Your Thoughts On Our Concept VS Distribution

My company streams live audio and video programming and while listening to a filmmaker explain the trouble he was having obtaining funding during one of the programs I produce I realized that our company could help him.

The concept is to create an independent film membership site. Yes we know it has been done before. What we found out was that a relatively small amount of filmmakers benefit from it. Or they receive very little revenue, or they receive revenue early and it fizzles out. So what we are doing is offering all filmmakers an equal share of profits from the website just for submitting a film. That share is theirs forever as long as you have a film on the site that remains out of the bottom 5% of views for 2 consecutive months. We have made it so simple that we will require no contract, commitment, or your first born.

The reason I came here is because I seem to be receiving great feedback on the site and concept except with those we really want to help. As a filmmaker or distributor, is this concept not a benefit to both?

The concept is to create an independent film membership site... Or they receive very little revenue, or they receive revenue early and it fizzles out. So what we are doing is offering all filmmakers an equal share of profits from the website just for submitting a film.
  1. Specifically, how is revenue generated?
  2. How will the site be marketed to attract viewers?

The reason I came here is because I seem to be receiving great feedback on the site and concept except with those we really want to help.
Any chance you could post a link to the site?

And of course I would love to read your answers to rayw's
questions. As a filmmaker who has tried other independent
film membership sites and never seen anything I am quite
interested. The other ones do not seem to be able to drive
enough people willing to pay.

1. Specifically, how is revenue generated?
  2. How will the site be marketed to attract viewers?

Revenue is generated by VIP Memberships.

Marketing would be targeted advertising through web media. Also we are counting on the filmmakers to help drive traffic to the site through their social media connections. The site itself will be interactive no matter your membership level and will include content that is visible by anyone.

Any chance you could post a link to the site?

And of course I would love to read your answers to rayw's
questions. As a filmmaker who has tried other independent
film membership sites and never seen anything I am quite
interested. The other ones do not seem to be able to drive
enough people willing to pay.

Well I can't promise you would make anything with us either obviously. What I can promise you that others won't is that you will receive an equal portion of 50% of any revenue generated.

The revenue would come from memberships and VOD or PPV on our Roku and other IPTV platforms. We are also planning our own IPTV box option.

The website is ifilmplex and there is the same info on the site I am offering here as well as some additional info.

Interesting concept. So if there are 250 movies on the site all
250 filmmakers will share an equal portion of 50% of half the
membership fee? As long as your criteria is met?

So if the membership fee is, say, $7.99 a month and you have
1,000 members. Each of the 250 filmmakers will receive $15.98
per month. Or actually a little more because there will always be
the bottom 5% who receive nothing.

I like it. If you can bring in enough paying memberships. Of course
then you need considerably more then 250 movies so the overall
revenue goes down. I get frustrated with Netflix and their 3,000
movies - so few I really want to see.

In your business plan how long do you predict it will take for you to
reach 500 paid subscribers? And how long to attract enough films
to make your platform worth subscribing? How many films do you
hope to have by your April launch?

Interesting concept. So if there are 250 movies on the site all
250 filmmakers will share an equal portion of 50% of half the
membership fee? As long as your criteria is met?

So if the membership fee is, say, $7.99 a month and you have
1,000 members. Each of the 250 filmmakers will receive $15.98
per month. Or actually a little more because there will always be
the bottom 5% who receive nothing.

I like it. If you can bring in enough paying memberships. Of course
then you need considerably more then 250 movies so the overall
revenue goes down. I get frustrated with Netflix and their 3,000
movies - so few I really want to see.

In your business plan how long do you predict it will take for you to
reach 500 paid subscribers? And how long to attract enough films
to make your platform worth subscribing? How many films do you
hope to have by your April launch?

You are correct with the exception that revenue would also include VOD or PPV as well, not just membership fees. Also the filmmakers can offer their DVD for sale and receive that revenue separate from the shared revenue of memberships and VOD. There is an option to members that will allow them to watch or buy the DVD and to non members they have the option to become a member or buy the DVD.

We believe that if enough filmmakers understand the simple principle of the concept that we will be able to slowly build the library. Obviously we can't predict the future, but the feedback thus far has been very positive to the concept. With a very targeted advertising campaign we believe we can reach the 500 level in relatively short order.

Without a library it can't happen at all. So as long as the filmmakers realize that they are share holders as well, then it is easier to see that this is a long term investment in their work not a short term. The object here was a little forever instead of some now and I think you obviously see that. I envision emailing the filmmakers in the future on a regular basis to be actively involved in the future of this concept. Allowing them to take some ownership in the concept.

The great thing about the bottom 5% aspect of the concept is that it benefits everyone collectively. It provides incentives for filmmakers to use there social connections to drive traffic to the site to see their film and everyone benefits because of it. A complete win/win situation that takes nothing more than a share or two everyday on social media or blog posts.

Once we have so filmmakers on board we would like to involve them in a idea we have that would allow those in the bottom 5% to be added to a free area and those that remain in the top 5% of the free area would be added back to the library. The concept was developed to help filmmakers generate something from their work. So this is obviously something we want to consider at some point.

I will make this clear that myself and my partner run a humanitarian streaming audio/video network where we give humanitarian project free streaming services to get their message out. I say this because we want filmmakers to understand that we are trying to help them. We are a for profit business though and intend to use the money to further other humanitarian projects like the streaming network.

As I am sure you are aware it is not cheap to stream media like a Netflix. It is a very costly venture. The benefit to filmmakers with our concept is that we have already absorbed much of those costs and can provide this service to them for 50% of the revenue.

I guess I have another question for filmmakers. Why would you not hop on board with this concept right now? Knowing you are under no obligation or contract and that no matter what the revenue is you will receive an equal share of 50% of it, why wouldn't you just hop on board? Unfortunately I don't have an artistic bone in my body so I have very little knowledge about film making. So I guess I am really asking what would hold a filmmaker back from submitting a film?

By the way: We are seeking someone who would be interested in being in charge of acquiring films for this project. We are seeking a candidate that would eventually take over the full operation of the project. If you know someone who might be interested they can contact me for more information.

Thanks for answering some of my questions.

So I guess I am really asking what would hold a filmmaker back from submitting a film?
As a filmmaker I feel it is unwise to make my films available to
just anyone. Piracy is rampant and greatly reduces revenue. I
know you you know that and are doing everything can to protect
filmmakers - but you asked and that’s one answer. As a filmmaker
I need to be cautious who I offer my works to. It also does
neither you or the filmmaker any good to have a film on your
site that people can access on a dozen sites - it devalues the
movie.

Obviously we can't predict the future, but the feedback thus far has been very positive to the concept. With a very targeted advertising campaign we believe we can reach the 500 level in relatively short order.

I’m not asking you to predict the future. You want the filmmaker
to be “share holders” and actively involved in the concept. I’m
interested so asked about your business plan. In your business
plan how long do you predict it will take for you to reach 500
paid subscribers? And how long to attract enough films to make
your platform worth subscribing to? How many films do you hope
to have by your April launch?

The great thing about the bottom 5% aspect of the concept is that it benefits everyone collectively. It provides incentives for filmmakers to use there social connections to drive traffic to the site to see their film and everyone benefits because of it.
This is an aspect of your platform I do not like. As a filmmaker it
is up to me to drive people to the site to buy a membership and
watch my movie. I’m a filmmaker, not a distributor, I don’t have
time to do the marketing for my movie because I use all my time
to make movies.

As I’m sure you are aware it’s not cheap to make a movie. It’s a
costly venture. So we both have upfront costs. What I want in a
distributor is someone who will do what I don’t do and that’s more
than just host the movie on a web site. I want a distributor to find
an audience and I’m willing to pay for that. You need me, the
filmmaker, to do the job of bringing people to your site to buy a
membership to watch my movie. And I share their fee with not
only you, but with all other filmmakers on the site. In my opinion
you’re asking the filmmaker to do advertising and marketing.

I will make this clear that myself and my partner run a humanitarian streaming audio/video network where we give humanitarian project free streaming services to get their message out. I say this because we want filmmakers to understand that we are trying to help them.
You want to help the filmmaker get their work out there; it’s easy
to get our work out there - it’s very, very difficult to get an audience
and even more difficult to find a paying audience. As a filmmaker I
want to know what you will be doing to bring in a paying audience.

If you can bring in and maintain 1,000 plus paying subscribers then
everyone will make a little money. That’s why I’m curious about your
business plan. I know how difficult it is to get people to pay to watch
independent films. If you can overcome that I’m in!

Thanks for answering some of my questions.

Thank you for the feedback it is very helpful as we develop this concept.

As a filmmaker I feel it is unwise to make my films available to
just anyone. Piracy is rampant and greatly reduces revenue. I
know you you know that and are doing everything can to protect
filmmakers - but you asked and that’s one answer. As a filmmaker
I need to be cautious who I offer my works to. It also does
neither you or the filmmaker any good to have a film on your
site that people can access on a dozen sites - it devalues the
movie.

I agree that security is an issue and as I have said we are working with a company that specializes in this type of streaming media to insure that the films are protected.

There is a level I am sure at which this concept is of no value to a filmmaker. It really isn't what it is being designed for. You may be at that level where this doesn't help you.

I’m not asking you to predict the future. You want the filmmaker
to be “share holders” and actively involved in the concept. I’m
interested so asked about your business plan. In your business
plan how long do you predict it will take for you to reach 500
paid subscribers? And how long to attract enough films to make
your platform worth subscribing to? How many films do you hope
to have by your April launch?

You are asking for a number and unfortunately I can't give you one that would be accurate for many reasons. I believe this concept could get as many as a thousand members within its first month. Can it really? I don't know.

We would like to have 200 to 300 films and or filmmakers on the site by April launch.

This is an aspect of your platform I do not like. As a filmmaker it
is up to me to drive people to the site to buy a membership and
watch my movie. I’m a filmmaker, not a distributor, I don’t have
time to do the marketing for my movie because I use all my time
to make movies.

Again I will say that this concept is not for everyone. There is a level one would acquire within this community where a monthly check might be a hassle due to the time involved in posting to social media.

As I’m sure you are aware it’s not cheap to make a movie. It’s a
costly venture. So we both have upfront costs. What I want in a
distributor is someone who will do what I don’t do and that’s more
than just host the movie on a web site. I want a distributor to find
an audience and I’m willing to pay for that. You need me, the
filmmaker, to do the job of bringing people to your site to buy a
membership to watch my movie. And I share their fee with not
only you, but with all other filmmakers on the site. In my opinion
you’re asking the filmmaker to do advertising and marketing.

I think you are confusing what we are trying to accomplish with film distribution. We say distribute your film as you like but offer your film to a membership site that will pay you each month in addition. However to reply to your point again I will say that you are obviously at a place in your career where this concept may not help as much as it is a burden.

We are asking filmmakers to market their film of course. That's why we are giving them 50% or we would just be like every other option out there and offer pennies per minute viewed. Then we could afford to absorb all the costs.

I ask you don't you already market for a distributor that you're paying? You don't mention them in social media or interviews? You don't direct people to where they can find your films? I guess I am confused as to how you can avoid marketing? So you just make films and people buy them without an ounce of effort on your part? I am not being factious because if you are at this level in your film making career then obviously what we are doing wont help you now.

You want to help the filmmaker get their work out there; it’s easy
to get our work out there - it’s very, very difficult to get an audience
and even more difficult to find a paying audience. As a filmmaker I
want to know what you will be doing to bring in a paying audience.

I'm not sure how to answer this question any better than I have. We have consulted with a marketing expert who has and continues to advise us on strategies for marketing. I can not possibly offer that strategy to you. I can answer simply like I have already that we have a targeted plan.

If you can bring in and maintain 1,000 plus paying subscribers then
everyone will make a little money. That’s why I’m curious about your
business plan. I know how difficult it is to get people to pay to watch
independent films. If you can overcome that I’m in!

What will make this project unique is that the member will actually be helping to support the efforts of filmmakers. This project will never be Netflix we are pretty proud of that actually.

To answer your question about business plan we have an interesting aspect that will allow film festivals all over the world to host an online version of their festivals as well as other aspects that we are not prepared to talk about at present. The point is that we could probably just make a living doing the film festivals for a per view fee. It isn't what we want to do and it doesn't directly help the filmmakers.

As for the members, I guess I could just tell you that we will have our 1000 folks in a couple weeks and fill you full of BS, but that isn't me. We may never get 1000 members. I can tell you this, it wont be because we didn't try.

Thank you for the feedback. It is really helping us understand some of the issues facing us. I believe your concerns are the same for many filmmakers and we will make every attempt at address them while adhering to our mission.

There is a level I am sure at which this concept is of no value to a filmmaker. It really isn't what it is being designed for. You may be at that level where this doesn't help you.
<snip>
Again I will say that this concept is not for everyone.
An interesting dismissal of a filmmaker like me who is interested in
your concept and in finding new ways to make money from my movies.
I don't think that's your intention, but these statements sure seem
like you're just dismissing a large group of filmmakers.

You are asking for a number and unfortunately I can't give you one that would be accurate for many reasons. I believe this concept could get as many as a thousand members within its first month. Can it really? I don't know.
I’m not asking for accurate numbers. You have a plan - I’m asking what
your projections are. You have done a lot of work; researching other similar
platforms, finding where the holes are, learning what people want to see,
so you have projections beyond what you believe will happen. You want
the filmmaker to be a partner so I'm interested in what those projections
are. What has your researched shown are reasonable numbers for the first
quarter of a platform like this? You did say 200 to 300 films on the site at
launch - that's all I was asking.

I think you are confusing what we are trying to accomplish with film distribution. We say distribute your film as you like but offer your film to a membership site that will pay you each month in addition. However to reply to your point again I will say that you are obviously at a place in your career where this concept may not help as much as it is a burden.

We are asking filmmakers to market their film of course. That's why we are giving them 50% or we would just be like every other option out there and offer pennies per minute viewed. Then we could afford to absorb all the costs.
I think you're right. This platform might not be for filmmakers like me. I don’t
have the time to drive people to your site so I can share revenue with other
filmmakers. And to be honest, I don’t like the idea that I would be sharing
revenue FROM other filmmakers. They spent the money, the worked hard, they
should get every penny and not share some of it with me.

I ask you don't you already market for a distributor that you're paying? You don't mention them in social media or interviews? You don't direct people to where they can find your films? I guess I am confused as to how you can avoid marketing? So you just make films and people buy them without an ounce of effort on your part?
Yes. Not one ounce of marketing on my part. Distributors market
the films - they find buyers and viewers. No, I do not direct people
to where they can find my films - that’s the job of the distributor.
Of course I can do that - I could spend hours and a lot of money
marketing my movies. But I am a filmmaker. I spend hours and
a lot of money making films.

However, I'm still curious and interested. I am not interested in a
hosting site; there are several dozen available that offer better
terms and already have a strong customer base. But your platform
sparks my interest - thus my questions:

I promote my films and I get someone to check it out. They go to
the site that pays me $1.50 for each view. Or they go to ifilmplex.
There are 500 films and I happen to be in the bottom 5% that week.
So I get nothing from that viewer. I did the marketing job and I
got nothing. Okay, I’m not in the bottom 5 percent and the person
doesn’t want to buy a membership - just wants to watch my movie
because I’ve been doing all the marketing work. If you charge $4 to
watch it you get $2 and I split the $2 with 475 filmmakers; $0.00042.
I understand that I will be getting a percentage of everyone's earnings
but I would lose money on a situation like this. All 475 filmmakers would
need to drive one person to pay for VOD (at $4) for me to make $2.

It seems your entire business plan is contingent on there being at least
500 paying members each month and no more than 250 films. There
needs to be at the very least a 2 members per film available for this to
make money for the filmmakers. If you have 500 paying members and
2,000 films at, say, $7.99 that’s $3.99 a month per filmmaker. I could
be the filmmaker who brings 30 of those people and I still get $3.99 per
month.

If my movie drops into the bottom 5 I have to work really hard to get
people wo watch my film and get it into the higher percentage. I could
work hard and drive 10 people to buy memberships and still not get
out of the bottom five so I make nothing from them. Let’s say I drive
30 people to buy a membership and each of them watches my movie
and that pulls me out of the bottom 5%. I could get a check for $4 the
next month for that effort. If I drove 30 people to a site that gave me
$1 per view I’d get $30. If a distributor marketed my movie to 30 views
at $5 each they would take $75 and I would get $75. And I didn’t do
the work driving them to the website - I spent that time making my
next film.

What am I missing here? Where have I gone wrong?

Back