• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need some feedback and help.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and could really use anyone's help with advice and feedback. I'm an aspiring screenwriter and I eventually hope to direct and produce. I just moved to Los Angeles and I am looking to make connections and friends. I have a huge passion and would love nothing more than to do this for a living. I love you all.

I am quite happy at the high traffic of aspiring screenwriters on this forum as of recent. My advice to you is that the title screenwriter is a big responsibility. After all, we are the root of every film. So wear it well. Even though you are "aspiring" or amateur, that doesn't mean you can't be seen as professional or industrial standards; be confident. I say that to say, learn the proper grammar of the English language; learn appropriate screenplay format; there are many screenwriting software out there that you can choose. And lastly, when you finish, get a literary agent. Because even if you are new, a production would not see you as new.

I am a screenwriter, myself for years now, before I join this community and confidence is what mostly got me through. If you want to connect or collaborate I have no problem with that, private message me. I'm always willing to help.

Welcome640.jpg

I'm not a screenwriter, I do audio post. But I've lost count of all the projects that have been through my studio. That gives me a little at least a little credibility.

Really good filmmaking is about layers. That includes the script. The characters need depth, the story has to peak the interest of your target audience, it needs a satisfactory conclusion. You will tear your scripts apart and rebuild them many times. Be prepared to kill your babies. Get others you trust give you honest opinions of your work - the hard part is finding people who will be honest!

And, as a sound guy, remember that characters - and your audience - have ears as well as eyes. Almost everyone lives in a sonic world, so don't forget to take advantage of the "other half" of filmmaking.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

Back