The $20,000 online HD editing suite?

NAB, LAS VEGAS (April 18, 2004) -- Panasonic and Apple today announced the world’s first implementation of IEEE 1394 FireWire with 100 Mbps DV-HD (the native video compression of Panasonic DVCPRO HD recording systems) to bring unmatched capabilities and dramatically lower price points to high definition (HD) post-production and content distribution.

Together, Panasonic and Apple are bringing HD over FireWire capabilities to desktop and mobile editing with Panasonic’s new AJ-HD1200A, the first HD production VTR to offer a FireWire interface, and Apple’s newly-announced Final Cut Pro HD professional video editing software, enabling mass adoption of HD resolution images on the desktop, and even on PowerBooks.

Hi Guys,

I've just come away from a meeting with an AVID representative with some odd news, AVID Adrenaline won't support Panasonic's 720i HD, until at least next year and even though the machine will cost £35,000 it won't take uncompressed HD and will be the HD equivalent of AVID MC. Basically this means that AVID Nitrous is the only AVID online option for Panasonic HD users.

At the same time, Apple and Panasonic are claiming that they can get the cost of a HD editing suite with one hundred hours of full res HD, down to $20,000. (See above article)

Has anyone here onlined Panasonic HD on the Apple system and then had it transfered onto 35mm for theatrical release. If so, I'd be interested in your experiences.

It seems to me that the real issue isn't whether you can offline on Final Cut HD, it's whether you can online without any loss of resolution. As the only machines that can currently do this all cost £90,000 plus, Apple's claim, if true, is a radical step forward and a major piece of news for indies.

Yeah I remember checking all that stuff out at the NAB this year. Pretty cool. DVCPRO HD is a pretty interesting thing. I mean, you can get 1080i60 over firewire, which is insane, but I saw it in action. They had to crank down the datarate to 100 Mbps, and 50 Mbps, and at least when they had it set up at NAB, they were editing and using Final Cut Pro as if they were editing DV. . . but with a much higher resolution of course. Looks great. I would LOVE to be editing DVCPRO HD if I had access to it. . . hmm, anyone use DVCPRO HD yet? I'd love to even help in that area, anyway, that would be a different thread. . .

Yeah check this out too.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/codecs.html

I do like the fact that HD can play all 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, and 30 fps. . . as opposed to PAL and NTSC with their wonderful limitations.

Back