Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
danjfiore
Basic Member

HD Camera, Mic, Etc. "Starter Kit"

Hey everyone.

So, I've made a few films in the past (mostly student films) using a simply Sony home video cam and am now ready to start making some more professional-grade shorts and eventually a feature.

I've saved up a decent amount of money to help fund these projects and the first step I'd like to take financially is to invest in new equipment. I'm looking to get a pretty basic HD Camera (nothing too fancy, maybe around $2k), some audio equipment (hopefully a boom mic that would connect directly to the camera if at all possible) and some miscellaneous stuff like lights, tripods, etc. I'm pretty good at using what I have to get what I want, so I'm not looking for anything absolutely amazing to start out with.

Does anyone have any suggestions for starter equipment? I already have decent post equipment, so I'm not worried much about that. Ideally, I'd like to be able to operate as my own little production company so that I only have to outsource for a few things through out the process.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
danjfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Visual Typist
Basic - Premiere Expired

I believe there are a few threads that answer your very question. Just use the search button on the top menu bar.

Other then that you have a few questions to answer:

* What did you want to film? Shorts, Features?
* Do you really need to buy a camera? Can you get away with renting one?
* Are you also planning to shoot things like wedding videos or just narratives of your own?
* Do you need to shoot at night?

If you're starting "professional grade" shorts then you would be spending time organizing and planning out the shoot. In my opinion renting a camera is better suited for shorts and features. That way you're not spending $2000 on a camera that will be superseded by something else next year.
Visual Typist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

From a purely investment perspective purchasing audio gear - with the possible exception of the digital recorder - is a much sounder investment. Quality audio gear holds its value (the key word here is QUALITY). I have 20 year old mics that I could sell for about 60% of what I paid for them (not that I would want to). How many 2 year old cameras could get 60% of their value?

If you are still hell bent on purchasing, spend at least a grand on the audio gear.

"Sound if half of the experience"
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
danjfiore
Basic Member

After I posted this I looked around a lot more and kind of picked up the answers scattered through out the threads.
I'm basically looking to initially do commercials and music videos until I save up a little bit of money to do some shorts.
Right now, I'm basically dead set on just renting an Panasonic HVX-200 instead of buying something.
I'm going to be shooting a commercial within the next two months and my biggest fear isn't the lighting, shooting, editing, etc. It's the audio. I have just about no idea what I'm doing and I can't afford to hire someone. What I've always kind of assumed (and I'm really hoping someone like Alcove can help me here) is that all I'll really need is a Boom mic and a recorder (I have a Marantz PMD 660 & 670 available) + whatever cords I might need. But, I feel like I'm being completely naive here and I'm missing out on a lot more. For some reason, I always skipped the audio classes apparently in film school cause they taught me nothing.
Please help me out and let me know how completely oblivious I am. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
danjfiore
Basic Member

Just to give you an idea, I have access to a Sennheiser ME-66 and ME-80. So would the Senn and the Recorder basically be all I need to worry about? And can I dump the audio once I'm done straight into FCP from the Recorder?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Will Vincent
Basic - Premiere Expired

You ought to be able to run the mic right into the camera.. pretty sure the HVX has xlr inputs
Will Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
danjfiore
Basic Member

Ok, great. I actually just found some pretty decent youtube videos that gave me a better perspective. Now I just have to work on my audio editing and figure out how to light this thing...
Thanks guys for all the help and comments.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Scoopicman
Premiere Member

If you didn't see it, check out my post about using the Sennheiser ME66 with the HVX200, in THIS Thread.
Scoopicman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
danjfiore
Basic Member

Awesome and very interesting post. Thanks for the heads up!