> Indie Film Marketing & Promotion

The following has great interactive audience participation marketing implications for promoting your film:
http://community.fearnet.com/servic....kickAction?as=40602&w=135576&d=876941&ac=new

Take the same "voting" principle and apply it characters within your film, especially an ensemble cast with a zero sum fate.
Present your film's audience with basic+ information about each of the charatcers then prompt them to vote on which characters should live or die, pass or fail, receive promotions or demotions, etc.

Variants can be loactions to go to, routes to take, weapons to select, and so forth.

Whatever it is, just propose some way for the audience to THINK about your film after they've left the keyboard, (while providing an outlet to satisfy their innate need to be a contibutory member of a community!)

Engage your audience beyond showing them images.

Universal's 'Ted': Market to Young Males, Get Older Males - With Wives!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-et-0703-big-picture-20120703,0,7146724.story

"It's worth noting that they are not just a guy thing — the Judd Apatow-produced comedies that virtually define the man-child genre regularly attract audiences with more women than men. In the case of "Ted," 44% of attendees were women, even though the studio initially aimed its marketing at young men. The film even played to married couples: When the studio asked opening-weekend filmgoers whom they came to the movie with, nearly twice as many people said they came with a spouse than with a date.

20120213FilmDemographicQuadrants.png

If I were a sociologist, I'd probably point the finger for the popularity of arrested male adolescence at the usual villains: helicopter parenting, the rise of feminism, video games and a cruddy economy that has a larger percentage of 25-34 males living with their parents than ever before."

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/26/3676365/ted-marketing-campaign-balances.html

"Even without bringing in the pre-teen crowd, "Ted" is on track to pack theaters on its opening weekend. It's expected to open to about $40 million, a very strong start for a film that cost about $50 million to produce. And although interest is strongest with men under 25, MacFarlane's primary demographic, it's respectable among younger women and older men as well, indicating that Universal has successfully drawn people who don't tune in every Sunday to [director and co-writer Seth MacFarlanes's] "Family Guy."

"When you look at the most successful R-rated comedies, there is always an emotional core to them," said "Ted" producer Scott Stuber. "You want a date couple to both come out saying, 'I loved that movie.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/showbiz/movies/ted-magic-mike-box-office-ew/index.html

"During a phone call with EW this morning, Rocco praised "Ted's" advertising campaign kick-off in April, when MacFarlane appeared in a 90-second TV spot during an episode of "Family Guy" and pointed audiences to "Ted's" extra-buzzy red-band trailer online. Clearly, much of the loyal "Family Guy" audience turned out for the opening weekend.

Men made up most of the crowds. According to Universal, Ted's audience was 56% male, while 52% of moviegoers were 30 or older.

You know which movie's audience wasn't predominantly male? "Magic Mike's." The endlessly written about stripper film, which is partially inspired by Channing Tatum's real-life stripper past, grossed a tremendous $39.2 million in its opening weekend from audiences which were 73% female."

The point of this little snipe-hunt was to bring attention to studio marketing people either know they don't have to market to a natural audience or that they didn't know who their story's natural audience was.
IOW, marketing isn't always easy.

http://www.bitrebels.com/social/7-ways-to-grow-your-fan-base-on-facebook-infographic/

Love number one:
(It can/should be applied to your filmmaking's creative process from conception!)

20120709Facebook-HowToGrowYourFanBase.png

I like #6, as well.
FWIW, studies on gambling behavior indicate slightly variable "payouts" result in a more "intense" user experience. So, don't keep to a strict schedule. Vary it up a little by a day or two.

And "yes", I am already a freak about #7. :rolleyes::lol:

4Q Analysis of 2012 BlockBuster Toons to Date

Weekend Report: 'Ice Age'
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3488&p=.htm

"Aside from pointing out new cast members like Jennifer Lopez, Drake and Nicki Minaj, Continental Drift's marketing campaign never really tried all that hard to differentiate Continental Drift from its predecessors.... As of late, that's been a death knell for animated sequels, so the fact that Continental Drift was able to stay in the same general ballpark as previous installments speaks to the overwhelming likeability of the central characters, in particular Scrat (who once again was prominently featured in the marketing material).

Ice Age's audience skewed slightly female (51 percent), and was evenly split between those above and below 25 years-of-age. The crowd awarded the movie an "A-" CinemaScore ("A" for the under-18 crowd), and with no competition for family audiences on the immediate horizon Continental Drift could have a healthy run. "

Friday Report: 'Madagascar 3'
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3460&p=.htm

"Madagascar 3's audience on Friday was 56 percent female and 54 percent under the age of 25, and they awarded the movie a strong "A" CinemaScore. "

Pixar Does It Again! ‘Brave’ Opens Big #1
http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/brave-box-office-results-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-weekend/

"Looks like concerns that Bravewould only appeal to girls and their mothers were way overplayed. The toon hit all audiences, with 57% under age 25 and 43% over 25. Males were 43%, females 57%."

Box Office Blockbuster: $70.7M For Dr. Seuss ‘The Lorax’ Is Year’s Biggest
http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/dr-suess-the-lorax-68m-years-biggest/

"Exit polls showed that 68% of the audience was 12 years and under with their parents. Of those moviegoers age 25 and older, 74% were parents of a child under 13 years of age. Among children 12 and under, the audience was 57% female vs 43% male. Among those 13 years and older, the audience was 63% female vs. 37% male."

IA:CD - M/F 51/49 <25/>25 50/50
Mad 3 - M/F 56/44 <25/>25 54/46
Brave - M/F 43/57 <25/>25 57/43
Lorax exit poll info seems to be heavily skewed toward the young viewer side rendering almost moot stats for traditional 4Q analysis. But it was quite popular - and profitable!

Interesting Study: CROWDFUNDING WITH FILM THREAT

CoolClips_wb025141.gif
Anyone wanna see how I make sausage?

1. Understand that community integration is key to successful crowdsourcing.

2. Search for communities with optimal shared interests in your film's premise:

3. Identify the largest communities to begin conducting research on their interests:

4. Stumble upon material relevant to a concurrent endeavor of your own:

Having a PR background has definitely helped Ava DuVernay; she understands marketing, press, etc.
For those that may not know, she self-released her last film ("I Will Follow") via a deal with AMC Independent into (AMC) theaters, through her company mentioned in the story above, African American Film Festival Releasing Movement. She had an excellent per-screen average on that film, and is doing even better on her current film.

Cultivating A Fan Base Provides Your Film With Potential Long Legs

You've made your film. (Believe it or not, that's the easy part.)
You peddle it on the festival circuit.
You sell DVDs and/or digital downloads off of your own website.
Eventually you break down at the end of it's rope and whore it out on Netflix et al.

So... now what?

You gotta actively work at fanning the fan-embers into fan-flames and keep that flame not roaring but at least burning so that maybe fans will make requests that your indie film be sublicensed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63670
BUG: ... I’m really curious how this works, how you guys find the movies you re-release and that whole process. I think a lot of people are curious about that aspect of these re-releases and how you choose them, what do you use in them and everything...

JN [marketing director]:... When we get a list of titles or we have access to titles that we can get films from, we will scour them like “I like that one” or “fans have been requesting this one.” We take that into account and go from there. As far as roles are concerned, Cliff is a big driver. He’s the person who actually acquires the titles. He goes in to our heads at Shout Factory and there is a process, a projection process like sales process…it’s kind of boring, but you get the gist of what we think has potential and then we talk about the titles, fan bases, what hasn’t been released, what hasn’t been exploited, you know...

CM [acquisitions and production]: Our acquisitions come to us in many different ways. There are independent producers of movies that approach us and the other is we have…Shout Factory has deals with all of the major studios for TV product,...

JN: Yeah, and then we had a title from Fox, TERROR TRAIN, that was at the end of a deal at Fox and we wanted to do something with it and we were like “Well, let’s put that in so it beefs up that.” I think Scream got off to a very successful launch because we announced these nine or so titles right off the bat, like we came in thunderous. People were like “Oh my god, what do you mean? Not only do you have two HALLOWEENS and a John Carpenter movie with THEY LIVE, but you’re putting out DEADLY BLESSING, which has never been put out before from Wes Craven, and a couple of other stuff...” I think that got peoples’ attention very quickly. For me on the marketing end, I managed the Facebook page and the now Twitter page, but it was always my intention, and it has become it, to foster a horror convention mentality on Facebook, so fans who love going to horror conventions, that’s their thing but can’t go to them all of the time, well, on Scream Factory, at least on our Facebook page, we hope we get the kind of community in the sense of we’re talking about our titles, but we are also talking about horror titles, not just ours. We are talking with the fans and doing fun polls, because then it helps our titles, because you’ve got fans to a degree running the show putting them on a platform and seeing what they are. Not all the titles are everyone’s favorites, but boy every time we announce something people are like “I thought I was the only one who liked that one” and people are like “No, I do too.” It’s a fun process.
Okay. So, did you catch that?
This outfit signs sublicence distro deals with the major studios.
Judging from their library it's mainly old stuff that really isn't moving anyway but still has fans.
But Shout Factory [SF] also deals with independent studios.
The point to understand is that before they invest in distributing or redistributing a film it MUST have a fan base, AKA an active consumer market.
Customers will goto SF's website looking for titles A B or C, and run across titles D E F G and H and think "Oh! Yeah! I wanna see that again! Let me buy that."

And the [infernal] social media page has got to be "big enough" to discuss more than just the narrow selection of what they do carry.
Likewise, for our indie films we should also be "big enough" to discuss similar films, inspirational films, even competitor films.
The point is to engage the fan base.

But then again... you gotta produce and direct a film worth making fans fanatical in the first place!

Wanna know why there's sometimes several different cover arts for the same film?
BUG:...How do you balance speaking to the fans and giving them what they want, but also trying to give something to those people who have never heard about that film before?

JN: ... You have to make sure that your original fan base is satisfied first, and that’s where I think we go out of our way. If you are doing a collector’s edition of THE FOG, what can you do to make sure that a FOG fan who has seen this movie for thirty years is going to appreciate it? As far as new people to the table, we think that the positive response to these titles brings in those younger people that see the veterans of horror films buzzing around and they are like “what is this film?” We use newly designed art work on our collector’s edition, which sometimes has a comic book approach or a fun kind of fresh remixed feel to a classic.

BUG: I was going to ask you guys about the covers. Where do you guys find the artists, and where do you come up with the imagery?

CM: I’m a big fan of the Mondo posters that they do. I think that stuff is just great, and that was really where the inspiration came from. A lot of people were like “They just did what Arrow does over in the UK.” Well actually, that wasn’t even who I was thinking of at the time, it was Mondo, and I just started looking for artists that I really liked and thought were really talented and that’s how we got the slate of people that we use now.

JN: And we are bringing on some more, too. We’ve had artists contact us. We get a majority of positive on this stuff. We do have, I would say, five percent of people, hopefully less, that are just more vocal that no matter what new artwork we do, they’re just like “just stick with the original” and, you know, we give them that option.

CM: Studios don’t.

JN: Studios totally don’t, but we know that as fans ourselves, yes a new design attracts, it refreshes, it remixes the title so to speak, but on a reverse rack there’s an original poster with what you saw either on the video shelves or what you saw in the theater back in 1982 or whatever. That’s important to a collector.

BUG: And sometimes those old video releases had multiple covers as well. I’m thinking of THE BURNING, and I can think of almost three of them that they had, the shadow, the painted cover, a romance novel looking cover as well...

JN: Yeah, I mean, we try to keep as purists to that. Believe me, when we are getting the design and we are looking at it there are taglines and things where I’m like “Okay, you’ve got to keep it like this or fans are going to knock it.” We are very sensitive and the fans are very passionate and sensitive on it. I mean, these are movies that they love.

CM: I think some of the fans also scour the artwork when we put it up to find stuff. It was Q, somebody noticed that we had spelled something wrong on the current cover.

JN: But it was on the original poster that way, too. That’s the whole thing. There will be grammatical errors that a copywriter will try to change and it’s like “No, that’s how it was on the other poster. I know that’s not how it’s supposed to be, but let’s try to keep it here and see what happens.” I mean, we try our best to try and accommodate and make sure that at the end of the day when somebody is plunking down their twenty dollars or so for one of our BluRays that they are coming home and they are looking at it and they are enjoying it and displaying it.​
Interesting.
At least to me it is.
Just more affirmation of both how uninformed most people are and how fanatical fans are.
They even want the imperfections reproduced. And they wanna show off their faux antiques. Crazy, but true.

The interview further goes on to discuss how invaluable ADDITIONAL material and interviews are to marketers further and further down the road when they're marketing to the true hard core collectors that MUST have THE authoritative COMPLETE set of everything about your film.

So, with this in mind, make your film (as I said, the easy part), collect more material about the film's production than the film itself even contains (probably by a factor of four to ten times), winnow out the most immediately marketable extra's for your own film DVD+extras for your crowdfunding campaign's "next level" up from just the base DVD only, and hold that pile of bounty for a rainy day.

After ten years of building and maintaining your film's fan base some distributor may email you asking if you have any MORE material your fans haven't seen yet.

And it just so happens that there is.

But you only mete out another 30min worth of material. :lol:

Sh!t. It's a good enough plan for Apple iPhones and their incremental improvements.
Gopherit! If they can do it... !

Last edited:
Flying In The Face Of General Convention, But I've (Somewhere) Argued This Principle

Illegal Downloads Made 'Man from Earth' a Hit; Now What to Do For an Encore?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/illegal-downloads-made-man-earth-627396
"Instead, Man from Earth became a BitTorrent blockbuster. According to Wilkinson, someone got their hands on a screener of the film days before the DVD release and with a press of a button, the film was being downloaded on file sharing sites across the Internet.

“To be clear, they weren't paying for it,” Schenkman explains in the Kickstarter video. “But they were downloading it, watching it, sharing it with their friends, and posting online about it. Even on IMDb.” In one week, Man from Earth jumped 7,700% on the IMDb's moviemeter, a statistic that tracks activity on a film's page, becoming the most searched sci-fi movie on the site. Both filmmakers cite the illegal traction as having a positive impact on legal sales of the film.

With a crowdsourcing campaign, Schenkman and Wilkinson hope to tap into that same fervor. “The simple truth is that if only a tiny fraction of the people who illegally downloaded Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth donated $5 to this campaign, we'd be funded several times over!” they state on the site."

The film itself 'The Man From Earth' → http://vimeo.com/62926833

The KS campaign → http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1759006687/the-man-from-earth-ii-man-from-earth-millennium

Someone remind me to follow up on how this campaign goes. Please.

Somewhere somewhen I had suggested a way to actually exploit illegal film piracy is to plan your projects three deep so that you can use the rat-bastard illegal downloaders to actually promote your subsequent film(s) by including elements of them in the first, then just keep leap-frogging the principle.
  1. Watch the first (illegally downloaded) film and learn about the second film.
  2. Watch the second film and learn about the third.

If your first movie is any good more legitimate interest will be generated in the second = $$
It'll be the cheapest advertising you could (n)ever afford.
Consider your first film a good freebie.
I'm surprised at how "inexpensive" movies are still worthy of piracy.

“The simple truth is that if only a tiny fraction of the people who illegally downloaded Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth donated $5 to this campaign, we'd be funded several times over!”

The people who downloaded it for free the first time are not going to suddenly decide to pay for a KS 'cos they appreciated the first film so much.

I'm surprised at how "inexpensive" movies are still worthy of piracy.

It's because the pirates who vocally rationalise it being about the "high cost of Hollywood movies" also won't pay a fraction of that for inexpensive movies, either. It's all about being able to get away with it. Nothing more. I just wish they'd be honest.

earlier Shout Factory post said:
The point to understand is that before they invest in distributing or redistributing a film it MUST have a fan base, AKA an active consumer market.
Customers will goto SF's website looking for titles A B or C, and run across titles D E F G and H and think "Oh! Yeah! I wanna see that again! Let me buy that."

They are also generating a lot of wtf 'cos you can't go and get titles A, B & C just like that. They often have holes or gaps in series that they somehow end up not licensing, so it's all very piecemeal. (I was going to use the Bluray versions of Phantasm series as an example, but I just saw Part II finally became available just yesterday after all these years. Heh. :blush: )

But yeah - at least it's something. :)

Either This Guy Is A %#@&-ing Genius... Or I Am!

http://www.filmindependent.org/blogs/find-answers-with-distribution-expert-peter-broderick/
"When should I start building an audience for my film?

You should start thinking about audience as soon as you come up with a concept for your new project. It’s very important to have a sense of the initial audiences for your film. I don’t recommend thinking of audience in traditional demographic or psychographic terms. Instead think about how people are organized online. A huge diversity of groups of people are on Facebook and Twitter, are frequenting key websites, and are on mailing lists. You need to figure out the target audiences for your film and start reaching out to them as early as possible. I highly recommend building a mailing list around your film that will include the names, addresses and zip codes of people interested in your project. Ultimately, your goal should be to build a personal audience for your work that you can take with you from film to film."​

More good resources: http://www.filmindependent.org/category/resources/find-answers-resources/

LOL! I haven't looked at this thread in over a year. Pfft! Ha!

Anyways...

Ran across a relevant news article on marketing and promotion, albeit from the a large distributor POV.
Might be some good context utility in here for some.

With ‘Hunger Games’ Campaigns, Lionsgate Punches Above Its Weight
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/b...sgate-punches-above-its-hollywood-weight.html

Perhaps more impressively, given the constant discussion in Hollywood about reducing promotional costs, Lionsgate spent roughly $50 million to market “Mockingjay” in the United States and Canada [against $125 million estimated production budget]. Hollywood’s six major studios, each of which operates a domestic marketing department at least three times the size of Lionsgate’s, routinely spend $100 million to release a major movie in North America...

Lionsgate keeps costs down by taking full advantage of low-cost media like YouTube, by making certain advertising decisions without relying on expensive market research studies and even by shooting its own pictures to save on photography...

A built-in fan base for “Mockingjay” certainly helped fuel its weekend ticket sales. More than 80 million copies of Suzanne Collins’s “Hunger Games” trilogy have been sold worldwide. But industry observers also point out that keeping moviegoers interested in a “Hunger Games” movie every year is difficult; typically studios wait a year or two between installments, in part to maximize demand.

Lionsgate relied heavily on YouTube, in particular creating a boundary-pushing initiative called “District Voices.”

Mr. Palen and his team — working with Google — essentially created their own “Hunger Games” television network, CapitolTV. Released through YouTube and the other websites, CapitolTV was presented as an official news source from the movie’s fictional government. To provide programming, Lionsgate recruited a group of YouTube stars including Justine Ezarik, better known as iJustine, and Rob Czar and Corinne Leigh, the pair behind ThreadBanger, a do-it-yourself fashion channel.

But Lionsgate went a step further, helping produce the scripted “District Voices” videos, which featured the YouTube personalities in “Hunger Games” costumes with props from the movie, blurring the line between reality and fiction.

Summary:
  1. Maximize your social media.
  2. In house skills decrease expenses.
  3. Cultivate your audience BEFORE presenting your finished film.
  4. *Consider the timing of releases.
  5. Actively engage your target audience BEFORE your film is finished in post.

* I have previously harangued the point of planning your film projects three films deep so that when your first feature length film is torrent pirated in weeks that it promotes your subsequent film(s).

Also, there's some additional info in here worth reviewing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games:_Mockingjay_%E2%80%93_Part_1#Marketing

Good stuff:
http://filmmakermagazine.com/62150-...stribution-if-youre-not-louis-c-k/#.VJnXPqADA

"What you do have to do is put the work in, engaging audience early and building toward your ultimate release.

the Indie Game: The Movie fan base started at absolute zero at the beginning of 2010. It grew to a modest (but cherished) 297 through our first Kickstarter, and then over the course of production, into 30,000-plus prior to launch.

We built this foundation of support by engaging our audience, being very open and thinking like a fan. We put out tons of video extras (88 minutes worth) and blogged consistently throughout the process (184 posts). We responded to every e-mail, Tweet, Facebook post — everything... spending five minutes responding to an e-mail about what type of camera we were using or replying to countless Tweets about the film. Little by little, it added up, building an audience one person at a time.

Interestingly, the film sold just as well on www.indiegamethemovie.com as it did on iTunes, matching sales nearly 1 to 1. Then, a few months after launch, we started seeing the sales on our website grow. People were finding out about the film through news stories, blog posts, Tweets and Facebook. With our website being the No. 1 Google result for “Indie Game: The Movie,” we saw more and more people finding the film and coming directly to us to get it.

Also surprisingly, we saw a spike in website sales with its streaming release on Netflix. We found that Netflix didn’t cannibalize sales — it boosted them. The more the people became aware of the film, the more people were seeking it out."

Looks like work, don't it?! :yes:

Just snooping around the internet, as always, looking for something new on marketing - not really. More of the same.

Thought I'd forward some of what I dredged up.

General as it gets: http://www.filmindependent.org/blog...essfully-market-your-indie-film/#.VKb3RFeeYcs

Fairly good for an overview, hardly detailed: http://www.vervemgmt.com/category/independent-film-marketing/

Laughable stuff: http://www.filmmakingstuff.com/sell-your-movie/
(Checked the IMDB creds of many of the testimonial providers: Ha!)

Publicist perspective: http://www.shericandler.com/tag/film-marketing/ <--- The most useful find, by far!

Also ran across this which isn't M&P, but interesting:
http://nofilmschool.com/2014/01/selling-at-sundance-factors-that-affect-the-indie-film-market
Great infographic, displays much of the same info I've previously aggregated.
If you're a filmaker/producer you want the inverted cones.
If you're a distributor you want the tall cones.
Looks like the filmmaker/producers bear the overwhelming majority of financial risk - in lieu of reaping great artistic rewards, of course. ;):lol:

Publicist perspective: http://www.shericandler.com/tag/film-marketing/ <--- The most useful find, by far!

Specifically this:

"Let’s dispel the myth that distribution is 1) assumed to be handled by some other entity that will put in their money to do it; 2) assumed to be an endeavor performed with no money by the production on its own; or 3) assumed that “collaborators” will be found who will offer their services, connections and expertise for no money upfront in exchange for back end revenue."

Back