS lens for an extra $600.00. That lens by itself is a serious value at $1249.00. For $600.00, you can't beat it. That lens is the same for the 5D mk iii kit.

If you get the 6D kit, it comes with the ultra sweet 24-105mm f1.4L IS lens for an extra $600.00. That lens by itself is a serious value at $1249.00. For $600.00, you can't beat it. That lens is the same for the 5D mk iii kit.

For a second I was blown away that a lens like that could even exist, especially for that price, but alas, it is an F4, not 1.4. But still quite a good lens.

Yeah, like I posted in the other thread, my guy at the camera store told me about the lens and he apparently got confused by the markings on the lens "24-105 1:4L IS" He thought that the 1:4 meant 1.4. I truly wish that he had been right.

Back