Can i apply for more than one festival in same time?

Hello every one,
I'm almost done with my first short film, and thinking to apply for some film festivals. But i found many of festivals writes on them rules: "Films that have not been presented in any international motion picture event".
So i was wondering, how you deal with that?
do you apply for more than film festival in same time?
What if two film festivals accept you but they are on different dates, would you withdraw from one?
And do you submit it from the film festival site? or do you use Withoutabox?

I'm little bit confused. And your answers will help me a lot.

Thanks

Yes! A thousand times, yes! Make multiple submissions. If you don't, you'll spend years (literally) submitting to each festival and waiting for a response.

Some of the major festivals have premiere requirements, such as Sundance and Cannes. If you truly believe you have a shot at being accepted to either of them, it might be worth waiting to hear from them. But the odds are so astronomical, I personally wouldn't bother. 99% of festivals expect you will submit to many festivals -- as a matter of fact, they count on it. Everybody wants your submission fees.

If you're accepted to more than one, send them each a copy of the film. Obviously you can only attend one at a time, but you're not required to be there.

Use Withoutabox. So much easier!

I'll add to this.

Yes, you can submit to as many festivals as you want. However, you need to check the entry requirements and conditions for each festival before you do so. Some of the higher profile festivals require premiere, or require the film to have not been shown more than once, so if you submit to 20 festivals, being accepted into 3 and then go 'I might try Sundance now' you'll find you're ineligible to enter.

All films I've worked on that were destined for the festival circuit have had a 'plan of attack' about the festivals they want to enter and the dates in which they will enter each, depending on what they hear back.

So Jax, even if it doesn't get shown at other festivals (just previewed) does that discount it from some festivals? I mean I would count the preview as still being a private screening, right?

It would depend on the make up of the preview, and the festival(s) in which you want to enter.

Some festivals are really lax about it, others are very strict. For example, some festivals will allow a cast/crew screening with a maximum of 102 people.

I couldn't imagine a preview screening being counted as a 'premiere' - but again, it's important to look at the eligibility criteria of the festivals you're wanting to apply to, and do so before any submissions so you can draw up a festival plan.

I know it's kinda wrong, but what if the festival isn't aware that you've shown it to other festivals? Or do the organizers communicate with each other?

A quick google would bring up any instances of the film being exhibited at another festival, unless you happen to find a festival that doesn't have a website, and avoid all online media during the run.. In which case is it really worth it?

I don't really see the point in risking disqualification from a big festival simply so you can exhibit at a much smaller festival, especially when you'll be able to exhibit at that smaller festival anyway, if your film doesnt get accepted into the larger festival, you just might have to wait a bit longer. But that's the point of a plan with dates - if you don't get accepted, you move onto the soonest one, rather than waiting 11 months to submit to a different one..

So what to do when they all have really close submission dates?

If it's Sundance, etc, you wait a year. It sucks. That's why I said, unless you've got some serious firepower in your arsenal that'll assure you a spot in their roster, just move on with your life.

Some folks say, "You never know." 99.9% of the time I'll disagree with that. But if a filmmaker is okay with waiting a year to see if they win the lottery (so to speak) before getting their film out in the world, more power to them.

That's the point of having a plan. You hope your film isn't complete in January, if you are going for Sundance. Sundance's submission date is August, and I would imagine their notify date is around November. So, you'll know in November if you are/aren't in to Sundance. If you are, great. If you aren't, you then look at the next festival you want to apply to, let's say Tribeca. It's deadline is 30th November, or late deadline is mid-late December. Their notify date might be Feb or March. And you then go down the list. You'll hit a point where the festivals don't need exclusivity or Premiere, at which point, you submit to a bunch at the same time.

If you don't want to be patient, then you can't apply to Palm Springs, Tribeca, SXSW, Sundance, Cannes unless you wait a year in between. For example, you might apply to Sundance and then Tribeca this year, next year maybe Palm Springs and SXSW, and then make your way down the list of non-exclusives.

Or, you don't try for the majors and just go for the second-tier and lower festivals. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But, I do believe you need to have a plan in place, at least for the first few you want to submit to. It will help you navigate all the dates and requirements, as well as mean you won't be too downhearted if you don't get selected for the first 5 you submit to (it happens), you can just keep plugging away.

Also, keep in mind that whilst some of the bigger festivals have requirements like the film must have been made within the past two years, most of the smaller ones don't. In fact, you can keep submitting to festivals around the world for as long as you want. There have been numerous times I've been to see movies at MIFF that have been out on DVD in the US for 2 years+, or even just premiered on the US festival circuit 2+ years before.

Last edited:
if a festival accepts you, and another bigger one does as well, can you turn the first one down?

I'm not sure - I've never encountered a situation where it has happened.. I would imagine if you didn't send them an exhibition copy of your film then they couldn't really exhibit it, but it's pretty bad form to do so.

Back