• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help with ADR re-doing dialogue

[/FONT]Hey there. This is my first time to this site, and think it is such a great idea. I made my first feature, and just finished editing it. I am planning on having my actors come in to re-do their dialogue. Any pointers? Has anyone done this that can assist with any recommendations? Everything that I am doing I am doing for the first time. Please visit website to learn more about my project. www.idratherbemakingamovie.com Shot on Panasonic DVX100a, and edited on AVID. Thank you...Armand 619.549.6170

What do you have planned? Like everything else, there is a standard process for this, involving something resembling a recording studio, a recording booth, headphones, repetitive playback, and tone countdown. The actor hears the on set recording of his lines on his headphones and says them back over and over into a studio mic, until he gets it right, while mainting sync with picture.

What is your set up? How are you expecting it to unfold?

ADR can be tough, we are just finishing ours up right now. Most of our actors had never done any before so there was a learning curve there for them.

We have done all of ours in Apple's Soundtrack Pro and it has worked very well. Like Eagle said, there is a standard process, but you just need to find what works for you and go that route.

I have my actors set in a booth with audio and video playback set up for them. We pick a scene and I usualy have all of his lines pre-marked for quick access. We choose a line and I loop it for them as they read along and attempt to find the pacing and tone of the original track. As soon as they feel comfortable with the line we roll. I usually let them lay down 3 or 4 takes of it, without having them worry about syncing it up. I can manually sync it up if they get the pacing right. I find that when they attempt to sync it up themselves, they don't deliver lines as well as they could.

Each individual is different. I have my director in the studio with me helping the actors get back to the mindset they had when the scene was shot. When on location, the actors are up and ready to work. Chances are that when they are in the studio the tone of their voice will be much much lower than the original audio. You have to continually remind them of that and make sure that they are giving you the best track possible.

So far we have had pretty good luck with it. This has been my first go round with ADR as well and it was not as painstaking as I originally thought it would be.

Good luck with yours.

-Adam

HI there. Thank you for getting back to me. What I plan on doing is setting up a soundproof room by putting up some heavy moving blankets on the walls. I have a monitor for viewing, and was planning on having them listen to themselves while wearing headphones. Are the actors going to be talking to eachother? Example: I have a couple talking in a restaurant. Do I have them both do their lines together from beginning to end of the scene as they did it then, or do I have them do their lines individually?

I am going to be switching from AVID over to PREMIERE to do the audio

HI there. Thank you for getting back to me. What I plan on doing is setting up a soundproof room by putting up some heavy moving blankets on the walls. I have a monitor for viewing, and was planning on having them listen to themselves while wearing headphones. Are the actors going to be talking to eachother? Example: I have a couple talking in a restaurant. Do I have them both do their lines together from beginning to end of the scene as they did it then, or do I have them do their lines individually?

I am going to be switching from AVID over to PREMIERE to do the audio. Thank you for your time

'sup, good Armand :cool:

I usually have to redub anything I do (lucky me). Here's what I do.
  • Burn a DVD, with chapter markers set just before each segment that needs replacing.
  • Play it in a portable DVD player, with 2 sets of headphones. (Use splitter)
  • Actor gets full ear-covering headphones.
  • I get bud-style earphones. Only use one ear, to see/hear if actor syncing the video.
  • Keep volume low on the playback, otherwise actor gets louder than normal.
  • Hit record on the recorder, and start recording replacement dialogue.
  • Make a comment after each take, and note which takes are sync'd/good. (Helps for the importing later)
  • Have a beer when done. :beer:

Each actor would do theirs seperately, to avoid having multiple cues in a single take.

Oh. When you burn the DVD, there might be some shots that have been edited with video overlays/whatever so you can't see the actor. You might need to turn off some video layers to make things easier. Same with multiple overlapping audio tracks.

That probably sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. It's not so bad. :)

If the world was a better place, cars would stop, people would shut up and planes wouldn't fly while us poor indies were shooting on location. But then we wouldn't get to enjoy the great moments that ADR brings to us. *sigh*

We tried to ADR in my apartment and the guy upstairs was blaring "It's Raining Men" - we eventually found a studio space that we rented and it was well worth it.

I agree with the basics, actors listening to their dialogue and repeating it over and over. Good one's get in a rythym and it goes faster as you get going.

Armand,

The above suggestions are good ones. Basically, there are many ways to do ADR. Some like to experiment till they find what works best for them and the actors. It really helps to have an ADR script prepared with the exact lines that need to be replaced including time code. If things don't work out well enough on your own PM me and maybe we can work out some studio time here in Hollwood. Good luck!

Doesn't Avid Xpress Pro have that audio feature built in where you can dub audio. Hot punching I think its called. I'll check it out at home tonight, but visit Avids forums those guys really help there too.

Back