Any Questions for Kevin Smith?

Hey guys,

Reporting in from Toronto where we're in the midst of the Kevin Smith Fest... K Dawg is up here with Mewes doing Q&As and screening all his Askewniverse flicks... saw him at the 3-hour Q&A at Roy Thompson Hall last night and tonight was Clerks and Clerks II followed each with hilarious mini-question periods..

It's lovely- right down the street from where I live at the Bloor Cinema- same venue we premiered our first feature in there- so it's got the right sentimental vibe for me anyway.

So there's two more nights of movie-going... anyone have any good questions they'd like to ask the man via proxy?

If so, lemme know!!

I don't know about anyone else but I really liked Mallrats. I know it got panned but I thought Jason Lee was great and Ben Afflect was good as a jerky mall store manager.

But really, Jay and Silent Bob having nothing better to do but destroy the stage for a dating show and beating the crap out of the Easter Bunny - thats good stuff!

Will Jay and Silent Bob make another movie together?

No. Or so he says. He's closed the Askewniverse with Clerks 2, though Jay and Silent Bob was supposed to be the ending there. So who knows... as for now, he's moved on, but he DID say he would probably revisit Dante and Randall- check in on them when they're in their 40's.... and if the Quickstop gets another picture, I'm pretty sure he'd have to don the coat and backwards hat once more... So he says no, but I don't believe him.

I would have been kind of curious to know how Red State is doing.

He said it's pretty much about to go into casting, so you'd best watch the trades in the next few months cause it'll be his next production most likely. He was saying something about Scott Mosier wanting to Direct, so Red State could end up being a Mosier's debut.

I dunno, he kept talking about Batman (he writes for Batman comics!!!) and I ended up paying more attention to that because Batman is the best thing in the universe, but I can't remember any more specific things about Redstate- I saw people taping the Q&As, so maybe youtube them up.

I don't know about anyone else but I really liked Mallrats. I know it got panned but I thought Jason Lee was great and Ben Afflect was good as a jerky mall store manager.

I had passes to all 6 films and after watching Mallrats again, I still think it was an awesome flick but Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back far surpasses it as far as hilarity and tying everything together goes.

But I think the best of them all is Clerks 2- the most mature in filmmaking and best writing out of all the others. It had me at "Pillowpants". I can't wait until Clerks 3.

I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

You're not alone.

I loved Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back...I saw it on Virgin Atlantic flight to London when it came out and I laughed my ass off out loud on the flight!

The only thing is, they were using big name brand actors like Will Farrell and I just think they would have been better off sticking to the actors who aren't so Hollywood. I thought that Kevin started to go a little too Hollywood after that. Same thing with Dogma, he didn't need big name actors.

I think Kevin should stay out of the Hollywood crowd and hire his own actors and let them build from there like Ben and Jason. Thats the story I like.

Back