Audio Setup for Interview - How would you use my gear?

Hello all. I'm trying to finalise the best audio setup for interviews and talking head stuff based on the equipment I've gathered over time.

Audio equipment I own:

Rode Ntg2 shotgun mic
Rode video micro
Rode link wireless lav
Roland R26 6 channel sound recorder
Tascam DR05

The cameras:

A - Ursa Mini 4.6k
B - GH5

I prefer not to use lavs where possible. I've initially gone with the ntg2 boomed over the talent feeding directly into the Ursa which is more than acceptable for interweb stuff. However I'm weary that it's important to capture another audio source in case anything goes wrong with the main recording.

How would you use the gear above?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

NTG-2 boomed overhead, plus RØDELink on the talent. Always good to have a backup. The boomed shotgun may sound more natural, but if the subject moves off-axis and starts to sound distant, the lav stays put in relation to the voice.

Whether you record these to separate inputs on the Ursa Mini, or you record them to separate inputs on the R26, really depends on your workflow and your preference. The Roland’s pre-amps are okay, probably on par with the Ursa or negligibly better. So it really boild down to whether or not you want to do audio sync in post.

Use the VideoMicro on top of the GH5 for reference.

I don’t see headphones on your gear list. I do hope you have a good pair like the Sony MDR-7506, and that you use them to monitor sound while you’re recording.

NTG-2 boomed overhead, plus RØDELink on the talent. Always good to have a backup. The boomed shotgun may sound more natural, but if the subject moves off-axis and starts to sound distant, the lav stays put in relation to the voice.

Whether you record these to separate inputs on the Ursa Mini, or you record them to separate inputs on the R26, really depends on your workflow and your preference. The Roland’s pre-amps are okay, probably on par with the Ursa or negligibly better. So it really boild down to whether or not you want to do audio sync in post.

Use the VideoMicro on top of the GH5 for reference.

I don’t see headphones on your gear list. I do hope you have a good pair like the Sony MDR-7506, and that you use them to monitor sound while you’re recording.

Thanks for this. I would much prefer to capture the sound straight into the Ursa and remove the need to synch. I prefer to avoid lavs as it's a bit of a pain getting them on talent without them being noticeable and when I have tried to hide them I always ended up getting the rub of clothing sounds coming through.

Will be interesting to hear how well the roland compares to the Ursa so will deff try that.

I also have an extension wire for the rode micro and could possibly boom that over head also and feed into the GH5, as a backup instead of the lavs?

I also have an extension wire for the rode micro and could possibly boom that over head also and feed into the GH5, as a backup instead of the lavs?

I wouldn’t.

The VideoMicro isn’t the strongest mic in terms of output, and the extension is unbalanced. The longer the extenstion, the more noise and potention RF you’ll introduce. Just use it to get a better scratch track on the GH5 than with the camera’s built-in mic. Sync the cameras in post and use primary audio from the Ursa.

Placing a lav can be a pain in the ass, but with practice and a much better lav (upgrade to something like the Countryman B6) it becomes almost rote.

I wouldn’t.

The VideoMicro isn’t the strongest mic in terms of output, and the extension is unbalanced. The longer the extenstion, the more noise and potention RF you’ll introduce. Just use it to get a better scratch track on the GH5 than with the camera’s built-in mic. Sync the cameras in post and use primary audio from the Ursa.

Placing a lav can be a pain in the ass, but with practice and a much better lav (upgrade to something like the Countryman B6) it becomes almost rote.
Ok great thanks for the info. This was my first post on the forum so I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I prefer not to use lavs where possible. I've initially gone with the ntg2 boomed over the talent feeding directly into the Ursa which is more than acceptable for interweb stuff. However I'm weary that it's important to capture another audio source in case anything goes wrong with the main recording.

With time and practice you get betting at laving, or just hire a professional!

As sometimes the lav will sound better in some environments/shots. But a well placed boom will ideally sound better.

So use a C stand to get it as close as possible, and minimize headroom.

Back