Netflix Enthralls Viewers...with Original Programming.

The new Pee-Wee Herman movie is also a Netflix exclusive, and I'm not so sure I'm keen on that. It's not good for the box-office, at any rate, with straight-up films going exclusivley to subscriber channels.

The new Pee-Wee Herman movie is also a Netflix exclusive, and I'm not so sure I'm keen on that. It's not good for the box-office, at any rate, with straight-up films going exclusivley to subscriber channels.

at this rate it's only a matter of time before hbo starts making movies.

But it only has to attract a few million new subscribers to make back it's budget

But it locks people into subscription models.

The new Star Wars movie could make its money back, even if it was exclusively locked behind a subscription to Hulu. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good for the consumer, though.

They get a month of the service for the price of a single movie ticket and can cancel at any time.

How does it affect the content creators?

I've done very little research on this regarding film, but streaming for music has been argued to be pretty bad for content creators (profits are pretty poor for artists from streaming services) - but some commentators argue that many artists have gained more fans from the advent of streaming to make profit from other means (concerts, t-shirt sales, etc). Graphics like this and articles likes this have been pretty widely circulated.

So how does the move to streaming affect content creators? That there is a challenge to the current model is important, because the old model was outdated - but is the new one actually better for artists?

Back