Gotta love open source!

Wow. I ran across the single coolest thing I have seen in a long time today. It's a complete open source video production suite. It's still in development and has a ways to go but the stuff they have planned is amazing. When finished this will kick a lot of high end NLE's ***! Perhaps most amazingly is the softwares capability with uncompressed footage and the ability to edit in just about any bit depth!

I sumarize from their website:

The Desktop
The Desktop is the main, unifying module and also acts as a asset management system

These are the Main Processing modules, and are used for all content creation

The Effects Module
The Effects module does all image processing, as well as real time color correction

The Animation Module
The Animation module is a high powered 3d compositor and animator

The Editing Module

The Editing module is a full fledged editing application

The Paint Module
The Paint module is a 2d/3d paint environment with support for full 3d brushes

The Text Module
The Text module is a full blown Character Generator

These are the Auxillary modules that can be accesed from within other modules

The Player Module

The Player lets you view or scrub clips, and its caching technology will let you playback uncompressed video in real time!

The Compositor Module

The Compositor allows for quick 2-layer comps

The Network Module

The Network module allows for public and private file sharing

Website can be found here:

http://www.jahshaka.org/modules.php?name=Features

Here's an article about the software:

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/...deo_editing.htm

This is interesting, I haven't managed to compeltely absorb all the info.

I'd really like to talk to someone who has downloaded it and used it for production. I'm slightly nervous about putting a piece of alpha stage software on the machine that I use for my business.

I'm definitely nervous about using it as well Clive. I'm really waiting for a stable release such as the estimated 3.0 version. Once it has gotten to a stable and fully functional version I may very well adopt it (or at least add it to my arsenal). Their website isn't incredibly specific so I'm sort of in the dark as well.

I'm going to look around and see if I can find comments from actual users. I'll post when I know more.

Still, the heart of the matter is it's open source and people are bucking the sytem, pulling together and trying to make something wonderful. Thanks for the linkage Shaw, definatly one to keep an eye on. ;)

Even though I spend a lot of time on the internet, and conduct most of my business on my computer or on the internet...I have no idea what a lot of the site says...

...What I think it means is, this is like Linux or Firefox...it's free and it is made not-for-profit, by and for the public...and the rest is way above my head.

...The site should definitely use more lamens terms...binary? Source Codes? Where can I download the damn program?!

...I know where to do it, but I had to search. I assume "binary" means it downloads in binary code? Why not just say "programs" or "Download Jahshaka here" ...and what is an open source code?

The site is sloppy and not very easy to navigate...but the program looks BADASS!!! I just wanted to critique the site a little so it can be more readable to the average joe.

Hopefully my Public Music Project will be able to be a helpful tool like Jahshaka.

Last edited:
WOW!
I went to the site and within the first couple of minutes I can tell that this is one awesome program. The fact that it's open source makes it even enticing. I can't believe that I haven't heard of this project before... WOW.

Logan, you are entering a whole new world here. Programmers don't think like regular humans. They think in binary and code. I'm surprised that you've never encountered a binary file. Have you ever downloaded a .bin file? That's BinAry. Well anyway.. This site is WAY better than any of the other ones I've seen.

Check out SourceForge.net it's the heaven of open source projects... Here's one of my friends pages: http://sourceforge.net/projects/he-project/

Open source and programming is VERY geek friendly... I've messed around with programming and that but these guys are DEEP INTO CODE... they dream about that shizzle!

But their site and their project for this video suite is awesome and when I have time, will definitely research it and probably download the alpha or beta version, which ever they are on

Thanks for sharing!!! WooWoo

But their site and their project for this video suite is awesome and when I have time, will definitely research it and probably download the alpha or beta version, which ever they are on

Keep us posted on that as I'd like some feedback from someone I know before looking at it on my machine.

I downloaded and tried the latest version. It's certainly an interesting package! It's really fast. In fact it seems to be faster than combustion on my system, though I do not know whether this is due to a lack of meaningful complexity.

The software has some fuctions that work decently. Most notably in the animation realm. The editing is not yet functional. I haven't had a chance to play around with the paint of effects modules yet. I'll let you know when I do.

So it seems that the software has some real potential. I like the interface. It's quite intuitive and well labeled though there are a few things which could be cleaned up a bit. Overall, sounds and looks great for a future release. It's just not quite there yet for any real work.

CootDog said:
I'm surprised that you've never encountered a binary file. Have you ever downloaded a .bin file? That's BinAry. Well anyway.. This site is WAY better than any of the other ones I've seen.

That was hypothetical...sort of. I use binary to upload files onto my site, so of course I know what that is, BUT I didn't really know EXACTLY what an open source CODE was...and I just wanted to illustrate that, while people are more internet savvy these days, that site still used too much computer jargon in my opinion.

The project still sounds enticing, nonetheless.

BUT I didn't really know EXACTLY what an open source CODE was...and I just wanted to illustrate that, while people are more internet savvy these days, that site still used too much computer jargon in my opinion.

The project still sounds enticing, nonetheless.

I had the same problem, I'm pretty computer literate when it comes to media production, but I'm a nugget when it comes to programming.

I had to call up my IT mates and get the geek talk translated.

I think I'm going to e-mail these guys and start a dialogue. It maybe that they would be interested in getting some feedbacl from potential user groups and where better than indie talk for them to find us.

That's a good idea Clive... maybe if we have some IndieTalk users/testers we could talk amungst ourselves and help them improve on this project. If I knew programming, I'd DL the source code, and look at it from the inside.

Logan, open source is where an application is made and the actual code that made the app is offered to the public. Same as Linux. The people contribute to make the app better. Everyone working for the greater good. everyone working to make it the best it could be...

Ever hear of Mambo? It's an open source website design and publisher. I'm about to launch version 2.0 of my site, but since we're on the open source tract here, I'll let you check out what I have done so far:
http://cootdogproductions.com/mambo1

check it out and let me know what you think.

The reason why I like this video app being open source is because it will continue to get better and better and it's FREE!

Ai the best thing about open source, IMO, is that you can have such direct influence on the feature set. Need something specific? Make a request and before you know it, the idea has been implemented!

The only problem with these projects is that they always start out with such big plans and then more often than not fizzle and die before they even get half way there..

I've been waiting for a usable version of 'FREEDOWS' (which was supposed to be able to run Windows and Mac software natively at the same time, as well as other platforms depending on which modules you select to use) since 1998, but it's never going to come out.

On the other hand... it does look like a cool project, and hopefully it'll be finished sometime, in a usable way, and that they don't change their minds by then and decide to not be open source anymore.

The only problem with these projects is that they always start out with such big plans and then more often than not fizzle and die before they even get half way there..

I've been waiting for a usable version of 'FREEDOWS' (which was supposed to be able to run Windows and Mac software natively at the same time, as well as other platforms depending on which modules you select to use) since 1998, but it's never going to come out.

On the other hand... it does look like a cool project, and hopefully it'll be finished sometime, in a usable way, and that they don't change their minds by then and decide to not be open source anymore.

Well it's not done yet.. I'm bringing in industry news feeds and incorporating my old site and links and that...

The thing that's cool about mambo is that you can edit the pages on the front end, so updates are as easy as just going to the site and hitting edit.. I also like how you can view each article in PDF, Print it, and I can even Syndicate my site and make it available to others via like RSS feeds and that... Very cool

Does anybody know if this is the same program that was shown on G4's Attack Of The Show the other day? I didn't get to see it but my friend told me it was definatley something to look into further.

Back