Not happy with withoutabox screener quality?/Festivals ask better copy if selected?

I have uploaded a copy to withoutabox/imdb and not so happy about the quality and trying to upload another copy to see it'll be better after it's been rendered by the site again

My question are:
What is the purpose of the screener?
If it is the ultimate copy for the festivals it's quality not good enough to be shown at the festivals, I reckon.

Does that mean festivals are happy with this screener quality in general and they show it at festivals as it is or they actually ask a better copy if its selected to be screened at the festivals?

I appreciate your thoughts on that very much

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Yep, as Mara mentioned, the screener is only for them to view, in order to decide whether they want to accept your film.

Frankly, I'm rather shocked -- appalled, really -- at the extremely low quality that you are able to upload for your online screener. It just smacks of illogic. If youtube and vimeo are able to host high-quality videos, FOR FREE, with NO ADVERTISING, then why is imdb unable to do the same? Why can't a user just link to their private, higher-quality youtube or vimeo video?

The online screener is really convenient, and will save on mailing costs, but when I saw how horrible the quality is, I instantly switched to mailing DVDs.

Frankly, I'm rather shocked -- appalled, really -- at the extremely low quality that you are able to upload for your online screener. It just smacks of illogic. If youtube and vimeo are able to host high-quality videos, FOR FREE, with NO ADVERTISING, then why is imdb unable to do the same? Why can't a user just link to their private, higher-quality youtube or vimeo video?

The online screener is really convenient, and will save on mailing costs, but when I saw how horrible the quality is, I instantly switched to mailing DVDs.

Yup, I completely agree.

Thank you for your prompt responses.
I'm kind of relieved on one hand, disgusted with the poor quality they provided compared to youtube or vimeo as you have also pointed out, on the other hand

all the best to you

I wish they could improvize their rendering settings and provide a better copy for the fest people
which reminds me that some festivals accept screeners from vimeo too.

Is there any festival comprehensive listing that accept vimeo uploads please?

By the way, imdb/withoutabox response was quick for my inquiry this time:
Your Secure Online Screener will NOT be used as the exhibition format. If your film is selected to screen, you will be asked to supply an accepted exhibition format. The category details page for each festival will list the accepted exhibition formats. In the event that you are not able to obtain an upload quality you are comfortable with, we suggest mailing DVDs directly to the festivals that you are applying to.

We recommend the following settings to optimize video quality on the IMDb site:

• File size: Less than 2GB

• Format: Flash Video (Codec: Sorenson or VP6 codec) or Quicktime
FLV videos using the H.263 video codec and the MP3 audio codec
MP4 videos using the H.264 video codec and the AAC audio codec

• We do not currently support HD video. You will be able to upload an HD video, but the file will NOT be displayed in HD.

• While you can upload an aspect ratio of UP to 16:9, (which will be displayed in letterbox), the system is currently able to support 4:3. For best viewing quality, we recommend the 4:3 aspect ratio.

If your file looks squeezed, please try re-encoding (or re-exporting) your film over again before uploading. What could be happening, is your file may have two aspect ratio specs. One of them, being false and throwing off our system.

***IMPORTANT***

Do NOT submit your Secure Online Screener to a festival until you have watched the upload in its entirety. To view your Secure Online Screener, select the "view" link directly below your project title from your Withoutabox account. Once in the project form, select the "Full Movies" link, and then click on your video.

Regards,
Withoutabox Support
The IMDb Help Desk

Heh, I thought y'all must have been exaggerating at first... but dang, that's some pretty piss-poor specs. :lol:

Online screening is one of the most vaunted aspects of WAB. You'd figure they'd be able to make it look good and worth your money. Sheesh.

Back