Greetings:

My Name is RJ O'Guillory. I am a retired DoD Executive, who published a childhood memoir before I retired in 2009. In that same year, I was diagnosed as having been genetically epileptic since birth...(obviously!)... and in 2010 I survived a 70mph drive off a 200 foot cliff, while in a post-seizure fugue-state. I am told by WGA Screenwriters that my memoir has 4-6 hours of..."film-ready-material"...and that it will make an excellent generational film related to the baby-boomer population, and their children / grandchildren. The problem is that I suffer from memory damage and the occasionally damaged cognitive skills due to my seizures...(much like Ground Hog Day)...so I know I'm no longer capable of converting my story to a screenplay. However, I'm told the book reads like a screenplay...and the book is currently being pitched to film production companies. So...what should I do? I'm disabled as a writer, so I can't find representation....as there may never be future production from my damaged brain....but at the same time I'm told my memoir...(while some hate it, or my political views)...I'm told my memoir will makes a blockbuster , generationally influential film? Any suggestions?
Thanks...RJ O'Guillory

...is it inappropriate to describe your work here? I understand the prohibition against promotion, but if I'm trying to enlist the cooperation of a professional...isn't it necessary to describe your work?

The book is currently being pitched to film production companies. So...what should I do? I'm disabled as a writer

The answer seems obvious.. get someone else to convert it to a screen play.
J.R.R. Tolkein never wrote a screen play for LOTR.. he wrote the book and other people turned in into a script and film.

Maybe one of those WGA writers that liked the book so much will volunteer.

Yes, thank you...my question does seem obvious on it's face, as I have already conceded to myself that someone else should write the screenplay...(with input from me). A better question may have been...do I attempt to solicit, interview and partner with an independent screenwriter, or keep trying to get direct access to a studio, who will hire their own writing talent anyway? Each of those strategies require some knowledge of process, and I suppose my question is based around which strategy would be most effective? I will describe a bit of my content in the following post, and see what people think is the best direction. Thanks for the input.

A better question may have been...do I attempt to solicit, interview and partner with an independent screenwriter

Perhaps. It'll probably depend on the size of your bank account, depending on terms.

or keep trying to get direct access to a studio, who will hire their own writing talent anyway?

I don't want to discourage you, but ideas are a dime a dozen. The ability to write a blockbuster screenplay isn't. It's exceptionally rare that the value of ideas is worth much, particularly when we're talking history.

I will describe a bit of my content in the following post, and see what people think is the best direction.

You could possibly find someone to shadow write for you. It's also likely that you'll end up paying them more than you'd ever hope to recover if you do find a studio willing to purchase the script.

I get about a dozen people every year with a similar predicament. "I have a story I need to tell. Here's what I have, help me". I really wish you luck on your endeavor. What you need to do is determine how much is telling your story really worth to you.

Perhaps your best bet would to go back to those who told you it would be a blockbuster. If they're that sold on it, surely they will help/back/join/guide you.

My true-life, childhood memoir is based upon growing up in a small St Louis suburb, which was chosen by CBS News in 1968...to be the topic of a nationally broadcast documentary about living in..."six square mile of the American Dream". CBS followed-up with a broadcast in 1978...describing the city as..."The Perfect American Suburb". The City was a beautiful mix of wealth, middle-class and poor people...in which I grew up with a Father who was a six-foot-nine-inch, 350lb, alcoholic, racist, corrupt St. Louis City Policeman. But not to worry, as my Mother was a corrupt Court Clerk, who got caught embezzling thousands of dollars from the ticket fund, and my brother was a corrupt cop who would smoke marijuana in the patrol car...from a suction cup bowl of weed attached to the dashboard. This is in addition to years of idiotic, sociopathic parenting and baby-boomer abuse. The memoir was so full of idiotic, vulgar and hilarious abuses, that the book's editor cut 100 pages of grisly details, as she thought it detracted from the humorous view of such generational dysfunction. After years of living and working for US DoD all over the world, I discovered a secret that had been hidden from the family for decades...and explained some of the emotional and tangible reprisals our parents took against the children. The film will infuriate people, cause many people to look upon their own upbringing more intensely... and the manner in which they are raising their own children. The film will do so through the hilarious, vulgar telling of incomprehensible stories of baby-booming abuse....in The Perfect American Suburb. And the film will make billions of dollars, if produced and marketed in the proper, artistic fashion.

How many pages is the memoir?
Also do you have any idea of how many people have read it?

A pre-established audience is often very encouraging to a film studio.
Titanic barely grossed "billions" so your hopes seem unrealistic.

Worldwide, $2,186,772,302. But domestically only 658,672,302 and if your film is about american life and society it won't have a global appeal.

Last edited:
The Perfect American Suburb. And the film will make billions of dollars, if produced and marketed in the proper, artistic fashion.

While it was a while ago, if you make it engaging enough, with enough appeal, these kinds of stories can bring tens of millions to the box office. Take Goodfellas for example. It took $46mil. An excellent movie which captured a large audience for its genre.

I'm going to suggest when pitching the billion dollar idea, have a list of examples of movies in the same genre/style that have done those numbers. It'll make your pitch go down easier.

Anyway, good luck in your venture. If it'll be as successful as you say, you'll find people will jump on board in no time.

Last edited:
...I appreciate the skeptical view of my dream. And of course when I speak of "billions of dollars" I mean so over the life of the film, soundtrack and derivative content that flows from the original. My memoir has probably only been read by about 1000 people, as immediately after I published, I drove off the cliff and began five years of hundreds of seizures...thus my marketing was very poor. My book is very offensive to some people who live in and around St. Louis, and originally generated some bad reviews. But I've met with dozens of people who have been moved by my story, and all encourage conversion to film format. As I said earlier...many people do not care for the blunt language and intimate details of such abuse. I find that most people find inspiration in the 250 pages...and can relate personally to the conduct of our Baby-Boomer Parents, the school districts of the time and the racial segregation / perspective of the era. I intend for hundreds of millions of people to witness what it was really like to have been raised in the "perfect America". Additionally, one of my major responsibilities with US DoD was to teach people how to market, present and deliver their product in a successful manner. I understand markets, emotional-connections and some of what our society desires in it's entertainment. If done properly...my film will be historic. Thus my need for pointers, advice and direction. Thanks.

RJ, you've been given pointers already. I'm guessing they're not what you're after. Perhaps asking some questions might yield different results.

And the film will make billions of dollars, if produced and marketed in the proper, artistic fashion.

There are only 6 to 8 companies in the world that can produce even close to a billion dollars (even if over 100 years).

I loved your story, but smiled/chuckled a bit when I read that line. You know the 6 companies who can do this, approach them!

The 'easiest' way to do this would be to go to TIFF next month. But just because it's the 'easiest way, doesn't mean it's easy.

But my suggestion to you is to contact the ABC and tell them you want to do a follow up the 68 and 78 documentary.

Good Luck!

...writersandfilmmakers....good idea on the CBS angle...thanks...I had not thought that they may be interested in some kind of business relationship based upon the original documentaries... BTW...what is TIPP? And Sweetie, what I'm interested in...is having a discussion on strategies, tactics and processes that will help me to achieve my goal. I have not named my memoir, promoted it, or scratched the surface of..."the content". I have only described it to the degree that I can contextualize my needs. I'm used to people diminishing my vision or goals. I understand. But in life, without ever knowing I'd been experiencing..."unobserved seizures"...and without any formal education...I was able to shape a career that involved living in Japan, climbing Mt. Fuji, living and working all over Europe, Asia and The US, including a personal tour of Air Force One. And I did that by teaching people how to open and manage extremely high-volume Burger King, Taco Bell McDonald's and about 18 other type restaurants on military installations. I retired at the pay grade of a Colonel. So...my point is...I know about challenges, I understand skepticism. But when you've survived being tossed a couple hundred feet across the cliff...you come to learn that almost anything you work hard at...and smart at...you can succeed at. So, no...I'm just looking for advice. Sorry to have insinuated otherwise....or broken some rule. Be Safe, Find Joy, Trust.

almost anything you work hard at...and smart at...you can succeed at.

Sounds like you have things in hand.

When you end up coming up with questions, please ask.

what is TIPP?

It's TIFF. Toronto International Film Festival. It's on right now for the next 5/6 days. Jump on a plane and go go go. You won't get a better chance so close to home for a while.

...well, again..thanks for the information on TIPP...and I appreciate the other suggestion on returning to CBS....as that sounds like a productive idea. There seems to be a lot of subliminal hostility lurking around behind the scenes here...though I'm unsure why? There...that sounds like a question. Take care.....

Back