Addicted to Editing! Help!

So i started filming my feature "The Campground" back in May and during that time i had a job so i didn't really have time for quick editing (as I'm the director, writer, Editor, sound mixer, one of 2 boom operators, Stunt coordinator and double) i just let the data build up, but in early of this month my CEO walked up tp me and said" I feel your movie is taking presidents over your job here" and i simply replied "Well... i don't plan to retire here" since i have been fired and have all the time to film! Since this freedom though i have started editing what i have so when we wrap up i only need to edit for 2 weeks top and have the feature ready to go for festivals before the fall deadlines. Here's the problem..

I CANT STOP EDITING!

I will finally come up with a really good edit and be "done" i'll show it too some producers to get insight but then ill see something, or i'll have a new idea, or i just look for something wrong. I have sat at my desk watching a 2 min clip for 2 hours over and over just trying to find something to edit. If I'm not filming I'm glued to the desk.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? If so how in the hell did you get through it?!? Or am i just crazy cuz I'm doing to many roles production wise and ill never be happy.

http://www.thecampgroundfilm.com

it is kind of addicting as long as you're editing something that already looks good... editing scenes that look bad that you have to "fix in post" completely destroys your faith in the project (Trust me)

So i think it just says something for your film, that you are glued to your desk. Maybe it's a masterpiece....

Believe me, this "can't stop editing" syndrome is not specific to you, it happens ALL the time in commercial products and causes all kinds of logistical problems in audio post which either hugely ramps up costs, reduces the quality of the film or in extreme cases destroys the film!!

It's usually due to the fact that once there's a lock-off edit, audio post starts and the director's work load eases up greatly. During this downtime, most directors simply can't help themselves and start tinkering with the edit. Of course, this causes a nightmare because the audio post team now have to drop everything and re-conform all the sound before they can continue. If the audio post team are re-conforming, they are not fulfilling their actual audio post roles, so either more personnel need to be hired or the quality of the audio post team's work is going to be compromised. There are extreme examples of films which have effectively bankrupted themselves because they have blown their audio post budget re-conforming and never got as far as completing a final mix!

Famously, LOTR had to have an additional, night-shift audio post team, dedicated just to re-conforming, so the main audio post teams had a workable edit the next day. Katy Woods was the head of this re-conform team and eventually software was written and sold commercially (called Virtual Katy) which automates much of the re-conforming process (although the picture editor needs to be especially diligent with EDLs and Change Lists for it to work). Pretty much all commercial audio post facilities own Virtual Katy (or similar software) plus various other re-conforming tools, which demonstrates how commonly re-conforming is required.

Obviously, no budget/non-commercial indie films do not usually employ audio post teams or this type of professional audio post workflow and so none of what I've written above is particularly applicable. I thought it would be of interest to describe it though, as it demonstrates why, if you want to progress to commercial quality films at some stage, it would be a good idea to break this "can't stop editing" habit.

G

Very common issue my friend. As artist we are all super critical of ourselves, we really want to be profectionist. Eventually you will have to put the picture out but, if your in no rush and you continue to see what can be fixed to make your picture better then go for it with full force. Most times we see problems that editing can't fix then we just have to take that at face value and learn from the harsh teacher of experience.

"You" can actually go and fix something Thats awesome! Festivals will always be here. If the film is really that messed up to you that you refuse to let it be then maybe the film is no good at all, and your spirits is forcing you to understand this. Only you know what you created, only you know if it looks like a work of art or not.

Best regards
Devin Gibson

I hate to say it, but I think you need to put more time into it. I checked out the clip that's available on your website, and it's really sloppily cut together. The only two cuts that work are those that cut to an entirely different character. The numerous cuts that involve continuous action, from the same character, they're all wonky as heck.

Editing is about precision. It takes time, and lots of patience.

Back