Music Videos

Anyone got some tips on how they go about making music videos? Lighting, recording sound, camera angles, etc.

Do you create a script/storyboard before filming?

Just make sure you have speakers which are LOUD enough to sync your audio...

But judged on how you evaluate other peoples music videos and normal videos, you should actually now, shouldn't you?

Well, script/storyboard, totally up to you!

Lighting is totally up to you, whatever you need! Lighting scenes is important, but you can get away with some great natural light, like we did on our last shoot! (Soon to be released video),

Get a Rode Video mic or something to plug into your camera to make the sync a bit easier..

Camera angle.. Up to you.. Whatever the music video needs!

Yeah right now since I'm saving up for speakers, I have the artist use their phones and put them in their pocket.

thanks for your input 8] just trying to see how other people go about making music videos.

I'm no expert, but heres my $0.02

I have a small PA system I use for shooting music videos. If your shooting a band playing, you have to get the track louder than the drums for everyone to hear correctly. If the band really knows the song, you maybe able to get away with having them play it live and then syncing each cut manually in the edit..... (this method sucks). If theres no band you can use a portable CD player/boom box.

Scripts are generally a good idea. Its difficult to script out a music video in normal script fashion. There's usually a cut every second so its hard to convey that on paper. I try to generalize the shots and what I want to accomplish. Come up with a general idea, shoot that then shoot it again. When you think you have enough footage, shoot it some more. I usually shoot the entire song 15 to 20 times.

On the last video I shot, we only had one location so I shot upstairs and downstairs. I had a few ideas for shots (the light bulbs) and just experimented with angles and lights until I got something I liked for the rest. If you have interesting lighting and composition you can get away with a lot. We were shooting in an old building that was in the middle of being renovated to become a restaurant. You can see extension cords and building materials if you look close... even the windows were still taped up... but I thought it looked cool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesHcU6bWNA

Theres no magic formula.... Just go set up and move things around until you get something interesting in the viewfinder and hit record. Repeat.

What's your advice on transitions? Like in your video you used a lot of dissolve. In my past videos I've used mostly blur and straight cuts to another shot. Do you generally go by the vibe of the music or preference?

I echo the above in regards to having a LOUD playback/monitor. Especially for the drummer to keep sync, and for everyone else to hear over the drumming. (For shots where the entire band is involved. On single-member shots with the others, playback doesn't have to be as loud.)

Well before ever shooting the video, I listen to the song several times. Most often I'll play it back in my NLE and drop markers at key points while it's playing, trying to "see" the video along with the music. I then go back through and make notes at specific times, usually at the major changes in the song.

In terms of shots to get, plan on getting (at minimum) a wide shot of the band playing the song all the way through, and individual shots of each member playing all the way through.

For flexibility in editing, I typically like to get several shots (ie. wides and mediums) of the entire band, from top to bottom (some more stationary, some moving around), then multiple individual shots with different lenses (ie. 30mm, 85mm, etc.) of each individual member.

It's usually never a bad idea to pick up insert shots here and there (ie. close on the guitar player's hand, close on drums, etc, etc.). It may help to shoot these in sync with the chorus or an otherwise repetitive area so you have flexibility with dropping those shots in later.

If you can, grab some overcranked footage as well. And of course any b-roll type stuff that you think you might use later, like the band setting up gear, etc.

If you're not shooting "story" shots to go along with the video, then consider a change in scenery to take place at some point in the song (usually close to the end, but that's all dependent on the song).

Band performance tips:
Have the lead singer actually sing (not just lip-sync).
It also helps if the drummer plays more for visuals than just for sound alone. Not that the movements have to be WAAAAAY exaggerated, but it's typically better if he's more expressive than normal while drumming.

That's some of the stuff I do, anyway. Hope this helps!

Have you ever worked with a hip hop artist/rapper?

I have some band clients that I'll be working with in the future, but more recently I've been working with a hip hop artist.

Frank I like everything you said, especially getting individual shots of each member. More footage the better.

Frank is dead on with his post. I usually start by shooting two or three panning wide shots and use those as my ”base” in the editor. Shoot everything; the band setting up, hanging between shots talking, etc. Remember youre usually only looking for that one second of something interesting or descriptive.
If the artists misses a que or screws up the lyrics, dont stop just continue on and edit around it. Theyre usually a little camera shy at first but warm up after a few takes.

As far as transitions go, make them match the song...... its all part of the creative process.

I dont do rap/hip-hop stuff.

Yeah right now since I'm saving up for speakers, I have the artist use their phones and put them in their pocket.

Why are you doing that? Speakers - and amps, and a front end - are expensive. How the hell are they going to hear a cell phone in their pocket?

It's a BAND, they should have a PA system of their own; use that. If they don't own a PA system you'll have to rent or borrow one.

Why are you doing that? Speakers - and amps, and a front end - are expensive. How the hell are they going to hear a cell phone in their pocket?

It's a BAND, they should have a PA system of their own; use that. If they don't own a PA system you'll have to rent or borrow one.

Actually Alcove the peeps I've been working with lately have been rappers/hip hop artists 8] So the phones work fine for now. But I want to get speakers because I noticed in one of my videos that he had it in his hand. It was fine for being a practice shoot, but still, speakers would be the best best.

Back