Awkwardness.

Do any of you find aproaching people who you want to cast in your projects a bit awkward? I'm feeling it at the moment as my friend dropped out of this short film I'm going to make and I am a little worried about asking people to be in it.

Is there any helpful tips/ tricks too overcome this or am I just being a bit silly?

Just go for it.

Think about the worst possible outcome of asking someone and prepare yourself for that. In all likelihood the worst thing is that they say 'no.'

You have a point Dreadylocks.

At the moment Nick it's my friends, but as I progress as a filmmaker it will start to be actors I don't actually know.

You have a point Dreadylocks.

At the moment Nick it's my friends, but as I progress as a filmmaker it will start to be actors I don't actually know.

I have only ever found it awkward asking my friends for help.

When I was making crappy short films I ended up acting in a lot myself simply because I knew that unless I had friends who were involved in the inception of the idea then it would be tricky to get them to come onboard and not spend the whole time taking the piss.

That said- When I used to cast friends in theatre projects I would just take the process seriously and then in a kind of domino effect they'd end up taking it seriously.

Produce a properly formatted screenplay, treatment and character breakdowns. Compile it into a user friendly guide for your prospective actor and suddenly, in your friend's eyes, they'll be taking part in a short film not just 'that thingy TheMcDay's (if that is your real name ;) ) doing at the weekend...'

There are some people who have absolutely no interest in having their face on camera, and they will let you know, vehemently.

But they are the exception. Almost all people will be flattered, and even if they can't do it, they'll be glad that you asked.

Just ask! Enthusiasm is contagious.

Well I intend to take it seriously, but with my friends I can't be too serious as that is what will make them take the piss. It's also that a lot of my friends would be really good for comedy, which I would do if the thought of it didn't terrify me. My friends working on a script, hopefully he's formatting it properly so that should bring a level of seriousness.

Yeah Cracker Funk (awesome name by the way) I'm one of those people who can't stand having their face on camera, that's why I can't just cast myself. Just asking seems like the best option to take rather then beating round the bush.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dear TheMcDay
While I can understand your reluctance to get in front of the camera, I must insist that you try. :)

Many of us had to climb that wall, I did it here, in front of this forum. It was hard, but liberating.
This was my first time in front of a camera.. http://www.vimeo.com/9955498

Seriously, how can you ask someone to do something you wont do? I mean, were not talking rock climbing or some dangerous thing, just get in front of the camera. If you don't, I'll never take you seriously.

You can do it, right now, grab a camera, set it up and film yourself..

Sincerely
Wheatgrinder

But wheatgrinder what if it's due to lack of talent in the acting department? I mean no one wants to see shoddy acting from the person dictating how the actors should be, it seems hypocritical.

I mean sure if there is an extra or small role that needs filling then I'd happily take that, but then that still means that I'd have to get a camera operator.

But wheatgrinder what if it's due to lack of talent in the acting department? I mean no one wants to see shoddy acting from the person dictating how the actors should be, it seems hypocritical.

I mean sure if there is an extra or small role that needs filling then I'd happily take that, but then that still means that I'd have to get a camera operator.

Right. I don't wanna direct and act at the same time. I'm witchoo, McDay. If you wanna just direct, then that's what you do.

Oh good..
Your not UNWILLING, rather you know your a crappy actor, thats different. I was projecting my own irrationality upon you, I recant.

Thanks Cracker Funk, I will do.

By all means I'm not unwilling, I'd love to be able to be more involved in any projects I partake in but not if it means soiling that project.

I'm in that spot right now casting my friends. It helps that everyone knows me as the film making/storyteller friend, so when I come up with some 'fantastic' project I'm all excited about, no one's surprised XD. What I do is take a serious look at my characters and then a serious assessment of what my friends look like and are capable of. I am in the fantasy/animation genre primarily, so a live action film with my friends will have just as much emphasis on expressions and subtlety as if I were drawing frames. I actually purposefully created the script I'm working on currently to work with my friends' personas.

For example, I have two friends who are black belts in Tai Kwon Doh. One of them is also a breakdancer, who likes the nonchalant ultra-cool guy persona. The other one, when being funny, is very emotive and witty, and even poetic in serious times. Even though they are just normal people, I can take those traits they enjoy showing and exemplify them in the characters. My breakdancing friend is now a badass villain with few (if any) spoken lines. He delivers through his eyes and posture. Meanwhile my emotive friend gets the largest speaking part as the cryptic figure who aids the protagonist. These two have a fight scene against each other, and I can't tell you how excited they are about that :D.

However, you do have to work with them. Alot. Explaining the character and their role inside and out. I actually act back to them, giving them an example of how they must feel. (I even have to coach them on expressions.) You won't be the one on camera, but if you can show them the beats for their movements physically, then you'll see them start to be proud of the character, and need your help less. Potentially even take off with it better than you imagined. Some people hook on faster than others, especially when the role is tailored for them to like it.
The real dilemma is when you have a story that no one in your friend group fits, no one returns your enthusiasm, or they're just plain unreliable. In which case you may have to go out of your friend group by posting an ad in the newspaper or on a website. "No pay, but there will be fun, food, and potential acting exposure."

Potentially seek out people from a drama club. They will at least have more experience than friends.

I got to say man, a breakdancer with a black belt in Tai Kwon Doh is like the perfect villian.

Yeah I'm facing that dilemma, the only one of my friends who I feel could do it was interested for a bit but then backed out as nerves got the better of him. No one else seems to be right for it even though it's a pretty basic character.

Seeking out drama clubs is a good idea but it's just a matter of finding them. I'm optimistic that it will all work out though.

Back