This a good set up?

I have a Lenovo Think Pad W530 laptop and I'm wondering if these specs are good for editing HD Video

Specs:
8GB Ram, Intel i-7 Processor 2.60GHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics, 1TB HD

is that good? Will it handle well? I also can connect it to an external monitor

It'll be fine for shorts, even lengthy ones, + some SFX.

It might start to bog down on a full length feature.
Probably oughtta consider stitching together a several of lengthy shorts to build an entire feature.

Most computers are good enough to edit on, but are not going to be fast. Your specs look better then my computer and I can edit a 30minute short, without it become to slow for my likings. Yours should be just fine for shorts.

I was just going to test one like that, as soon as I clear off a bunch of disk space. Make sure you have lots of extra disk.

The W series should be pretty good since the screens are really good and they're decently fast. I have the built-in color calibrator.

You don't want all those files taking up vital space on your computer hard drive. Besides, a standard 1 Terabyte external hard drive will only run you about $150 if not less.
Make sure you have an extra copy of the footage and your edits on a separate drive. Would really suck to have to reshoot because you didn't do backups.

I prefer to have the files taking up vital space on my main harddrive unless I'm using a USB 3.0 external (or maybe a firewire) which can go a bit faster. It's just painful trying to do any interactive work with a slow usb drive, so I generally just use them for backups and transfers.

Back