• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A quick 30 second Teaser

Hi Guys,

We just put up a quick 30 second teaser. I think I will try to put something every 10-14 days just to try to build an audience. If you have 30 seconds to spare would love an opinion. Of course liking my Facebook page also helps. I have no idea how to link it but it's called Spoilers The Movie.

http://youtu.be/KkGbBJx24sU

Thank you...

haha
That's a good first shot in a teaser. my eyes definitely went wide open.

Footage looks good. Plenty of latitude for color correction. Audio here sounds fine to me, but I'm not the audio expert.

You can market this film. Start talking about it on forums that high school students visit, college freshmen visit. Don't talk about The Breakfast Club. High school students who are not film buffs won't have any idea what you're talking about, and it's going to be a waste of everyone's time. Tell them its an amalgamation of your own personal experiences in high school. To some extent it's true. Every character you wrote, is probably some combination of you and the people you've met. You imagined what would happen if these people were forcibly stuck in a room, how they would discover that they were after all, not that much different from each other... blah blah blah... or whatever your film is about.

Very nice Connor.

Well if the DOP is "thinking of the shots" then the director isn't really in control of the visuals of the film. A director should understand the vision of the project the best, and so should be directing the visual style of the film.

Ideally, its a collaborative process. A DoP is an expert, and understands the syntax of cinematography more than you (well they should) so their ideas are going to be useful, and some of their ideas could be better than your own) - but ultimately the final decision is with the director (well, the producer technically).

If you don't involve the DoP in the shot selection choice, that doesn't mean they're not being creative. There are limitless ways to frame a shot. Say you have a story about someones marriage falling apart, and you have a "wide shot" planned. 1 DoP frames the actor on the right of the frame, with their body only taking up the bottom half of the frame, so they look squashed and vulnerable. On the left side of the frame is a candle about to go out, as a tacky metaphor for the marriage.

A 2nd DP frames the actor in the from a high angle centre of the frame, in the middle third of the image, again emphasizing their smallness. No candle in this one (he gets a closeup of the precious metaphor later). The centre framing, and lack of props in the scene is disconcerting and makes the audience feel uneasy.

Both choices fit your "wide shot" idea, and work toward the same goal. But they're very different, and a lot of creativity went into that. Even if you've directed the shot exactly to one of those descriptions, exactly how the actor/candle is framed denotes meaning to an audience and is a creative process on itself.

So unless all they do is press record, the DP credit is probably deserved.

Back