Why is hiring legit/commited actors/actresses so tough?

I had 2 interviews with cast members last week. Both said they were VERY committed to doing this project and they would get back to me about it later on that day. One did, and I was pleased but unfortunately, he was the side character. The actor that I wanted to play the main actor for this film said he was deeply interested in the part and DID commit to doing the project in the interview, hasn't responded to me in 6 days......... And he's already updated both twitter and facebook (Yes, I stalked this guy just to make sure he had an excuse for not responding back) so I'm just assuming he's no longer interested in the part.

Anyway, so yeah when you're doing a micro-budget feature film, depression can really start to kick in since you realize that these guys are just trying to get "Big" opportunities in film and are not wanting to settle on your micro-budget film because they don't think it will benefit them. So here I am, stuck, searching for a replacement actor that actually will commit him/herself to the project yet still, they again may change their minds (hopefully not during production) and you will be screwed again.

What are your opinions though? Do you think the process of hiring talented and committed cast members the hardest process of all?

I have no idea about Michigan, but in Los Angeles the competition is so steep that unknown actors tend to feel grateful to have booked ANY job. But it's also very important to set aside some of your budget to actually pay them. If an actor books another role or has a high paying audition or has day job obligations and their rent situation is going to be tight this month, you better give them a pretty good reason $$ to show up to your set.

when you're doing a micro-budget feature film, depression can really start to kick in since you realize that these guys are just trying to get "Big" opportunities in film and are not wanting to settle on your micro-budget film because they don't think it will benefit them.

Your point of view is a little odd to me. Getting depressed because humans have human nature where they look out for their own best interests over the interests of others is odd to me. You really need to see the world for what it is and work with that instead of expecting the world to change its nature.

There is a theory of creating win-win situations and aligning yourself with the needs of others. The trick is you need to take care of your own needs as well as taking care of the needs of those around you.

The question you need to consider is: Who is going to benefit the most to team with you to make a micro-budget movie that has very little chance of success? Do they have sufficient skills to help you deliver your goal? If not, you may need to either train them (if possible) or find different goals.

It kind of feels like you're looking for people outside the scope of who you can afford or who you can build a win-win situation with.

Do you think the process of hiring talented and committed cast members the hardest process of all?

I will tell you, it's tough. Team building is really hard. Is it the hardest part of the filmmaking process? I'd say no. One thing, once you have the perfect team, the rest of the process becomes a lot easier.

Good luck with your movie.

It was certainly not too tough for me to find committed actors for my microbudget feature (shamelessplug, please help: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasmerrin/sleepwalkers-feature-film), but I was working in NY where the competition is fiercer and there's a higher actor supply.

I think the trick is to really sell it to them as an opportunity. If the project is something they really like, or if they really feel like it's going to benefit their careers, then they'll be more committed. Step one is always to have an awesome script that they'll love (you can usually rally a good cast/crew, even with a small budget, around an awesome script), but past that I'd recommend having a long term game plan - and setting your goals high. "The plan is to shoot this script by day X, edit it by day Y, and submit it to film festivals by day Z. These are the festivals we're going to submit to (aim high - no harm in getting rejected). We're hoping we'll find distribution at the film festivals - hopefully theatrical, but maybe direct to dvd or on demand. If we get rejected from film festivals, here's how we'll promote it, and where we'll put it (we can always self release online, putting it on YouTube or another streaming service)." If you have a plan for what you're going to do with your movie, and you make it sound like this is going to be a big deal - more importantly, if you believe it will be a big deal, or are serious about trying to make this movie into something big - that'll inspire your actors and convince them that this is worth their full commitment.

And, one last time, just because we only have 6 days left in our campaign, a final desperate shameless plug for the kickstarter to finance the remaining part of my very first feature film:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasmerrin/sleepwalkers-feature-film

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Jason

When you are asking someone to work for free you take what you can get.
Did you offer to cover basic expenses?
Are you at least feeding your crew and actors?
How flexible is YOUR schedule as opposed to working around someone else's.
When we start shooting next year (low budget horror) I intend to pay as many people as possible and at least feed the volunteers a decent meal when they work.
In the military we learned that a big part of leadership is taking care of your soldiers. I still do that since I retired. I pay anybody that works for me at least ten dollars an hour because I feel like that is a living wage (in my area) and that if they are hard workers they deserve it.
You need to examine this situation and see where the real problem is.

it has been said many times before, anyways:

It is like with everything where you have to rely on people, especially when you are working on a low/no-budget project.

From my experience, since Actors can't be replaced just like that... you have to have a budget which at least covers their daily earnings they would make when not acting in your picture, a set schedule and a legal contract ... there is no other way around this matter.

This is why any main-protagonist or leading roles have to be covered in gold throughout the entire production... >:(

...and kicked out once the scenes are locked ^^

---
Regards
Michael Bergner
http://windupfilms.blogspot.com

Ever heard of understudies in theatrical productions? You could always make sure you have a back-up actor who can be cast in a role if the original actor bails. That way you won't feel helpless and you can fix the situation in a very small amount of time.

They surely have discussed with their mentor (?) seniors !!! and opted out.
Rather than small roles in tv series /big screen , recognition can be obtained in big roles of short movies.
IT REALLY HELPS IN SUBMITTING STRONG PROFILE DURING AUDITIONING.

iF YOU REALLY THINK YOUR SCRIPT IS SUCH IMPRESSIVE , STRAIGHT GO TO STAGE ACTORS AND SHARE IT WITH THEM. iF THYE REALLY THNK IT CAN BUILD STRENGTH TO THEIR PROFILE FOR ACTING CAREER IN MOVIES/TV , THEY'LL SURELY ACCEPT IT. eVEN FOR FREE.!!!

If you don't pay actors - as soon as a paid gig arrives he/she can dump you in a second. And it is absolutely reasonable given that they have the same bills to pay as everyone else. And to be fair the amount of films being made which all say "we will submit to festivals" is close to infinite and the amount of actually getting into festivals is close to 0. Will an actor or crew member get involved only in projects he/she trully loves? Nope,cause they will be doing nothing most of the time. They will do most things. Trying to distinguish crew/actors who trully care and who just get involved in everything is very hard and probably impossible. One of my mates cast a side character,she attended a month of rehearsals and dropped out on the actual shooting day. ?!

Back