Shooting faster than 24 fps?

Hey guys, so 24p has been the "film look" standard until recently the Hobbit was shot at 48fps (with much criticism). Are there any other films that have been shot entirely at higher frame rates like that? What would be the advantages of this? Disadvantages? I've always shot at 24p and am curious about maybe trying 30p, despite people saying it has a "digital" look to it. What is your experience with higher framerates? Is it best for a newbie filmmaker (like myself) to stick to 24p in order to get the most professional look in the easiest way? Anything is helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:
So when people do fast panning steadicam shots, how do they avoid motion blur with 24p? do you go past 180°?

image.php

Check out this baby
http://www.ascmag.com/store/product.php?productid=16677

Also, once you have a certain amount of experience as an operator, you inherently know what's going to work as a panning speed. It's all a matter of choice. Sometimes you want a fast pan with motion blur.

So is it sometimes necessary to change the shutter angle in order to capture the correct motion (such as with fast moving steadicam shots)?

It depends on what you consider the correct motion. Most movies leave the shutter speed the same throughout, no matter how fast the camera is moving. Audiences just accept the increased motion blur as natural, because it is to the human eye. The faster something moves, the more motion there will be. Most movies accept that, but once in a while some movies with the "Saving Private Ryan look", will increase the shutter speed, during action scenes for stylistic effect. But it's a stylistic effect and not a necessity. In fact if you change the shutter speed when moving a steadicam, you change the amount of light being captured by the camera, and your exposure will not match from shot to shot in a scene if you do this.

Last edited:
It looks a bit stuttery, but that might be just be vimeo weirdness too. Yes, you may have to adjust your shutter angle depending on the speed/direction the camera is going to move. Or for desired effect. For example, the beach storming scene in Saving Private Ryan was shot with a narrow shutter angle (faster shutter speed), and it has a much more staccato, much less fluid look. That was an artistic choice.

28 Days Later also used this effect. During the more intense scenes, the "infected" were shot with a very fast shutter speed, and the effect was kind of unsettling.

28 Days Later also used this effect. During the more intense scenes, the "infected" were shot with a very fast shutter speed, and the effect was kind of unsettling.

Done intentionally it can be a very cool effect (as your examples).

Done because the guy shooting the film doesn't know better than to change the shutter speed for exposure reasons it screams "Newbie". I don't know how many exterior shots I have seen in 48 hour and other films where every day exterior looks like saving private ryan because they increased the shutter speed for exposure reasons.

The problem with pans that are too fast isn't that there's too much motion blur, it's that the image starts to stutter across the screen. The pan speeds in the ASC handbook are designed to minimize that stuttering. Going to a higher shutter speed will worsen that stuttering - when it's used in movies like Saving Private Ryan and 28 Days Later it's specifically intended to create worse stuttering which breaks up the smoothness of the motion and causes a greater sense of disorientation in the audience.

If you want to pan quickly with less stuttering you actually have to go to a slower shutter speed, introducing more motion blur. Unfortunately this also tends to create the dreaded 'video look' because the motion becomes too fluid.

How fast you can pan is also dependent upon the size of the screen your audience is watching on. On a small screen, the jump in motion between each frame in a fast pan may amount to just a few inches. Projected theatrically that jump may be several feet. So if your target is primarily something like youtube you can get away with much faster pans.

Done intentionally it can be a very cool effect (as your examples).

Done because the guy shooting the film doesn't know better than to change the shutter speed for exposure reasons it screams "Newbie". I don't know how many exterior shots I have seen in 48 hour and other films where every day exterior looks like saving private ryan because they increased the shutter speed for exposure reasons.

and that's why i got a variable ND :)

How fast you can pan is also dependent upon the size of the screen your audience is watching on. On a small screen, the jump in motion between each frame in a fast pan may amount to just a few inches. Projected theatrically that jump may be several feet. So if your target is primarily something like youtube you can get away with much faster pans.

I only shoot for online distribution currently, so that's a good thing :cool:

Back